Vista Suite

Ga Peach

We've been in them twice on Marina.  They are gorgeous suites with plenty of room.  A common complaint is that when underway the veranda isn't usable ... we didn't discover that to be true but on the other hand we were rarely out there when on the move.  They do tie down the furniture when it's windy or they are moving.  You also have to be careful that your interior lights don't disrupt the bridge.

When we were in 9001 we got a call one night asking us to turn off the outside lights.  Actually, they weren't on ... but when the housekeeping staff did the evening check they had left the curtains not quite closed, which hampered visibility from the bridge.

Edited by Mura
  • Thanks 1

Have been in a Vista on Riviera and an Oceania Suite on Marina.  The Vista is much larger; but we found that we liked the Oceania Suite in the aft of the ship much better.  The wraparound balcony can be used at any time - was great for reading and taking photos, in port and at sea.  We weren't able to use the balcony much in the Vista Suite.  The closed curtain thing  at night can be annoying.  For our $$$, Oceania Suite is more bang for the buck.  We've booked one for January.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

Didn't like that I couldn't use it underway and the high wall isn't good for sunning.  Prefer the OS on the stern.

Our choice is OS on 12.  Wonderful.  Much more than we need.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sny said:

Have been in a Vista on Riviera and an Oceania Suite on Marina.  The Vista is much larger; but we found that we liked the Oceania Suite in the aft of the ship much better.  The wraparound balcony can be used at any time - was great for reading and taking photos, in port and at sea.  We weren't able to use the balcony much in the Vista Suite.  The closed curtain thing  at night can be annoying.  For our $$$, Oceania Suite is more bang for the buck.  We've booked one for January.

I'm with you on this one.  The reservations I have aren't extreme -- I'd rather have the TV in the living room than in the media room, as in the OC, especially since we only use the media room to store things.  But I like the exercise room (assuming it's still there) in the VS.  But even though the aft OCs are a little smaller than the Deck 12 OCs, the veranda is amazing.  So we do opt for the aft OC when we have the chance. And we don't need the second bath to be a full bath; the powder room is just fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Do you  mean OC  suite?

There is no Owner's suite on deck 12

Sorry.  My mistake.I do mean the OC suite.   Sometimes happens when I go too fast.  Maybe  from growing up in Brooklyn. 

Going to offer a slightly different experience...

I loved the aft OC suites on 11.  When both aft OC's were booked solid on a cruise to FP, I booked a VS instead.  I had heard most of the same feedback that that is mentioned above. 

I was expecting the balcony to be pretty much useless, which was a complete bummer for a cruise to a place like FP.  The balcony on the aft OC suites was the reason it was my favorite accommodation on Marina or Riviera. 

Well, the VS (12001) was nothing like what I had anticipated.  It is true that you can't use the balcony at night when the ship is moving.  But you can use it during the day while underway.  We only had a single 4-hour window during the entire 12 day itinerary when we could not use the balcony during the day.  This was due to high winds.  We spent more time outside than inside the suite.  It is a much deeper balcony as well in comparison to the OC.  I found it much more functional in general - especially when we hosted friends!  

Additionally, the TV is in a separate room in the OC suite - in comparison to having the TV in the living area of the VS.  I am not a huge TV person while on vacation, but the two people that I most often travel with definitely appreciate having the TV in the convenient location. 

Last advantage to a VS - the absolutely, stunning, amazing views coming into port.   Just one example from Bora Bora. 

IMG_20180310_065416_bb.jpg.5bd19cc856bb8598d8761cec9f48adac.jpg

I had booked an aft OC suite for a subsequent cruise.  I still love it.  However, I booked a VS for my next voyage in February.   I think that based on my experience, I now have a new favorite location on the O class ships! 

Edited by delee78
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

Didn't like that I couldn't use it underway and the high wall isn't good for sunning.  Prefer the OS on the stern.

I thought you always booked the Owner's Suite.

We have been in:  Oceania Suite - liked it a lot but disliked the narrow balcony and the small separate media room.

Owners Suite (for a Trans Atlantic... so quite a long cruise) Loved the sitting room, bedroom, main bathroom which had a door out to the balcony and so a great view!  Disliked - the narrow balcony and the fact that it is in two bits, broken up by the (unnecessary in our view) long window from the entrance/bar area.

Vista Suite (Deck 9) - loved the suite, and the balcony when we could/were allowed to use it.  It was far better than the Owners Suite balcony but the light restrictions (very necessary - because of the Bridge above) and the wind (when under way) limited our use of it.  Did not like the space allocated to the "gym" area which has turned into a place for the steward to store the cushions from the terrace...  We would not have used the gym anyway and would have preferred to have had the space incorporated into the suite.

So - for a decent balcony - Vista suite.   Wonderful interior space - Owners suite.   Oceania Suite - nice but if you can afford better - don't take it.  (If this is the "top of your reach" -- I would go for it any time!!)

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

We are currently in a PH and on wait list for Oceania Suite.   A vista just became available.   I like the extra room, as wife tends to sleep in a bit, but am very nervous about the balcony restrictions.   We love watching sun set, eating breakfast, playing games, reading and just getting away from crowds during sea days.   Will we be able to do those things.   While having it at night would be nice, that is not really a major issue.   FYI this is Riveria and 10 day caribbean with 3 sea days.

59 minutes ago, pmcue said:

We are currently in a PH and on wait list for Oceania Suite.   A vista just became available.   I like the extra room, as wife tends to sleep in a bit, but am very nervous about the balcony restrictions.   We love watching sun set, eating breakfast, playing games, reading and just getting away from crowds during sea days.   Will we be able to do those things.   While having it at night would be nice, that is not really a major issue.   FYI this is Riveria and 10 day caribbean with 3 sea days.

There is no restriction to using the veranda per se, it is the lighting on the veranda which must be controlled.

When lights are on inside the Suite, forward facing curtains must be closed at Sunset, and Veranda lighting is not permitted whilst the ship is navigating at night.

Wind at the front of the ship can also be an issue.  If the ship is sailing into a wind, a forward facing veranda might not be a place where you WANT to be.  Other times it is absolute heaven-

170209.jpg

• Thanks 1

I was just in a Vista on Marina and I disliked it.  I booked it only because the OCs were not available.

Never again.  The location is awful.  A big shlep to the dining venues and Baristas.  The staff has to come in to keep the drapes closed in the evening and the verandah is largely unusable because of wind.

I love the Oceania Suites.  I prefer Deck 12 mid ship because the larger verandah is not my number 1 priority.  I think they are worth more than the Vistas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bitob said:

I was just in a Vista on Marina and I disliked it.  I booked it only because the OCs were not available.

Never again.  The location is awful.  A big shlep to the dining venues and Baristas.  The staff has to come in to keep the drapes closed in the evening and the verandah is largely unusable because of wind.

I love the Oceania Suites.  I prefer Deck 12 mid ship because the larger verandah is not my number 1 priority.  I think they are worth more than the Vistas.

Very happy to hear that you feel that way-

Keeps those Suites cheaper and more available when we want them  

120233.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StanandJim said:

Keeps those Suites cheaper and more available when we want them  

This morning I got an email from O offering us an upgrade (from veranda concierge) for "only" $3000 per person!

• Haha 2

I suspect that was a typo!  I doubt anyone would accept it at that price.

When we got our first ever upgrade in 2004 from a PH to an OS (on Regatta) the cost was $500pp.  You didn't indicate how far "up" you would have gone, but I'd suspect that they really mean $300pp.

Even at that, you might not be tempted!  But you certainly would not be tempted at $3K pp.

Mura

1 hour ago, Mura said:

When we got our first ever upgrade in 2004 from a PH to an OS (on Regatta) the cost was $500pp.  You didn't indicate how far "up" you would have gone, but I'd suspect that they really mean $300pp.

Even at that, you might not be tempted!  But you certainly would not be tempted at $3K pp.

Mura

I thought I had replied to this.  Sorry. Yes, we/I 🙂 would do $300 and not a dime more.  It would be super fun but that's really all. Looking forward to hearing back fro them. xoc

4 hours ago, Mura said:

Mura

Unlikely it was a typo. Recently received an offer of an upgrade from a PH3 to Vista on an 18 day itinerary and it was $3000/pp.   Five days later it was $2000/pp.  Declined both. 

Edited by RJ2002

Another disadvantage of the Vista is that they tie down the furniture at night with straps.

If you get up early (as we do) and want to sit on the balcony (assuming winds are not high) you cannot do so

The staff has to be called to untie everything.

I just found the experience less than stellar.

• Thanks 1