QM2 2020 Refit

rsquare

QM2 is scheduled for refit from 6 to 28 November 2020 (it is shown on the Cunard website as voyage M037).  Given that the ship just went through refit three years ago, I'm wondering what this one will cover.  Only thing that I've seen mentioned is a new spa; hard to believe that alone is a three-week job.

• Like 1

According to the Executive Housekeeper ( in conversation with her,  QM2 July 2019) Those ridiculous faded patterned carpets on the deck corridors, are to be changed.

Britannia category bathrooms are also part of the refit, so I would expect that some Grills bathrooms will undergo a refresh too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Spa definitely is overdue for a refit - this week the facilities [pool, hot tub] were closed/roped off for a couple of days this week while the overhead above the hot tub was being fixed [large piece fell off]. The pool was open yesterday while repairs continued. Discussing the state of the facilities [balky lockers] with another patron, I remarked that I have not noticed and significant updates since 2008 - he replied 'none since 2004'.

Outside of the spa, I noticed a myriad of 'deferred' maintenance details & deficiencies. On our balcony [5132] the fire sprinkler brackets had failed, and were replaced by four zip ties. [some 'running rust' from the rail where the sprinkler line should have been fastened]  Both the balcony and bathroom doors had loose / missing screws. Mrs Bear noticed a broken door in one of the ladies rooms. We both noticed lots of little things that added up to a very noticeable pattern.

I would expect a substantial update the the WiFi onboard - the system was *adequate* in 2008, but is laughably far behind the times for today - the LeHavre to D-Day beaches tour bus had much faster satellite internet.

I hope and cross fingers that ALL bathrooms get a makeover- those shower curtains are awefull! As for the carpets in the corridors- some like them - some not- but with all the passengers traffic in said corridors it is likley that they will be changed.

Wifi- should be taken care of soon- yes- and I don´t see a need for a drydock for that purpose!

Glad that they keep the QM2 shipshape.

Whatever Cunard does in the next refit won't please everyone.  When the 2016 refit was discussed here some missed the Winter Garden specifically because few events happened there so it was a quiet place to read and others even preferred the old King's Court.  The deck 7 and Grill refits were focus group tested but I don't know about this round since it is not a "gut it out" refit like the last one.  (The deck 13 staterooms were also added at that time.)

The spa is definitely overdue for a refresher as it's essentially unchanged since the ship went into service.  Canyon Ranch rolled out its "Mareel" concept so it's hard market their services as new when the surroundings look unchanged.

As for the Grills tubs - whatever they do somebody won't be pleased.  Jucuzzis are a selling point for some and others just like to soak in a tub.  Decor is in the eye of the beholder.  The last go-around was supposedly inspired on the original fittings of the first Queen Mary.

• Like 1

I sailed on a May Crossing in QG as was told by the head waiter that plans were to expand the Grills aft for more table space  and more deck space on deck 8 pool area...of course the deck 7 space will be reduced aft somewhat.., will the decor also be redone? He did not know..I like the ship as it is so I am hoping this will be dropped  Crossing again in Dec and will inquire

5 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

Whatever Cunard does in the next refit won't please everyone.  When the 2016 refit was discussed here some missed the Winter Garden specifically because few events happened there so it was a quiet place to read and others even preferred the old King's Court.  The deck 7 and Grill refits were focus group tested but I don't know about this round since it is not a "gut it out" refit like the last one.  (The deck 13 staterooms were also added at that time.)

The spa is definitely overdue for a refresher as it's essentially unchanged since the ship went into service.  Canyon Ranch rolled out its "Mareel" concept so it's hard market their services as new when the surroundings look unchanged.

As for the Grills tubs - whatever they do somebody won't be pleased.  Jucuzzis are a selling point for some and others just like to soak in a tub.  Decor is in the eye of the beholder.  The last go-around was supposedly inspired on the original fittings of the first Queen Mary.

I liked the old Kings Court better. It wasn't great, but at least it was organized.

I hope they do something good with the spa. I think it's too dark and dingy.

On 10/4/2019 at 11:07 PM, siforest65 said:

Just realised that we are on the first cruise after this work. A cheeky 3 night Bruges Christmas market job 

We were on the first cruise after the last re-fit.  While the ship ultimately looked good, on the first day, she and Cunard were not ready for prime time.

• 3 weeks later...

Typically, the critical path items that determine a drydock's length are the technical issues, not the hotel renovations.  As she will be 15 years old for this drydock, there are more intensive inspections of the ship's hull involved than in previous drydockings.

• Like 2

If I had to venture a guess the 2020 refit (especially if it turns out to be at Blohm and Voss) will feature updating all of the ships electronics including the satellite receivers and transmitters. I'm guessing that based in part on the length of time for the refit.

• 2 weeks later...

I am lead to believe that The Commodore Club will have  a drinks bar Grill fitted over the shelving,  to enable the Bottles to be stored in that area without the need to remove them each night. Hopefully the QM2 Model will stay.

Edited by Pennbank

On 11/18/2019 at 11:28 AM, Pennbank said:

I am lead to believe that The Commodore Club will have  a drinks bar Grill fitted over the shelving,  to enable the Bottles to be stored in that area without the need to remove them each night. Hopefully the QM2 Model will stay.

This explains why they are not showing the usual cruise for Nov. 26th. next year. I like to go on this every year now but am having to miss it this year and was disappointed to see there is none for November next year.

I'm sure the model will stay as it is iconic to the ship.

I'll be on Dec 8th and can ask about what the plan is - as I posted upthread if they do it at Blohm and Voss I expect they will also be updating the ships electronics and antennae too. 

On 11/18/2019 at 8:28 AM, Pennbank said:

I am lead to believe that The Commodore Club will have  a drinks bar Grill fitted over the shelving,  to enable the Bottles to be stored in that area without the need to remove them each night. 

One thing I hope they DO redo is the back bar in the Chart Room. Such an elegant room and the blonde wood looks like plywood. And the clock/barometer has been missing hands on the extra dials for years (since before the major refit) Aaaand the green metal on the shelves as the romance and style of a filing cabinet. 

The rest of the room is so gorgeous, and it's such a sparkling venue in the evening, especially on gala nights, that the back bar just looks out of place.

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2019 at 10:46 PM, JT1101 said:

I'm sure the model will stay as it is iconic to the ship.

I'll be on Dec 8th and can ask about what the plan is - as I posted upthread if they do it at Blohm and Voss I expect they will also be updating the ships electronics and antennae too. 

It could move to a display case elsewhere on the ship