Sea Dog's Harmony "As If Live" Review Pre & Post with Food, Whiskey & Key,, Oh My!

Sea Dog

Wow, wow and more wow!  We're on Harmony in January 2020 and I'm thinking we don't really need to go since I've seen everything there is to see now thru your review!  Seriously, it was awesome and I hope you don't mind if I took a few screenshots (especially the drink list) and dinner menus so I can remember what to order.  The colada looked awesome.  DH is amudslide fan. We cruise in January to get out of the South Carolina cold (we're originally from Miami, Fl. and drive down).

I was born in Kansas City (Kansas side of the river, sorry).  Lived in Parkville, Mo awhile.  We sailed on the Oasis a few years ago and your review brought back some memories that I need to re explore - like that little meat sandwich.  I can hardly wait for January now. We love St Martin for just sitting and people watching at the beach having a cocktail, I might add.

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 1

Thank you very much Sea Dog for the awesome review. We are doing very 1st Oasis class in March, so this was great to follow.

I am not the bourbon connoisseur that you are unless you count drinking Wild Turkey in my younger, cheaper days, but I enjoyed all your thoughts on the subject.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Wow, wow and more wow!  We're on Harmony in January 2020 and I'm thinking we don't really need to go since I've seen everything there is to see now thru your review!  Seriously, it was awesome and I hope you don't mind if I took a few screenshots (especially the drink list) and dinner menus so I can remember what to order.  The colada looked awesome.  DH is amudslide fan. We cruise in January to get out of the South Carolina cold (we're originally from Miami, Fl. and drive down).

I was born in Kansas City (Kansas side of the river, sorry).  Lived in Parkville, Mo awhile.  We sailed on the Oasis a few years ago and your review brought back some memories that I need to re explore - like that little meat sandwich.  I can hardly wait for January now. We love St Martin for just sitting and people watching at the beach having a cocktail, I might add.

By all means screenshot away. I really wanted this review to be part informative, part entertaining and part cover an area that is not covered as much such as the whiskey angle.

I grew up next door to Parkville in Platte Woods. My father had 10 acres on the bluffs overlooking the Missouri River on Crooked Road were we spent much time at. I love that little town. It's still special to me.

The nice thing  about the Dutch side and being at Great Bay is that you have it all. A good beach, great bars and restaurants and the downtown is right there. so you can beach, eat, drink and shop all in one spot.

I’ve been on over 20 cruises and almost always have breakfast in the MDR, and I’ve never had over easy eggs cooked as beautifully as the ones in your disembarkation breakfast photo.  Finally, a chef who can cook eggs.

Great review, Sea Dog. Thank you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luvcruzing said:

I’ve never had over easy eggs cooked as beautifully as the ones in your disembarkation breakfast photo

I must say it was one of the best breakfast's ever. Eggs perfect, over easy and a steak medium rare. A perfect way to end a great cruise. Thank you for your comments.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

By all means screenshot away. I really wanted this review to be part informative, part entertaining and part cover an area that is not covered as much such as the whiskey angle.

I grew up next door to Parkville in Platte Woods. My father had 10 acres on the bluffs overlooking the Missouri River on Crooked Road were we spent much time at. I love that little town. It's still special to me.

The nice thing  about the Dutch side and being at Great Bay is that you have it all. A good beach, great bars and restaurants and the downtown is right there. so you can beach, eat, drink and shop all in one spot.

We had 52 acres on the bluffs with the Kansas City skyline way off in the distance.  It wasn't until  we moved to Colorado that i found out all rivers do not look like chocolate milk.....like  the 'Kaw'

I also wanted to add....we loved staying at Jetty Park at Port Canaveral in our camping trailer and watching the ships leaving as we stood on the pier.  What a sight!  It'll be a nice turn of events to be on one of the ships leaving in January instead of standing on the pier waving goodbye!

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 1

Greg, thanks so much for all the time and work you put into your review.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and gleaned good information to share with my traveling companions for our upcoming January sailing.

May you and the Mrs have many more wonderful days upon sea.  Cheers!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ren1216 said:

May you and the Mrs have many more wonderful days upon sea.  Cheers!

Thank you so much. It was really fun doing this review. I hoped it was a help to some and entertainment to others. I will continue to do them every time I sail. 

34 minutes ago, chillyw said:

No Whistlepig is a tragedy. I was excited when I saw it on the package menu. I hope they have it on my first royal cruise on Symphony in December - its my favorite!

I've searched and have found several pictures of the 2019 drink menu's and they seem to differ according to the ship. I have no idea why that is. Here is page that is on Royal Caribbean's website of the liquors available. Note Whistle Pig is on list and Kraken Dark Spiced Rum is not. I don't get it. I would love to to talk to Royal's beverage manager and find out what the deal is.

it.deluxe-beverage-packages-cruises-1.thumb.jpg.3e9bc795a05d80d1e87d489d1311a2e9.jpg

Edited by Sea Dog

Just finished in preparation for our Harmony cruise...next MAY!  Still too far away, but at least we're under 200 days!

Loved your narrative and photos.  We just upgraded our 8+ to 11 Pros.  Still learning but we are impressed with the battery life.

Thank you for your list of drinks, too.  This is our first time with the beverage package.  I'm familiar with most on your list, but what is the Master Card?  I love the Beverly Hills Iced Tea on Princess.  No one else seems able to make it right.  It's just the clear liquors (same as LIT) with sparkling wine.  Definitely going to try the Pirate Tea (no Tokyo Tea for me--don't care for Midori)!

Happy Anniversary!

11 hours ago, joand452 said:

Loved your narrative and photos.  We just upgraded our 8+ to 11 Pros.  Still learning but we are impressed with the battery life.

MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE TO LATEST OS 13.2 ON MONDAY NOV 4TH, IT WILL HAVE ENHANCED AI THAT WILL MAKE THE PICTURES ON 11 PRO MORE CRISP, CLEAR  WITH MORE DETAIL

Thank you for your list of drinks, too.  This is our first time with the beverage package.  I'm familiar with most on your list, but what is the Master Card?  I love the Beverly Hills Iced Tea on Princess.  No one else seems able to make it right.  It's just the clear liquors (same as LIT) with sparkling wine.  Definitely going to try the Pirate Tea (no Tokyo Tea for me--don't care for Midori)!

Mastercard is half strawberry daiquiri, half mango daiquiri. Very delicious!

Happy Anniversary!

Thank you so much. Nothing like a cruise to help celebrate!

Edited by Sea Dog

20 minutes ago, 3eaglesfam said:

Awesome review.  Was the bourbon tasting class offered on board or did you choose what bourbons to try?  My hubby would love that.

I did not go to the whiskey seminar and I assume it was mainly going to be Irish and scotch whiskeys. That's why I ended up doing my own tastings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I did not go to the whiskey seminar and I assume it was mainly going to be Irish and scotch whiskeys. That's why I ended up doing my own tastings.

thanks.  I am going to write down the ones you tried.  We lucked out and got the drink package for $18.00 pppd for our April Oasis cruise..  Hubby loves whiskeys but want to branch out to others.

1 hour ago, 3eaglesfam said:

thanks.  I am going to write down the ones you tried.  We lucked out and got the drink package for $18.00 pppd for our April Oasis cruise..  Hubby loves whiskeys but want to branch out to others.

That's awesome. Drink 2 cocktails a day and you will be in the plus column for getting your money's worth.

Thank you for your great review which is going to very helpful for our sailing on the Harmony in May. 

We have purchased the Key also and are gold status. I was not sure in your review where you were went

to drop off your carry on luggage before you went to Chops lunch.

21 minutes ago, nursenan said:

Thank you for your great review which is going to very helpful for our sailing on the Harmony in May. 

We have purchased the Key also and are gold status. I was not sure in your review where you were went

to drop off your carry on luggage before you went to Chops lunch.

We dropped off luggage right outside the entrance to MDR. The lunch was in the MDR deck 4. They moved it from Chops to MDR to handle the extra people, but the menu is from Chops