Received Upsell Offer

ricka47

The offer is B1 to Concierge (don't know location) for $400 total on an 11-night Caribbean cruise on Insignia.  There is nothing abut the upgrade that is a really big deal and the early restaurant booking advantage is already past.  I'm thinking of letting it pass - would anyone else accept it?  We have a B1 guarantee and perhaps we will end up with a Concierge cabin without having to pay if I say no to the offer. Is there some great advantage that makes it worth it?

Edited by ricka47

Not sure if this is the case or not, but I have read that they most likely do not upgrade outside of your category. I booked a guarantee PH3 on my upcoming cruise and received a PH1. Here is what it says is included. I paid $500 last year to upgrade from the concierge to a penthouse and having the walk in closet sold me! The problem is I never want to go back now! Haha

• "In addition to Stateroom amenities"
  • Expanded lunch and dinner room service menu from the Grand Dining Room
  • Free laundry service – up to 3 bags per stateroom 
  • Priority Noon ship embarkation 
  • Complimentary welcome bottle of Champagne
  • Priority online specialty restaurant reservations
  • Unlimited access to Canyon Ranch® private Spa Terrace
  • iPad® upon request for your enjoyment on board (limited availability)
  • Complimentary Oceania Cruises logo tote bag
  • Cashmere lap blankets, perfect for relaxing on your veranda 
  • Complimentary pressing of garments upon embarkation (certain limitations apply)
  • Complimentary shoe shine service
  • All Suites and Staterooms are Smoke-Free
Edited by Misssmb

23 minutes ago, Misssmb said:

Not sure if this is the case or not, but I have read that they most likely do not upgrade outside of your category.

Not true, but it IS almost unheard of to be upgraded from a Cabin to a Penthouse or from a Penthouse to one of the Big Suites.

That said, the upsell offers are extremely time sensitive, so it is worth it to have a cost threshold in mind (i.e. I will accept upsell offers costing up to $250 per person) before the offer comes in.

If an upsell offer is not  accepted immediately, they move on to  the next person...

• Like 2

Ricka47,  looking at your signature I see this is your first O cruise.  Nice for you to receive an upsell offer.  I have been on just a few (4) O cruises and have never received one.  Not sure what I would do if I did.  We've been everywhere between A3 and PH2.  

For those more experienced O cruisers than I am, now I am wondering how often this happens.  I guess it has something to do with how full the ship is just prior to embarkation.  Apparently all 4 of my O cruises have been very popular and there was no need to offer upsells.  🙄 

Enjoy your cruise!

11 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

For those more experienced O cruisers than I am, now I am wondering how often this happens.  I guess it has something to do with how full the ship is just prior to embarkation.  Apparently all 4 of my O cruises have been very popular and there was no need to offer upsells.

It probably has more to do with your choice of accommodation than how full the ship was.

Upsells occur more frequently in what would be:

1) the least expensive Inside Cabin

2) the least expensive outside Cabin

3) the least expensive veranda Cabin

Have taken upsells on two of our three O cruises - from PH1 to Vista, and from PH1 to Oceania Suite.  The first was our first O cruise and we had booked online.  They second was our third O cruise and we had used one of their preferred TA's.  When they say, it's hard to go back, it's true.  We booked an Oceania Suite on our next cruise.  Don't think they'll offer an upsell on top of that.

We received an upsell  offer yesterday for our Oct. 6th cruise, we were booked in an inside F and were offered a B1 veranda

for 400 cdn. so it was a no-brainer. This our first offer to move up through 5 cruises. Who knows who gets the chance or why?

4 hours ago, Misssmb said:

Here is what it says is included.

Too lazy to go to my booking but I'm almost 100% sure that our veranda concierge 'status' gives us these exact things.  You likely get to embark a little earlier and maybe you get more reservations and earlier booking but all the rest is the same.

If you are interested in receiving an upsell (even if you're not sure if you'll want to accept) AND if you booked with a TA, it helps to let your TA know you would be receptive if any offers come along.

In O's very early days we received an offer to go from a PH to an OS on Regatta but we had told our TA that we'd be interested.  One did come up very close to boarding time.  We accepted that one because I really wanted to be in an OS at least once.  Since that was the cruise where I tore my meniscus the day before boarding and was using a wheelchair and/or crutches on that cruise, it was perfect timing.  I was able to get around the OS in the wheelchair which I could NOT have done in a PH.

Mura

1 hour ago, Mura said:

Since that was the cruise where I tore my meniscus the day before boarding

I've been meaning to tell you this for a while Mura-

They estimate that 25% of UPS and Fedex drivers regularly work with  torn meniscus (menisci?).

The time of the "delicate flower" is ended.  😆

Edited by StanandJim

7 minutes ago, Mura said:

Then I guess I'm still a delicate flower because there's no way I could have done that! 🤭

Perhaps because unbeknownst to me I also had arthritic knees?????

Mura

Perhaps a couple of Martinis (Martinus?) will help us figure it out  🍸🍸

I read about these things and know how lucky we are.  I booked directly with O and had/have a great agent.  We hit it off really well.  Maybe an hour or two after booking he notified me that he'd gotten us upgraded from a regular veranda to veranda concierge at no extra charge.

Oh, and we're a couple of doors from OS so I want to make some new BFFs 🙂

Edited by clo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, StanandJim said:

They estimate that 25% of UPS and Fedex drivers regularly work with  torn meniscus (menisci?).

Funny you'd say that since I've had personal experience with this.

Both of my medial menisci shredded in 2011 (from years of running and high impact aerobics)...verified by an MRI. For the past 8 yrs I've continued working as a staff nurse walking 3-4 miles/day, 12 hr shifts, 3 days/week. Since I retired, I power walk 4-5 miles/day and lift weights for 45 minutes. The only accommodation I've made is to wrap my knees with ace bandages during exercise for stability. 

Luckily there has recently been a new procedure approved to implant a "fake" silicone meniscus to replace the former one...I'm hoping this will be in my future. 😊

• Like 1

.Our first cruise was from concierge to an upsell  of a PH.My husband got the call from our agent  and had to reply straight away,so he did.Not an ideal position on the ship,but a very nice suite.But I have since always made  it clear I don’t want an upsell.I am intolerant of noise above me and believe that the cabins available for upsell  are unwanted cabins.I can’t spend my days and nights under scraping chairs  or people jogging on machines  in the gym.I choose the cabin carefully for peace of mind.

Its a very personal thing I guess.Some people like to be near the lifts or central in the ship.

P.S sometimes a torn meniscus can periodically slot back into its rightful position.If it is permanently torn and out of position,it is extremely painful,continually. I get where you are coming from Mura.😢

For me the only real benefit of going from a B1 to an A (Concierge) would be the laundry benefit.   But not for $200pp.

On our last cruise (20 nights) we got a upsell from a category F (inside) to an A1 (Concierge) for $500pp.   I said yes immediately.   If I remember right that was over 75% less than booking into that category.    There was no free laundry then, but I did enjoy the spa terrace several times.  😎

Joe

• Like 1

You were wise to pass it up!

Last cruise was 18 mos ago but we went from a G guarantee to an aft A2 for $500 total. It was an 18 day Tahiti-Hawaii-LA and was divine with that aft stateroom. The ship was 2/3 full so surely the explanation.

Have same itinerary coming up 4/20 with same G guarantee. Be quite surprised if offered any upsell as all categories are waitlisted except G and B1. Weird for a not so popular itinerary.

rcvd upsell last yr to a C-1 from a much lower cat., for a very reasonable amount,  i called my TA, who said for me to call special # listed in offer.  did that immediately, and was really pleased with cabin. I am booked this yr, and eagerly awaiting an upsell offer.

Edited by FetaCheese
addl. info.

8 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

rcvd upsell last yr to a C-1 from a much lower cat., for a very reasonable amount,  i called my TA, who said for me to call special # listed in offer.  did that immediately, and was really pleased with cabin. I am booked this yr, and eagerly awaiting an upsell offer.

How odd, most of us just tell our ta yes or no.