Noordam - A Passage to New Zealand

richwmn

Great reports.

On the ships we have been, the Atrium Bar was rarely open -- and hardly anyone was ever there.

We love the Ocean Bar on all the ships.  But on our last Westerdam cruise there was never any type of music there in the 21 days we were on the ship.  We have done that cruise several other times over the years and there was always a band of some sort and people were dancing.  As a result there was hardly anyone having any drinks there.

Do like the idea that there is a Happy Hour between the BB Queen shows.  But we would never make use of it as we can not stand that loud music.

• Like 1

Have to say that in July in Alaska, the Atrium Bar was a ghost town the entire cruise, except that people would meet there for excursions during port call days.  Interestingly, it's not even noted on the current deck plan.

Like the idea of happy hour drink prices in BB Kings between sets.  I don't remember this at all in July.  It is sad that they are robbing the Ocean Bar of any music now; I seem to remember a pianist during happy hour there.

Thanks for the continuing updates, Rich!

Edited by 0bnxshs
  • Like 1

Entertainment

Last night the entertainer on the World Stage was Annie Francis. Ms Francis is an Australian singer with a very good voice. She did a show on hits from the '70's and moved easily between Three Dog Night, Karen Carpenter, John Denver, Barbra Streisand, Helen Reddy and a couple more. Her song selection was good and her banter between songs appropriate. The band backed her nicely and overall it was a very good show.

• Like 1

Pago Pago has greeted us with heavy tropical rains. Bad enough that Noordam was handing out umbrellas at the gangplank. I went ashore and found an area filled with tents selling various wares, and trying hard to keep the rain from collecting on the top of the tent. Typical goods being sold, T-Shirts, Jewelry, Local Dresses, etc.

Forecast is for rain most of the day.

Island tours were being offered for $20 / person for 2 - 3 hours. I started to take one but waiting for other passengers looked like it was going to take a while, I was in the last bus in line. The buses also looked a bit off. We'll have to see what happens a bit later.

• Like 1

Oh noooooooo!!!!!!!!  I hope the rain lets up and you are able to see Pago Pago.   Is this your first visit to any of the ports on this cruise?  Pago Pago just sounds so exotic.  Thanks for letting us cruise with you.  Cherie 

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Entertainment

Last night the entertainer on the World Stage was Annie Francis. Ms Francis is an Australian singer with a very good voice. She did a show on hits from the '70's and moved easily between Three Dog Night, Karen Carpenter, John Denver, Barbra Streisand, Helen Reddy and a couple more. Her song selection was good and her banter between songs appropriate. The band backed her nicely and overall it was a very good show.

She's excellent. You were fortunate to have her as an entertainer on the ship. I saw her only the once, on a cruise through the South Pacific. It's too bad she doesn't seem to entertain on ships in other areas of the world. 

• Like 1

Just now, cccole said:

Oh noooooooo!!!!!!!!  I hope the rain lets up and you are able to see Pago Pago.   Is this your first visit to any of the ports on this cruise?  Pago Pago just sounds so exotic.  Thanks for letting us cruise with you.  Cherie 

Yes, first time Southern Hemisphere. Looks like it is clearing up now, may be time to go back out.

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

Entertainment

Have enjoyed Annie in the past; glad you did also! Great entertainer

Hi Rich,

Have you booked an excursion in Dunedin, (Port Chalmers),? 

Ovation  of the Seas is also in port that day. 

We would be happy to meet at some stage of the day, if you have time. (November 17th)

Edited by erewhon

Just now, erewhon said:

Hi Rich,

Have you booked an excursion in Dunedin, (Port Chalmers),? 

Ovation  of the Seas is also in port that day. 

We would be happy to meet at some stage of the day, if you have time. (November 17th)

I don't have anything planned and would love to meet you. The ship is in from 9am to 6pm so maybe a NZ Lunch?

I can be emailed using my screen name here at gmail . com

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

I don't have anything planned and would love to meet you. The ship is in from 9am to 6pm so maybe a NZ Lunch?

I can be emailed using my screen name here at gmail . com

Thanks

Lunch sounds good, we will e-mail you.

• Like 1

My, my, my where has the time gone. It's Wednesday already. Wait, what happened to Tuesday? It fell into the abyss known as the international date line.

Here are the activities for Wednesday, Oct 30th, 2019

20191029_065542.jpg

20191029_065553.jpg

Sorry, what is cut off lower left is "Ultimate Guide to Buying Emeralds" Ocean Bar, 3

Edited by richwmn

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

My, my, my where has the time gone. It's Wednesday already. Wait, what happened to Tuesday? It fell into the abyss known as the international date line.

LOL on losing a day.  I’ve been down that road as well as the one where the day repeats 😉 

Thanks for the When and Where’s.  I just realized that the sip and savour has gone up - now $7 - however, your offering for today sounds interesting 🙂 

Breaking News -- we have had another medical emergency. We are now headed toward Savu, Fiji instead of Savusavu. We arrive there tomorrow morning at 8am and will leave at 8pm

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming

Here are the menus for this evening

menu-dinner1.png

menu-dinner2.png

menu-dinnerLido.png

Thanks for taking time to post while at sea.  So glad you are enjoying your cruise, a spectacular itinerary.  I am happy you've invited us to join you vicariously.  

Your photos of the poor Noordam almost brought tears.  What is HAL thinking?  The former Northern Lights area on her sister ships has been turned into a lovely lounge that resembles an English manor.  It's a beautiful spot to sit and converse or to read.  Did they simply not have enough time to finish this area?  

Then, there's the library.  Oh my goodness!  Who did HAL hire to configure the new area?  A novice in interior design could have done a better job.  Again, they ruined a beautiful space.  The only areas that they failed to destroy are the Atrium staircase (which they removed from Noordam's sisters) and the Crow's Nest.  We have such fond memories of this ship and truly liked her lay-out.  She was one of our favorites.  Not anymore.

BTW, the photos of the cabins showed the same drapes and upholstery as we had on our cruise in 2011.  When will HAL replace this tired pattern for a more up-to-date look?  I should take heart that the older TVs have been replaced.  It appears that Noordam probably needs another drydock to finish the job, IMO. 

3 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

BTW, the photos of the cabins showed the same drapes and upholstery as we had on our cruise in 2011.  When will HAL replace this tired pattern for a more up-to-date look?  I should take heart that the older TVs have been replaced.  It appears that Noordam probably needs another drydock to finish the job, IMO. 

The Neptune Suites for sure were completely redone and are lovely.  Suspect SS and PH were done as well.  That said, she’s scheduled for another dry dock in Singapore in 2020, assume to finish the things they didn’t do during this one.