CHECK YOUR STATEMENT WHILE ONBOARD

mamaofami

Just a word of advice. The online statement is available every day on the TV (at least it was on Zuiderdam) and I noticed we were charged for 2 tours on a day I never left the ship. The charge was quickly adjusted, but the one remaining charge was for $59 and some change. On the paper my husband signed up for the excursion it said $49 and some change. When I asked the excursion people they said well it should have said $59. I explained that the paper signed said $49 and they finally changed the charge. It pays to check regularly because it's much easier to adjust mistakes while you are still on board.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I SO agree with this.

If we have a sea day, I check daily.  If we have some busy port days, I tend to check every other day.

It’s a lot easier to get something corrected early than it is later.

• Like 2

This goes for any cruise line.  Unintentional errors can occur.  Just as it can in hotels.  On our current trip the hotel charged us $50 for valet parking....we did not have a car.  Not a big issue to get errors like this reversed if you get on them in a timely fashion.

We check our account ever day or two..on a cruise or on land.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

The online statement is available every day on the TV (at least it was on Zuiderdam) 

Do you know if this is also available on board Zaandam TV?  It is so easy to quickly check then without having to ask for paper printouts every couple days.

3 minutes ago, jwh said:

Do you know if this is also available on board Zaandam TV?  It is so easy to quickly check then without having to ask for paper printouts every couple days.

It should be available on Zaandam TV. It is also available on your computer, smart phone, or tablet as part of the Navigator App.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't tell you how many times I've had erroneous charges like mini bar, tours, etc, on my account.  I got spoiled when RCI introduced account access on stateroom TVs back in the 90s. I'm glad the Carnival brands are finally incorporating this technology to make checking our accounts easier.   

• Like 2

Your cabin account balance is only available on HAL ships that have the interactive TV's.   The R & S class ships have not been re-wired with ethernet cable to each cabin for interactive TV.   But you can always see your current balance on the Cabin Account section of the Navigator on your laptop or the Navigator App on your phone/tablet.

I had an issue on my last cruise, my final stateroom balance had a credit going back to my card, but the credit $16.68 less than that.  I had to email with customer service and they clarified that $16.68 charge was for the mini bar (1 water and 1 Wine split) which they offered to credit me for if I didn't consume those items (which I had not).

I wonder how many people they try to add on a few extra charges against, banking that most people won't bother to dispute a couple dollars.  Had they only hit me for a bottle of water I probably wouldn't have done anything to follow up.

22 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

Your cabin account balance is only available on HAL ships that have the interactive TV's.   The R & S class ships have not been re-wired with ethernet cable to each cabin for interactive TV.   But you can always see your current balance on the Cabin Account section of the Navigator on your laptop or the Navigator App on your phone/tablet.

Do the ships still have kiosks where you can see/print your account? I know I've used them in the past, but it's been a few years and I don't remember which ship it was. Maybe Amsterdam?

Just now, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Do the ships still have kiosks where you can see/print your account? I know I've used them in the past, but it's been a few years and I don't remember which ship it was. Maybe Amsterdam?

Yes, they are usually close by the front desk.  You just swipe your cabin key card and it will print out in the bin below.  Make sure you have the cabin key card for the passenger who is on record as responsible for paying the cabin account.   Usually a couple will have both cabin accounts tied to one credit card or cash deposit.  So you must use the key card for the person who is responsible for paying the balance when you check your totals at the kiosks.   In the case of 2 friends travelling together, each person will have their own credit card (or cash deposit) tied to their key card.   So to get a total cabin balance, you would have to swipe both cards and you will get 2 printouts.

1 hour ago, TAD2005 said:

Yes, they are usually close by the front desk.  You just swipe your cabin key card and it will print out in the bin below.  Make sure you have the cabin key card for the passenger who is on record as responsible for paying the cabin account.   Usually a couple will have both cabin accounts tied to one credit card or cash deposit.  So you must use the key card for the person who is responsible for paying the balance when you check your totals at the kiosks.   In the case of 2 friends travelling together, each person will have their own credit card (or cash deposit) tied to their key card.   So to get a total cabin balance, you would have to swipe both cards and you will get 2 printouts.

I learned that the hard way. It was all under my husband's name and when I used my key, there was nothing! I expected my charges to be on my account and his on his account, and then they'd be added at the end. I think QE2 did this for a while. I recall a cruise where we joked that his charges were bar, bar, bar and mine were shop, shop, shop.  

• Like 1

It's common sense to check statement frequently.  We check every day.  Better to ask for an adjustment as quickly as an erroneous charge is posted than to wait.  For those of us who aren't tech savvy, all the ships also have the self-service machines that print a full statement (when there's paper in the machine).  Even if we don't want to print a statement, we can at least view it, checking for mistakes.  Unless I find an incorrect charge, I don't print the statement.

Does HAL automatically deliver a final statement to your cabin the night before (or morning of) disembarkation? Celebrity used to do this -- but recently we've had to call the Guest Relations desk to request one. I just like to get off the ship with a copy of my final bill in hand. 😎

12 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

On the Amsterdam there was one last month, next to shore excursions and near the front desk.  We used it alot, since we had alot of OBC and charges.

6 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

Does HAL automatically deliver a final statement to your cabin the night before (or morning of) disembarkation? Celebrity used to do this -- but recently we've had to call the Guest Relations desk to request one. I just like to get off the ship with a copy of my final bill in hand. 😎

Yes - we get it every cruise around 5-6 am departure day.

• Thanks 1

We love to use the HAL navigation app... it is very useful to check daily activities, menus, and statement.  I regularly find mistakes on statements. On our last cruise, we twice had bar charges added, that were not ours.  I quickly went to guest services and those errors were corrected... mistakes happen but when they are quickly identified, they are also quickly dealt with.

PS: you do not need an internet plan to access the app and you also get the New York Times complimentary on the app.

Edited by FrankieSue
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

We did not receive one before debarkation on the Amsterdam this past August.  I don't know if this is a "one off" or a new protocol for HAL.

Also different was that I couldn't see my charges from my own key card, as they were all compiled on DH's folio, since his credit card was registered to pay for both of us.  In the past, I've always monitored by own charges and DH monitored his own.  It's a bit harder to sort it all out on one folio, but that's just the way it is.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

We did not receive one before debarkation on the Amsterdam this past August.  I don't know if this is a "one off" or a new protocol for HAL.

We received ours on the Amsterdam two weeks ago.

• Like 1