"A Loyal to Royal" goes MSC

Esronnie01

Hi there,

In may next year we will be sailing on the MSC Seaview. 

We did the status match program and received our Gold Status for MSC.

I have a couple of questions for now: 

Is there any big differences for cruising with MSC for us comparing to RCL?

Will there be something like the Diamond Lounge (RCL) on MSC Seaview? 

Are the speciality coffees included in the drink package?

Thanks in advance, maybe i have some more questions but this is it for now.

Esther

Good morning Ester, We are loyal to Royal or at least have been. We have been very interested in trying MSC we did status match we also received Gold from MSC. We were thinking of trying Seaside. However, last week I stumbled on a great deal for Armonia for September 23rd. We like smaller ships and really looking forward to trying MSC. I’m curious to see what others reply to you so I’ll be following!  

1 hour ago, Esronnie01 said:

Hi there,

Esther

Welcome to MSC! I just sailed them for the first time last week on a seven night Adriatic sailing on Magnifica. I had an awesome time. 

MSC has exclusive spaces for passengers booked in the Yacht Club,  and for those booked with the Aurea experience. There is no loyalty lounge,  but on my cruise I attended a Black Card cocktail party and a larger Voyager Club party with the captain. 

MSC has the best drinks package in the industry. For the easy package, it includes alcoholic beverages up to €6, all of which are listed in a distinct section of the booze menu (at least at the pool bar). Further, the package includes half and full litre bottles of water, soda in cans and espresso drinks. All for a low, low price. Couldn't be easier. Just don't drink from the minibar! 

We, too, have been long-time RCCL Celebrity cruisers.  We are anxiously (and happily, I might add) our December trip on the Divina.  We're booked in Yacht Club for a fraction of what we would pay on either of the others...we are well aware that it will be a different experience as MSC is a European owned line as opposed to USA.  We're really excited!

The biggest difference for me, having sailed mostly with NCL and HAL is this: you will not get your cruise card until after you board the ship. If you want a drink before the cabins are available, you are supposed to show your cruise voucher, which has your name and cabin number. Most importantly, you have to activate your card by linking it to a credit card using a kiosk sometime during the cruise. I learned this as I was trying to disembark and learned I had not settled my account! This was my 32nd cruise, and I am pretty good at process. I don't know how I missed that step. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Esronnie01 said:

Hi there,

Esther

7 cruises this year; 5 with RCI and 2 with MSC.

Ships are beautiful and spotless. I was on Jewel last month and she looked tired by comparison.

MSC have the cheapest drinks package afloat. €10pppd gets you pretty much everything, they do great coffee as you would expect. Coffee comes with a little chocolate; drinks come with a bowl of chips or nuts....  No there is no DL. 

Personally I don't rate the shows; canned music. I prefer the RCI orchestra; but that said the other venues like the Jazz bar are great.

Sports bar serves free burgers 🍔

They are good at keeping kids out of the adult only pools and adult only bars.

Ive got YC booked for less than a regular balcony on Edge 🤷‍♀️ so their pricing is very competitive

You'll get used to hearing announcements in multiple languages.

• Like 1

Like the Op and so many others, we are also booked on our first MSC (Seaside) for March 2020.  Looking forward to trying the Yacht Club and comparing the experience to both NCL Haven and Celebrity Suite Life.  We have a 9 nighter coming up on Celebrity so I'm going to wait until after that sailing to submit my status match request with MSC.  To be honest, it's the price of the YC that is drawing us as suite cruising on NCL and Celebrity has increased so much in price over the last few years.  Am very curious to see how MSC's product compares when the price is so much lower, and have been lurking on the MSC board for more insight as well.  None the less, we are so looking forward to our cruise on Seaside.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Also a RC loyalist straying to MSC.  Doing Seaside YC for 14 nights next month.  While pricing was a consideration (as always) the RC product seems to have gotten a little "stale" to us.  Cancelled a 6 + 8 B2B on Indy in a standard balcony for just about the same $ as the YC 14 night.  Seems like a no brainer - time will tell.

Also a Royalist going MSC on the Seaside next spring.  Canceled a sailing on the about to be released NCL Encore to flip over.

I'm very interested in what MSC is going to do in the US markets.  Prices and fees have been creeping up for a while and I wouldn't exactly say the product has been getting better in the industry.  MSC looks to be disrupting this, and I hope they do.  Inflated prices on massive ships seems like a bubble that could pop at any moment, and have a crushing impact on the industry.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

......To be honest, it's the price of the YC that is drawing us........

The YC price WAS good value but in the last 9-12months their prices have sky rocketed.

The biggest problem in YC is the lack of shade and that turned us off rebooking Seaside.  The YC food is also a big let-down it doesn't even compare to Celebrity MDR and the onboard service is poor due to their rapid expansion with lack of trained personnel. Don't build your hopes up too high or you'll be very disappointed.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

The YC price WAS good value but in the last 9-12months their prices have sky rocketed.

The biggest problem in YC is the lack of shade and that turned us off rebooking Seaside.  The YC food is also a big let-down it doesn't even compare to Celebrity MDR and the onboard service is poor due to their rapid expansion with lack of trained personnel. Don't build your hopes up too high or you'll be very disappointed.

Yeh, but it's all relative.  Many will say NCL's quality of service has declined and their food is subpar.  The new Celebrity movement to "Edgeify" their ships have left many complaining about a lack of shade.  And while YC prices may be creaping up, they are still less that suites on NCL or X...can't say about RCCL.  I'm going in with an open mind but appreciate your opinion as an experienced MSC cruiser.

We've been on 5 MSC cruise by now...we love MSC, BUT....it is an Italian cruise company, and that means different service! Not the perfect service Americans are use to. The ships are spotless. We've been on the new Seaview (2018) and the old Fantasia (2019), there are ten years between these two ships, but they are both still looking new! 

The easy Drink Package is very easy...and cheap...although the prices had gone op since last november. Easy is still allright, but Premium is better...almost all cocktails and specialty drinks are on it...and Premium you can use in specialty restaurants, Easy drink package not.

But for the american cruisers, I urge you not to expect any service! This is normal in Europe, but not for you I guess. Also be aware that on Europe sailings there will be a lot of Italians, French and Spanish people. They have another perspective on being polite. They will cut the queue anywhere they can. So the buffet is always a ratrace....or a jungle.

We are used to it by now, but our last cruise was in the Baltic without southern Europeans and it was a breeze! 

The Seaview (and Seaside) look beuatiful, and especially in the Caribbean they will be suited for the weather. There is a lot of deck....and deckchairs....and pools.

I do not know anything on YC. Too much money....

• Like 5

4 hours ago, korpo024 said:

We've been on 5 MSC cruise by now...we love MSC, BUT....it is an Italian cruise company, and that means different service! Not the perfect service Americans are use to. The ships are spotless. We've been on the new Seaview (2018) and the old Fantasia (2019), there are ten years between these two ships, but they are both still looking new! 

The easy Drink Package is very easy...and cheap...although the prices had gone op since last november. Easy is still allright, but Premium is better...almost all cocktails and specialty drinks are on it...and Premium you can use in specialty restaurants, Easy drink package not.

But for the american cruisers, I urge you not to expect any service! This is normal in Europe, but not for you I guess. Also be aware that on Europe sailings there will be a lot of Italians, French and Spanish people. They have another perspective on being polite. They will cut the queue anywhere they can. So the buffet is always a ratrace....or a jungle.

We are used to it by now, but our last cruise was in the Baltic without southern Europeans and it was a breeze! 

The Seaview (and Seaside) look beuatiful, and especially in the Caribbean they will be suited for the weather. There is a lot of deck....and deckchairs....and pools.

I do not know anything on YC. Too much money....

Hiya. I just completed my first MSC cruise on Magnifica, and I loved it. I would agree that the service in the MDR during breakfast and lunch was comparatively poor. It was often chaotic, and it was virtually impossible to determine who was supposed to be taking my order, gold tie or no. That said, dinner service was excellent, and generally the bar service was excellent. Even at the pool bar, it was relatively easy to find the helpful bartenders and stick to them. I got just as many "Sir John!"s as a greeting on MSC as I would have on HAL, I think.

I would also say that the vast majority of the passengers aboard were from Italy and France. I did not find them especially different from North Americans or northern Europeans. That said, I never set foot, even once, in the buffet. Maybe that is the key.

Finally, I was persuaded aboard to upgrade to the premium drinks package, and I did not regret my choice. It was just as good a value as the easy package. So long as MSC does not go the way of NCL by massively increasing prices while decreasing services, they are my new go-to cruise line.

• Like 2

We are also past loyal to Royal cruisers . We have  status matched to the black card which gives you a free speciality dinner , sparkling wine ,chocolate strawberries and more .   We have tried NCL and MSC love them both , but MSC  is more affordable .  Until MSC goes up on  the pricing we will continue to cruise with MSC.

10 hours ago, little britain said:

7 cruises this year; 5 with RCI and 2 with MSC.

Ships are beautiful and spotless. I was on Jewel last month and she looked tired by comparison.

MSC have the cheapest drinks package afloat. €10pppd gets you pretty much everything, they do great coffee as you would expect. Coffee comes with a little chocolate; drinks come with a bowl of chips or nuts....  No there is no DL. 

Personally I don't rate the shows; canned music. I prefer the RCI orchestra; but that said the other venues like the Jazz bar are great.

Sports bar serves free burgers 🍔

Wondering which ship this was on?  Have been on Seaside for 2 weeks and the sports bar charged for food.  

Sports bar food was free on Divina.  Was just on Armonia.  There was food in White Lion Pub but I don't believe it was free.  There were 1900 passengers onboard and 900 were not residents of North America.  We loved the shows, but we are music and dance people.  Yes, the music is canned, but in the lounges it is all live.  We were on the extended Dorian cruise, with double stops at Costa Maya and Cozumel.  They ran out of shows, so one night was the Crew Show, and two nights later, the Crew's Got Talent show.  Totally different, too.  EM

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George C said:

We recently made diamond plus on rccl and looking forward to yacht club on seaside in November, doubt  msc can match entertainment but sure we will like it. 

We are halfway to Pinnacle and had our first non Royal cruise last year on Seaside in YC.  Since sailig on Seaside we have been on 7 Royal cruises and have another 5 more before we board Seaside again in June.  MSC is a great value compared to Royal for sure.  What we paid for a crown loft suite last Oct would get us almost 2 weeks in YC at the same time.  The YC1 cabins are about the same size as JS on royal.  The food in YC dining room was better than Coastal Kitchen and the pizza on MSC is way better than Royal.  

There are lots more to compare but go with an open mind and enjoy yourself.  Dont go onboard and compare everything to Royal, MSC is different but the same.  I am sure you will enjoy yourself.  If we didn't enjoy our first cruise with MSC, we wouldn't have another 2 weeks on Seaside in June.  Also we had the best waiter ever in all our cruises on Seaside.  We were lucky to have the infamous Arthur.  

1 minute ago, frank808 said:

We are halfway to Pinnacle and had our first non Royal cruise last year on Seaside in YC.  Since sailig on Seaside we have been on 7 Royal cruises and have another 5 more before we board Seaside again in June.  MSC is a great value compared to Royal for sure.  What we paid for a crown loft suite last Oct would get us almost 2 weeks in YC at the same time.  The YC1 cabins are about the same size as JS on royal.  The food in YC dining room was better than Coastal Kitchen and the pizza on MSC is way better than Royal.  

There are lots more to compare but go with an open mind and enjoy yourself.  Dont go onboard and compare everything to Royal, MSC is different but the same.  I am sure you will enjoy yourself.  If we didn't enjoy our first cruise with MSC, we wouldn't have another 2 weeks on Seaside in June.  Also we had the best waiter ever in all our cruises on Seaside.  We were lucky to have the infamous Arthur.  

Crown loft cost on my Oasis in November 2018 was same as our cost for YC November 2019, we did upgrade to owners suite. But was not at all impressed with costal kitchen, free drinks just for a few hours compared to all day on YC ,  do love food on celebrity suite restaurant and drinks in suite lounge but cost for that is way more than YC or RCCL suites. Our first YC is on seaside in November. 

4 hours ago, George C said:

Crown loft cost on my Oasis in November 2018 was same as our cost for YC November 2019, we did upgrade to owners suite. But was not at all impressed with costal kitchen, free drinks just for a few hours compared to all day on YC ,  do love food on celebrity suite restaurant and drinks in suite lounge but cost for that is way more than YC or RCCL suites. Our first YC is on seaside in November. 

I’ve never seen a CLS for under £10,000..... YC cost £4,000....!

19 hours ago, Cruiser Bruiser said:

The biggest difference for me, having sailed mostly with NCL and HAL is this: you will not get your cruise card until after you board the ship. If you want a drink before the cabins are available, you are supposed to show your cruise voucher, which has your name and cabin number. Most importantly, you have to activate your card by linking it to a credit card using a kiosk sometime during the cruise. I learned this as I was trying to disembark and learned I had not settled my account! This was my 32nd cruise, and I am pretty good at process. I don't know how I missed that step. 

Actually on the seaside you get your card when you check in before you get on the ship

Hi,

Thank you for all your input and answers, really appreciate your point of view.

I'm still researching tot make our cruise a good one. Very looking forward to this cruise.

We're a group a 6, 2 of them have sailed on MSC before (this is going to be their 2nd cruise ever), 2 have never cruised and then there is us (25 cruises total, 1 with HAL, 1 Carnival (first cruise in 2005), 1 NCL and the rest is RCL).

We  will have a good time because we're celebrating the 25th anniversary of our company.

I'm now looking at the drink packages and with one to choose.

Soon we wil having a meeting with our group to determine what shore excursions we will do, etc.

We are sailing out of Barcelona so also looking for plane tickets, etc.

Have a wonderful day!

Esther