What is the port for a fjord cruise in Norway?

ontheweb

And/or go to hurtigruten.com , a Norwegian based line.  The choices are myriad.  We began our trip in Bergen and went north to Kirkenes and back.  People joined and left at various of the almost 40! ports.

13 minutes ago, clo said:

And/or go to hurtigruten.com , a Norwegian based line.  The choices are myriad.  We began our trip in Bergen and went north to Kirkenes and back.  People joined and left at various of the almost 40! ports.

That's because Hurtigruten are a ferry and not a true cruise line.

Just now, Extra Kim said:

That's because Hurtigruten are a ferry and not a true cruise line.

Where you got that idea is completely beyond me.  We took them to Antarctica as just one example.  You might consider fact checking before saying things like that.  Sheesh.

36 minutes ago, clo said:

People joined and left at various of the almost 40! ports.

20 minutes ago, clo said:

Where you got that idea is completely beyond me.  We took them to Antarctica as just one example.  You might consider fact checking before saying things like that.  Sheesh.

You even wrote it your self..

Tell me more about how the Norweigans doesn't use Hurtigruten for transportation... 🙄

Sure Hurtigruten have cruises, but that's not the whole picture. 

Just now, Extra Kim said:

You even wrote it your self..

Tell me more about how the Norweigans doesn't use Hurtigruten for transportation... 🙄

Sure Hurtigruten have cruises, but that's not the whole picture. 

We cruised with a couple of 'Americans' who left at the most northern port.  And we cruised with an Australian couple who left part way through the return.  The 100 or so people who we saw on the ship - the day trippers were restricted to a cafe' type area - weren't using it as a ferry.

I find that when I admit I'm wrong, that I really don't know everything, then I learn stuff.

• Like 1

The 14 day Land of the Midnight Sun cruise on Princess departs and returns to Southampton.  We did it this summer and it was wonderful!  Norway is incredibly scenic, the ports (which we knew very little about before the cruise) were very interesting, and we had 4 days/nights above the Arctic Circle when the sun never set.

https://www.visitnorway.com/media/news-from-norway/hurtigruten-from-the-arctic-to-the-amazon/

The Hurtigruten freight and passenger ships are a source of enormous pride for most Norwegians.

The ships have been carrying local passengers, visitors and cargo between cities, towns and hamlets since 1893. Today, the Hurtigruten ships mostly sail along Norway's western and northern coast between Bergen and Kirkenes – sometimes described as “the world's most beautiful sea voyage”.

From 2017, however, a few of the ships will embark on journeys in other exotic parts of the world as well.

In total, Hurtigruten added 23 new expedition voyages to its programme for 2017/18, and now offer more than 200 ports of call in 18 countries worldwide.

3 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

The Hurtigruten freight and passenger ships are a source of enormous pride for most Norwegians.

And for me too - even though I'm not Norwegian 🙂  We feel kinda special because we've cruised her.  The Antarctica trip on Midnatsol was amazing but we signed up for the Norwegian coast cruise on Lofoten because we loved the line so much.  And we were NOT disappointed.  Here's the photo that for me gives the flavor of that ship.

IMG_6680 - Edited.jpg

To the OP- we use the port of Newcastle for cruises to Norway, a northerly UK port not far across the North Sea from Norway- you can be in the fjords in the afternoon of the first day.

There are many cruises to Norway from Southampton- virtually every line home porting there in summer will do a trip. 

3 hours ago, clo said:

Kim is correct when he say that Hurtigruten isn't a true cruiseline.

Do they have cruises? Yes, for example the cruise you took to Antarctica.

The "ferryroute" from Bergen to Kirkenes and back is not a "real" cruise. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Is it Oslo, or is it some small port? If the latter, do you fly to Oslo?

as mentioned, cruises can go from many ports and pick up the fiords. Cruise time tables is your best bet, and search for cruises that get to Olden, Gerainger, Hellyst and such.

Next year we're booked on the NB coastal tour.  We'll likely fly into Oslo (on Norwegian Air), spend a couple of days, take the train to Bergen which is supposed to be stunning, spend a couple of days in Bergen and then sail, disembarking in Kirkenes and perhaps flying to Copenhagen from there.  Not sure about the rest of the trip.

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

We're booked on a 9 day Norway cruise RT from Dover England in June 2020.  Ports are Bergen, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Molde, Olden, Alesund and Stavenger.

Are you coming into Bergen ahead of time?  There are some wonderful restaurants there.  Scandanavia is setting a high standard these days for great food.

Oh, poop, you're not beginning in Bergen.  But you should be able to find great lunch also.

Edited by clo