Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
tface023

Hurricane Dorian talk

Recommended Posts

Supposed to leave on Mariner Friday. We live in the Orlando area, so we don't have the worry of extra travel, BUT we are leaving behind our teenage kids with my elderly mother. We cannot just take off when their safety is at stake. This really BLOWS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2019 at 4:30 PM, Host Clarea said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

 

Air2Sea will make arrangements to get you to the next port if you don't make the ship on time.

 

Too many variables to know what the ship will do. 


If the next port is in a different country and the OP doesn't have a passport, they aren't going anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have a passport. I live in a state where my drivers license doesn’t work as ID in airports.  Also travel = life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ducklite said:


If the next port is in a different country and the OP doesn't have a passport, they aren't going anywhere.

For cruises originating in the US the only way Royal will get you to the next port is if it is in another country.  If your next stop was a US port they wont get you there as that would be a violation of the PVSA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, molly361 said:

We were on the shortened one on the Oasis 2 years ago and it was great.  It was 4 days instead of 7 and got 50% refund and 50% refundable OBC so a free cruise.  PLUS there was only 2700 put of 6000+ onboard.  Best Oasis class cruise ever!!!

 

Plus we only live an hour from PC

 

Plenty of seats for CATS I heard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, loudbmw said:

 

We had about 300 people leave the Oasis early when it was announced the cruise would be extended for Irma. They either had work commitments or wanted to prepare their Florida homes for the storm.  

 

They had to pay their own way home, not sure if they got refunded anything for leaving early.

 

Where did they leave from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Where did they leave from?

 

Mexico and Jamaica if I recall.

 

Lou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep checking the Port Canaveral website.  They are on alert status due to Dorian.  Predicting this to hit as Cat 2 or 3.  Governor has announced state of emergency for the state.  I’ve been through a Cat 2.  Hope they’re wrong about Dorian.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question on possible refund / future cruise credits. 

 

We are on Harmony for the cruise that was supposed to leave this Sunday. We paid $1500 for our Balcony cabin but used $750 in Royal Caribbean Visa credits and $750 cash. 

 

If they ended up doing a shorter cruise like what happened in September 2017 and offered 50% refund and a 50% future cruise credit, how would that work based on how we paid for the cruise.  Would we get $750 in refundable onboard credit and $750 in future cruise credit? Or do we get “penalized” for using the Visa RC credits and only get OBC and future cruise credits based on the $750 charges to our credit card?

 

Has anyone run into this scenario before?

 

Here was the wording used in 2017 for the offer on the shortened cruise:

 

“Should you choose to sail with us we will provide you with a refund of 50% of your cruise fare paid in the form of a refundable onboard credit, and an additional 50% future cruise credit.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

Question on possible refund / future cruise credits. 

 

We are on Harmony for the cruise that was supposed to leave this Sunday. We paid $1500 for our Balcony cabin but used $750 in Royal Caribbean Visa credits and $750 cash. 

 

If they ended up doing a shorter cruise like what happened in September 2017 and offered 50% refund and a 50% future cruise credit, how would that work based on how we paid for the cruise.  Would we get $750 in refundable onboard credit and $750 in future cruise credit? Or do we get “penalized” for using the Visa RC credits and only get OBC and future cruise credits based on the $750 charges to our credit card?

 

Has anyone run into this scenario before?

 

Here was the wording used in 2017 for the offer on the shortened cruise:

 

“Should you choose to sail with us we will provide you with a refund of 50% of your cruise fare paid in the form of a refundable onboard credit, and an additional 50% future cruise credit.”

 

I suspect you would get penalized, because that $750 credit is not considered money you spent, it's considered a one-time reduction in price of that cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

 

I suspect you would get penalized, because that $750 credit is not considered money you spent, it's considered a one-time reduction in price of that cruise.

Thanks Bob,

 

That’s what I was afraid of.  Maybe we could try to get the Visa credits restored.  Note to self... don’t use credits on cruises during hurricane season!!!

 

The wording for a refund in the past was “Given the changes to these sailings, if you are unable to travel and need to cancel your cruise, we will provide you with a 100% future cruise credit.”

 

I wonder if they can refund / reinstate the Visa credits and then refund the $750 paid as a future cruise credit. Or do we lose the $750 in Visa cruise credits in a refund scenario too???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked on the 9/1 Allure and have $150 obc for our Rccl credit card for this sailing. I plan to go back to them to reinstate the points if the cruise is cancelled or shortened considerably by RCCL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

Thanks Bob,

 

That’s what I was afraid of.  Maybe we could try to get the Visa credits restored.  Note to self... don’t use credits on cruises during hurricane season!!!

 

The wording for a refund in the past was “Given the changes to these sailings, if you are unable to travel and need to cancel your cruise, we will provide you with a 100% future cruise credit.”

 

I wonder if they can refund / reinstate the Visa credits and then refund the $750 paid as a future cruise credit. Or do we lose the $750 in Visa cruise credits in a refund scenario too???

 

I've never heard ot Visa points being restored.  If the redemption had been OBC, it could be transferred to another booking.  However, I don't know if they can somehow remove your discount redemption and apply it to another cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2019 at 5:38 PM, loudbmw said:

We were on the Oasis when Hurricane Irma hit Florida in 2017.  Since the storm was scheduled to make landfall around the end of our cruise, the Captain made the wise decision  to wait out the storm in the Gulf of Mexico where the weather was perfect.

 

Our seven day cruise ended up being ten days.  It wouldn’t have made any sense to even try to attempt to dock any sooner as all the airports were closed and the power was out for days in many places.

 

There were a ton of no shows for the following shortened cruise.  RCCL offered reduced rates for us to stay on board for the shortened cruise.  That worked out well since gas was in short supply in Florida and we were driving to Virginia.

 

We learned a few lessons while cruising during hurricane season, we ran out of meds but were able to buy them in Cozumel.  We now pack at least a week’s extra.  We filled our tank prior to parking so gas wasn’t needed until we got to South Carolina.

 

Parking in the terminal garage was also a wise decision.  Some guests that parked in off site surface lots found their cars totaled when a tornado hit one of the off site lots.

 

Lou

 

 

How was the water and waves? I’m sailing out Saturday and am worried it’s going to be rough 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, L0VES2travel said:

How was the water and waves? I’m sailing out Saturday and am worried it’s going to be rough 

 

We stayed far away from the storm and was very smooth.

 

This website will give you a good idea of what to expect.

 

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=natla_height

Edited by loudbmw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thrifty99 said:

Question on possible refund / future cruise credits. 

 

We are on Harmony for the cruise that was supposed to leave this Sunday. We paid $1500 for our Balcony cabin but used $750 in Royal Caribbean Visa credits and $750 cash. 

 

If they ended up doing a shorter cruise like what happened in September 2017 and offered 50% refund and a 50% future cruise credit, how would that work based on how we paid for the cruise.  Would we get $750 in refundable onboard credit and $750 in future cruise credit? Or do we get “penalized” for using the Visa RC credits and only get OBC and future cruise credits based on the $750 charges to our credit card?

 

Has anyone run into this scenario before?

 

Here was the wording used in 2017 for the offer on the shortened cruise:

 

“Should you choose to sail with us we will provide you with a refund of 50% of your cruise fare paid in the form of a refundable onboard credit, and an additional 50% future cruise credit.”

 

Ongoing thread

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, L0VES2travel said:

How was the water and waves? I’m sailing out Saturday and am worried it’s going to be rough 

According to the latest cone projection from the National Hurricane Center, Dorian will be in the eastern Bahamas at 2pm on Saturday and still off the Space Coast of Florida on Sunday at 2pm, seas and winds should be normal at sailing time on Saturday.

Edited by MISTER 67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaving on 9.1 allure......when should we expect info on sailing and if it is delayed or not....orlando residents worried abour leaving our home ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Flamingo33 said:

Leaving on 9.1 allure......when should we expect info on sailing and if it is delayed or not....orlando residents worried abour leaving our home ....

The email from royal today said to expect updates sometime tomorrow.  I also have a friend who is working on the harmony right now who said he’d let me know if he hears anything 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tface023 said:

The email from royal today said to expect updates sometime tomorrow.  I also have a friend who is working on the harmony right now who said he’d let me know if he hears anything 

 

Orlando news anchor did a live report from Harmony during 6pm newscast.  

 

He said their original Western Caribbean itinerary had been changed to an Eastern itinerary. 🤣

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

He said their original Western Caribbean itinerary had been changed to an Eastern itinerary. 🤣

That's what ruins my profession when someone can't get their facts right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, Anxious cruiser here. We are on a Symphony cruise that leaves on Tuesday, Sept 3rd   If the cruise before ours can not get to the port on Tuesday what happens to our cruise?  When and how will we be notified if this happens? Surely we will be notified before arriving at the port? Do we get a full refund, cruise credit or do we just get a shortened cruise? Do we get a choice? I know everyone says don't worry, just enjoy your cruise and you should have never done a cruise during hurricane season but none of that helps me now😊 I also don't have insurance😕

I know that many thousand people have cruised during hurricane season with no problems but I know  I will never do it again. Lessons learned. 

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...