No movie theatre on the Eurodam?

canadarocks

It's all about space utilization, and making every square foot on a ship generate enough revenue to justify that space.  If you are sitting in a small movie theater, all you can snack on is the free popcorn.  No other revenue is generated.  However, if you are watching a movie in your cabin, on the 42" flat screen TV's, you can order snacks and drinks from  room service.   Follow the money, and you will always be able to figure out why these changes are made.   

52 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

Well that sucks.... 😡

Same thing (Screening Room changed into meeting room Tasman Room) occurred on her sister Nieuw Amsterdam. "Big screen movies" are now being shown in the Main Stage. Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam did not have a Screening Room when built

6 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I cannot understand why they won't provide a movie theater especially if they already have one.  I would much rather watch a movie in a theater than in my stateroom.  It certainly is an inexpensive way for HAL to provide entertainment.

We don't watch movies on a ship.

But now that the cabins have the TV screen on the wall in front of the bed -- horrible idea.  I would not want to sit on a bed watching the TV.

When we sailed on Zuiderdam we were very excited about seeing a movie in the theater...until our first attempt and we saw that there were so few seats there.  We arrived 30 minutes before the movie and there was no space.

We tried the next showing a day or two later and decided to arrive 45-50 minutes before and got the last two seats in the room.  There had to be at least 50 more people who arrived after we sat down, disappointed that there was no place to sit.  All I could think was "Why don't they just show the movie in the showroom during the day so more people can see it?"  Or at least re-configure the space to put more seats in.  I'll admit, the chairs were super comfy but they didn't need to be as large as they were to be comfortable.

After that experience we said we'd skip movies in the theater.  I couldn't see wasting an hour of my vacation waiting inside a theater for a movie to start.  

The movie theatre was one of my favorite things on the Eurodam.  The seats were great and the popcorn was a special treat.  The showroom should be for live entertainment....it’s really not that comfy to sit there for a long time.  Outdoor movies are a noisy distraction as far as I’m concerned.....and in Alaska (no thank you)!

On 9/25/2019 at 3:44 AM, asebastian said:

In the NS, they also showed feature films on the big LED screen in the top deck pool area. Lots of deck chairs and other seats arranged all round the pool, but the sound is not too good, bad acoustics.

Too bad they can't use the Navigator app to "bluetooth" (or similar) the sound to your mobile device and then you could use headphones while you watch the outdoor movie.

21 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

The movie theatre was one of my favorite things on the Eurodam.  The seats were great and the popcorn was a special treat.  The showroom should be for live entertainment....it’s really not that comfy to sit there for a long time.  Outdoor movies are a noisy distraction as far as I’m concerned.....and in Alaska (no thank you)!

On the K, they only showed movies at night. I think there was a nature film in the afternoon, but no sound. The rest of the time there were video clips of water drops or geometric shapes. No sound, so easy to ignore.

I loved the outdoor movies on the K. Sound was poor if you sat on the second level, but it was good at the lounges on the lower level. The only time we had trouble hearing was a rough night when the pool made a lot of splashy noises.

When I was on Maasdam last fall some of the movies were related to the itinerary - ex. Mutiny on the Bounty , Gauguin, several others.

On Zaandam last winter - March of the Penguins, Evita, "something" Tango (can't remember the first word).

I did enjoy them, added to the itinerary.