Passports Required For All Guests?

tickbite

I'm taking my kids and grandkids to Orlando and the Bahamas on the Anthem of the Seas in March, 2020.  Printed materials from my TA state that everyone must have a valid passport on Royal Caribbean.  We've been on a bunch of cruises in the past, and a valid drivers license and original birth certificate have always worked.  Have the rules changed?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

4 minutes ago, tickbite said:

I'm taking my kids and grandkids to Orlando and the Bahamas on the Anthem of the Seas in March, 2020.  Printed materials from my TA state that everyone must have a valid passport on Royal Caribbean.  We've been on a bunch of cruises in the past, and a valid drivers license and original birth certificate have always worked.  Have the rules changed?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/united-states-citizen-travel-documentation

5 minutes ago, tickbite said:

No the rules haven't changed.  Saying that a passport is always best.

5 minutes ago, tickbite said:

Rules have not changed,  As long as the ship is leaving and returning to the same US port, US citizens only need a certified copy of their birth certificate and a government issued photo ID. Children under 16 don't need the photo ID.

• Like 2

This FAQ is worded differently than the one referenced above.  It talks about birth certificates for children, and either passports or WHTI documents for adults. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-travel-documents-are-required-for-cruises-from-united-states-ports

As long as you are on a closed loop and nothing happens that you have to fly home from outside the US, you should be ok, but a passport is always best

Edited by h20skibum

You are travelling to a foreign country.  With children.   Anything can happen.   You should not travel abroad without a passport.   Boarding the ship isn’t the issue.   The issue is if you miss the ship, or someone gets injured and has to be taken ashore for medical - you will have a tough time getting home.   Yes - it can be done.  But it’s just about the last stress you will need.  

I know it’s a pain.   And I know it’s an expense.   And I know you will more than likely be fine. But in the event of the unknown you’re safer to have passports for all.  

Personally - my kids have had passports since birth.  And lemme tell you - getting a passport photo with a 2 month old is NO joy.  Then we got them their nexus cards too.   Travelling with them  is so much easier. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, tickbite said:

The rules have not changed. If the Bahamas cruise is closed loop, leaving from and returning to the same US port a drivers license and birth certificate can be used instead of a passport. 

16 hours ago, tickbite said:

Exceptions:

• United States citizens on cruises that begin and end at the same port in the United States can use a original government-issued picture ID (i.e. driver's license) AND an original government-issued birth certificate or original Naturalization Certificate.
  • Minors under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original government-issued, original or certified copy of his or her birth certificate; a Consular Report of Birth Abroad Issued by DOA; or Certificate of Naturalization issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are NOT acceptable. Military identification cards, voter registration cards or Social Security cards are NOT considered proof of citizenship.

If you don't need one, you don't need one.

Don't listen to these people who tell you to buy them.  

Nobody is flying home, they are just trying to scare you.

Bahamas is not exactly Beirut.

Just bring  Birth certificates  or what you need.   No issues.

28 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

What guarantees are you going to give that nothing can happen?  If OP didn't already have some doubts, this topic wouldn't exist.

If you are willing to take that risk, that is up to you.  If OP is willing to risk it after taking on board all the comments in this thread, including yours, so be it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, banzaii said:

What guarantees are you going to give that nothing can happen?  If OP didn't already have some doubts, this topic wouldn't exist.

If you are willing to take that risk, that is up to you.  If OP is willing to risk it after taking on board all the comments in this thread, including yours, so be it.

I am going to guarantee nothing will happen to them.

And they won't need to fly home....

21 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Will you extend that guarantee to all CC members.... And come good with financial assistance if you're wrong?

No one will ever need insurance again!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, banzaii said:

The OP was asking if there had been a change in requirements. That has been answered. No change. There is no reason for people to browbeat them to  get a passport or to not get a passport. They have enough information. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The OP was asking if there had been a change in requirements. That has been answered. No change. There is no reason for people to browbeat them to  get a passport or to not get a passport. They have enough information. 

So just where in my comments have I brow beaten the OP about anything?  I didn't even provide an opinion on passports so I apologize for getting off topic.

1 hour ago, banzaii said:

So just where in my comments have I brow beaten the OP about anything?  I didn't even provide an opinion on passports so I apologize for getting off topic.

I did not say “you” were browbeating them or mean to imply that about you. That was a generalization about where the discussion went after the OPs question was answered. Yet some are persistent in advice. Including the one guaranteeing nothing will happen to them or they won’t need to fly home. No one can guarantee anything.

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Wow, you can't guarantee that. Emergencies will happen. Have you ever been on a cruise when the Alpha Call goes out. Well it did for my husband in 2017 4 days from completing out TA when he had a heart attack. So please don't post nothing will happen. I nor anyone here wishes to scare the OP but wish to point out that a pass port while not needed for the cruise itself is important to have when & if that unfortunate emergency or situation arises when your forced to fly home. 

3 hours ago, matj2000 said:

That is not the best advice to give someone. Not trying to scare them, just encouraging them to do the BEST option over doing the least option. While it is true that the odds of a person being stranded/left behind on an island cruise in a foriegn port. As a travel agent I can tell you from past personal experience that it CAN and DOES happen. Better to be safe than sorry...

• Like 2