I'm Dumbfounded at Celebrity's Math

Luvcrusn

I just priced out  a 10 day cruise on Reflection in Aqua Class A2. Price cruise only pp $2999.00 without taxes.

Best Value price for same cabin listed which includes $200 OBC-N is $3534pp without taxes.

Now my math tells me that paying $1070 more for the cabin in order to receive $200 OBC-N is NOT a Best Value even factoring in an extra $100 pp to make the deposit refundable. Does ANYONE think this is a good value? I know it's late and my brain is tired, but REALLY?  Thoughts?

5 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I just priced out  a 10 day cruise on Reflection in Aqua Class A2. Price cruise only pp $2999.00 without taxes.

Best Value price for same cabin listed which includes $200 OBC-N is $3534pp without taxes.

Now my math tells me that paying $1070 more for the cabin in order to receive $200 OBC-N is NOT a Best Value even factoring in an extra $100 pp to make the deposit refundable. Does ANYONE think this is a good value? I know it's late and my brain is tired, but REALLY?  Thoughts?

You're assuming that it meant Best Value for you.  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

You're assuming that it meant Best Value for you.  😉

Celebrity has turned booking a cruise into a quadratic equation where finding the value of takes on an entirely new meaning.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 10
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Odd math for sure!

Is the OBC  the only perk for the higher fare?

Can you get the base price with no perks as a Refundable Dep? 

Nope. The two choices were as listed. If you choose the Best Value, the next screen offers 2 "free" perks for another $200, and if you choose CBP you add another

$140 pp on top. 

7 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I think they are counting on the fact that probably 95% of us Americans failed or avoided math as much as possible in school :classic_laugh:.  Good news it looks like you are in the other 5% !

• Like 2

Where did you see that the fare difference between the non-refundable and refundable deposit was $100.?   We have observed that the fare difference is far more than $100.  There is a $100 pp administrative fee is you cancel a booking with a NRD any deposit.   The remaining deposit that, which is normally $700 is returned in a FCC good for 12 months 
We recently booked a cruise with a NRD the price difference was $500pp less and the perks were identical.  We intend to take the cruise and to our way if thinking when we board the ship we will have paid $1000. less than a person who booked the same cabin on the same day.  Should we have to cancel before final payment we are out $200, after final payment our travel insurance kicks in. 

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

Where did you see that the fare difference between the non-refundable and refundable deposit was $100.?   We have observed that the fare difference is far more than $100.  There is a $100 pp administrative fee is you cancel a booking with a NRD any deposit.   The remaining deposit that, which is normally $700 is returned in a FCC good for 12 months 
We recently booked a cruise with a NRD the price difference was $500pp less and the perks were identical.  We intend to take the cruise and to our way if thinking when we board the ship we will have paid $1000. less than a person who booked the same cabin on the same day.  Should we have to cancel before final payment we are out $200, after final payment our travel insurance kicks in. 

I was basing that on the last booking I made through my TA (made that booking in Feb of this year) where a booking made with X non-refundable deposit cost $100 less pp than one made with a refundable deposit.

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

I was going to say exactly the same: it all depends on the particular sailing as the difference between NRD and RD can be much more than $100pp.

25 minutes ago, cruise47 said:

That $3500 must includes all taxes and port fees in the final cost IMO. 

Both the Cruise Only and Best Value prices quoted above in post #1 do not include port fees or taxes

We booked a non-refundable deposit on an upcoming cruise with a TA. because at the time we booked it cost $100 less pp and we got other perks from the TA for booking non-refundable as well. Since we planned on definitely taking the cruise we made sure to purchase trip insurance at the time of booking. 

All of that however is irrelevant to my original question. What kind of crazy math do you need to use to find that the Best Value is to pay $1070 more to get $200 OBC-N? I must have skipped school the day they taught that!

Edited by Luvcrusn

6 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Both the Cruise Only and Best Value prices quoted above in post #1 do not include port fees or taxes

We booked a non-refundable deposit on an upcoming cruise with a TA. because at the time we booked it cost $100 less pp and we got other perks from the TA for booking non-refundable as well. Since we planned on definitely taking the cruise we made sure to purchase trip insurance at the time of booking. 

All of that however is irrelevant to my original question. What kind of crazy math do you need to use to find that the Best Value is to pay $1070 more to get $200 OBC-N? I must have skipped school the day they taught that!

You keep talking about the "free" $200 OBC, but it's really about the fact that they have dramatically bumped up the cost of Non-Refundable vs. Refundable.

39 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

You keep talking about the "free" $200 OBC, but it's really about the fact that they have dramatically bumped up the cost of Non-Refundable vs. Refundable.

@NantahalaCruiser do you thinkk it's a best value to book the same cruise, cabin, for $1070 more with a refundable deposit? Seems crazy to me to Pay an extra $1070 to protect $900.

3 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

@NantahalaCruiser do you thinkk it's a best value to book the same cruise, cabin, for $1070 more with a refundable deposit? Seems crazy to me to Pay an extra $1070 to protect $900.

Did not say it makes much sense - just that it's not about the OBC.  Speaking of OBC, I guess it's really a net of $870 to protect $900 🤔

On 10/20/2019 at 7:04 AM, Iamcruzin said:

Celebrity has turned booking a cruise into a quadratic equation where finding the value of takes on an entirely new meaning.

I spent hours and hours and had a spreadsheet going and everything. Finally, I decided to just go with what I want and the 4 perks package. I'm pretty sure I'm losing money, but it's worth my sanity to not have to try and figure it out anymore. I don't normally drink, but I am definitely going to be drinking on this cruise to try and recoup some of my money! If my husband didn't drink--and want to drink the good stuff, the choice would have been a lot easier.

On 10/20/2019 at 1:04 PM, Iamcruzin said:

This statement should have replaced the LLP photo/caption that was just removed from the main page 🤣.

And have a great rest of your day!

Edited by villauk
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, dleighb said:

I spent hours and hours and had a spreadsheet going and everything. Finally, I decided to just go with what I want and the 4 perks package. I'm pretty sure I'm losing money, but it's worth my sanity to not have to try and figure it out anymore. I don't normally drink, but I am definitely going to be drinking on this cruise to try and recoup some of my money! If my husband didn't drink--and want to drink the good stuff, the choice would have been a lot easier.

Sounds like you need a drink now.

17 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

DO NOT BOOK THROUGH CELEBRITY!!!!!!!

@Loracpin2 I agree. My TA always offers lower fares, more perks and more OBC or % back. Right now they are reimbursing the new $14pp fee on beverage package perk in the form of OBC if you choose that as a  perk. Why book X?