Specialty Dining on Final Night

cnschultzy

My first-ever cruise is approaching (February 9, 2020 on Edge) and I have been following this board for months to glean as much info as possible before we sail. Thank you to everyone who posts reviews, photos, answers to questions, etc... Your insight has been invaluable - I feel more excited and less apprehensive about what's to come. 🙂

Last night I made the following specialty dining reservations:

1. Finecut Steakhouse (Day 2, at sea). I thought dining at Finecut early in our cruise would be a nice treat to start the trip and, if it's as fabulous as everyone says, we might try to get reservations for another night. 

2. Le Petit Chef (Day 7, at sea, final night of the cruise)... I initially thought I would reserve something for Day 6 (our second at-sea day), but I believe that will be the coveted lobster night. Don't want to miss out on that. I also avoided making reservations for any of our port days (days 3-5) because I thought it might be nice to have some flexibility in case we're tired or we've already eaten off the ship. That leaves Day 1 or Day 7 for LPC. 

I'm wondering... Are there any drawbacks to specialty dining on the final night? Would I miss out on anything special in the MDR?

Thoughts, suggestions and recommendations are very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

We have  never done a speciality on the last night for a variety of reasons:

1. we want to thank out waiters & sommelier and give them some extra $

2. we are finishing up packing and are dressing pretty casual as all our “good clothes” are packed.

3. in general things are winding down on that cruise and the staff is focused on getting things cleaned and ready to load and restock for the next cruise.

IMHO the first night offers a good discount and everyone is upbeat as a new cruise starts.

• Like 1

We usually eat in specialty restauants 3-4 times on a 7 day cruise and more on longer ones. I try to book the restaurants with the heavier menus in the beginning and save the lighter food for the end because we eat much more on a cruise than normally at home and by the end we just can’t handle a heavy dinner.  We also usually eat in a specialty restaurant the last night as it is a way to relax and talk about our overall experiences on the cruise and gives us something to look forward to and cheer us up on the last night. I think LPC would be a great way to end a wonderful cruise. We book a later dining time so we are finished packing and can enjoy the last night. Also since we always book select dining and are not eating in the mdr very much and at different tables when we do, we really don’t develop a relationship with the wait staff. We just always leave our DSC in place and on the times we have received service above and beyond, we give the waiters something extra right then and there. 

Mary Ann

• Like 1

Have to agree with Mary Ann.  On our upcoming Edge cruise, we got the four day specialty package before the price increase and we have reservations lined up for days 1, 3, 5 & 7.  Can't  think of a better way to end a cruise and we'll  be in one of the MDR's on nights 2 & 6, which are  usually the slightly  better nights since they used to be the formal nights.

• Like 2

Thank you for the feedback, everyone. You all raise very valid points. I will keep my Day 7 reservation but might consider a later reservation so we're packed before dinner with nothing to worry about except for the lovely meal. 

@jelayne I will have to keep an eye out for discounts on the first night! In that case, Day 1 might be a good night for Finecut. That would free us up for Evening Chic in the MDR. Everything is currently full price online within the cruise planner but I'll try to remember to check on this when we board. 

(Mary Ann - I was thinking the same thing about booking the restaurants with more indulgent menus earlier in the cruise!)

• Like 1

I love doing specialty dining on the first night. They give discounts for a reason.... people don't think about doing this so early in the cruise... so the restaurants are quiet. While I prefer Murano's over Tuscan Grill... there is nothing like sailing out of Ft Lauderdale and along the coast with the sun setting behind you sitting in a quiet restaurant sitting by the large windows looking back at the city...   We have done this in the past on Royal Caribbean's Brilliance of the Seas ... dining in Portofino's sailing out of Tampa Bay and on other cruises... a great way to start a cruise... and end a hectic travel day.

3 minutes ago, kearney said:

I love doing specialty dining on the first night. They give discounts for a reason.... people don't think about doing this so early in the cruise... so the restaurants are quiet. While I prefer Murano's over Tuscan Grill... there is nothing like sailing out of Ft Lauderdale and along the coast with the sun setting behind you sitting in a quiet restaurant sitting by the large windows looking back at the city...   We have done this in the past on Royal Caribbean's Brilliance of the Seas ... dining in Portofino's sailing out of Tampa Bay and on other cruises... a great way to start a cruise... and end a hectic travel day.

She is sailing on Edge with no Tuscan Grill so that would be Eden with the view out the back.

• Like 1

Missed the Edge note on the original post. We did not do our usual first night specialty dining on Edge... and looking back not sure where I would go to get that same experience we love on S class. Eden is not exactly a quiet spot although it would have the view.

• Like 1

If doing prepaid gratuities but are concerned about extra tips for your regular wait staff if you feel they are deserving then just give it to them the night prior and explain you are doing dinner elsewhere on the final night.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

The first night @ a discount is often offered in the Cruise Planner so you can book ahead and select your time.  

Great - I'll keep checking. Right now there is plenty of availability for Finecut on the first night (other nights are very limited) so we'll should be in luck if that discount is offered soon.

1 hour ago, kearney said:

there is nothing like sailing out of Ft Lauderdale and along the coast with the sun setting behind you sitting in a quiet restaurant sitting by the large windows looking back at the city...   

Sounds magical!

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

If doing prepaid gratuities but are concerned about extra tips for your regular wait staff if you feel they are deserving then just give it to them the night prior and explain you are doing dinner elsewhere on the final night.  

I have prepaid gratuities but plan to tip anyone who goes above and beyond... Fantastic idea to do so on the second-to-last night. We plan to try all four dining room so we may even tip throughout the trip. We'll see what works best for us when we get there. 

If you like seafood, Raw on 5 has good views on Edge. Also the MC is is parked there at certain times. If you want a lighter meal you may be able to dine reasonably without a dining credit. Or go at sailaway/sunset for an appetizer and a drink and eat later in the mdr. 

Mary Ann

• Like 1

We were on Edge early September. We had OBC to use up so tried for a specialty restaurant booking on the last night but most were already booked up. We noticed waiters hovering at the exit of Oceanview at breakfast time, they were trying to sell off any remaining open slots at a discount and we got LPC for $40pp for a late sitting. We had finished packing by 7pm so this was a great way to finish the cruise. Amusing and very good food only spoiled for me and a few others by a sudden onset of bad weather causing a very rough ride - rather unfortunate, but that's the med in September for you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenmary said:

We were on Edge early September. We had OBC to use up so tried for a specialty restaurant booking on the last night but most were already booked up. We noticed waiters hovering at the exit of Oceanview at breakfast time, they were trying to sell off any remaining open slots at a discount and we got LPC for $40pp for a late sitting. We had finished packing by 7pm so this was a great way to finish the cruise. Amusing and very good food only spoiled for me and a few others by a sudden onset of bad weather causing a very rough ride - rather unfortunate, but that's the med in September for you!

Oh dear! At least it was memorable! 

4 hours ago, UFMOM said:

If you like seafood, Raw on 5 has good views on Edge. Also the MC is is parked there at certain times. If you want a lighter meal you may be able to dine reasonably without a dining credit. Or go at sailaway/sunset for an appetizer and a drink and eat later in the mdr. 

Mary Ann

Sunset snacks before heading to the MDR... I love this idea! I'm spoiled with great sushi in the PNW and I had initially given Raw on 5 a pass. I didn't realize it had such nice views - and the food does look delicious! 

7 minutes ago, aml3679 said:

We always eat in a specialty restaurant on our last night.  It gives us time to reflect on the week and also to ponder our upcoming year.  We are booked at Le Petit Chef our last night.

I just returned from 11 nights on the Equinox. Lobster night was nothing special. The tails were pretty small.... two mouthfulls and they're gone and I believe they were Caribbean lobster and not very tasty. I prefer East coast or Maine lobster but too pricey.

• Like 1

We have eaten for quite a few cruises in specialty restaurants every night.  Used to be that the final night was a bit of a let down as turnover was looming and seemed more important.

Recently however, final night dining in the specialty has improved.  Still a bit subdued as the cruise comes to an end, but a big step up from the MDR.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 12:35 AM, cnschultzy said:

I will have to keep an eye out for discounts on the first night! In that case, Day 1 might be a good night for Finecut. That would free us up for Evening Chic in the MDR. Everything is currently full price online within the cruise planner but I'll try to remember to check on this when we board. 

(Mary Ann - I was thinking the same thing about booking the restaurants with more indulgent menus earlier in the cruise!)

The 30% discount for Night 1 is offered onboard.  If you go to the buffet area for lunch after you get on board, there's always someone outside that space ready to offer you a reservation.  Every Celebrity cruise we've sailed has 30% off specialty dining the first night. They never advertise it in advance, it's offered when you get on board.

Be sure to read reviews on Le Petit Chef and see if you really want to keep that reservation.  If you have kids, the place seems fine. If you're adults only, note that the menu is very limited because the food has to match the animations. Reviews have not been all that kind in regards to the food and overall meal.  Met multiple folks onboard the Equinox a few weeks ago who said either it was a waste of money or 'one and done' after experiencing it.  LPC is something we did not book nor would ever book simply because the menu is so limiting.  

• Like 2

We have Fine Cut Steakhouse booked for the last night of our Edge cruise in January.  First because it's our anniversary, but also because we wanted to have a really special dinner for our last night on the ship.  We also booked LPC and Friends for earlier in the cruise and although we were a little concerned at the limited menu, they have an alternative menu that you can mix and match with, so although the animations won't perfectly fit what we order, we're looking forward to the "dinner and a show" anyway.

Thank you for the tip about the 30% off specialty dining the first night.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, creativegenius said:

The 30% discount for Night 1 is offered onboard.  If you go to the buffet area for lunch after you get on board, there's always someone outside that space ready to offer you a reservation.  Every Celebrity cruise we've sailed has 30% off specialty dining the first night. They never advertise it in advance, it's offered when you get on board.

Just an FYI -- The 30% off for first night specialty dining has been in my cruise planner for months and I am still a year away from my cruise; so, one can book this in advance.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Just an FYI -- The 30% off for first night specialty dining has been in my cruise planner for months and I am still a year away from my cruise; so, one can book this in advance.

Where do you see it in your cruise planner?