Chefs Table........Beware!

countess5

Ok, maybe I missed something in the threads on this topic and if I did my apologies, but I thought it important to post.

We just returned from a cruise on the Constellation, which may I say is a fantastic ship, and was traveling with friends. We have sailed many times and always dine in Specialty restaurants not ever using the MDR. One of our favorite nights is Chefs table which we always attend. Our friends, who had never attended chefs table said they would like to join us on this cruise, Great!

So here is where I have an issue. Chefs table has always been a great menu paired with wines for each course, that is what “chefs table” is.

Well, on this chefs table we had a great meal paired with wines but was surprised to find out that the wine is an additional charge over and above what is quoted as chefs table. The price for chefs table was quoted at $139 PP, which I thought was a bargain since we have paid more in the past. 

We sailed in a suite so while in Michaels waiting for our cabin, a person came up to us and asked if they could help with any reservations. I said yes we would like to attend the chefs table. No problem a ticket was written up for $139 PP. No question if we would like wine with that chefs table. My friends signed a ticket for $139 PP.  We  attend chefs table and wine was poured with no question or suggestion that this was an additional charge. 

The event was held in Tuscan, and the last night we and my friends went to Tuscan for a last night dinner. Charge was $45 PP, no problem. We both had the beverage package so we had wine with dinner.

Came off the ship and while having breakfast we looked at our e-mailed bills and we both showed Tuscan October 30th $90 charged on one spouses card and $120 charged to the others. Scratching our heads we wondered why the $120 charge.

Back in the states and we both call about the $120 charge, returned call......you had a wine pairing. What?  we did not have a wine pairing with the last nights dinner, we had the beverage package. Response, no you had a pairing with chefs table earlier in the week. Response, I paid for chefs table $139 PP, response, there is a charge for the wine. Why didn’t that extra charge show up the night we attended chefs table. So chefs table is $199 PP, not an issue but tell me that up front.  Nowhere was that ever discussed, shared or pointed out. Response was that Celebrity just recently made a change on how they charge. I get it, I have been to chefs tables where people don’t drink, they like the food. Just show it that way when you sell it, with wine $199 PP no wine $139 PP.

It was not about the price, it was how it was “not shared” in selling it. Yes, on the Planner it says in small print at the bottom that wine pairing may be added once on board, no price shared. People, like my friends, who attended their first chefs table just didn’t need the surprise. 

We will attend many more Chefs Tables but will be aware of how it is charged! 

Cheers! 

Outcome of the debacle, Celebrity credited the $120 back to both us! Thank you Celebrity. Again not the price being a concern it’s how it is sold. The person I spoke with said they are working with the IT people show it differently on the planner. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Interesting you posted this. I was recently looking at changes in X and specialty dining and noticed Chefs table had a charge for wine and some type of statement about arranging on board and wondered if that was the bev package? Or if it didn’t count. 

If bev packages don’t count here, they really should just charge the higher amount to avoid this type of pain.

38 minutes ago, countess5 said:

Ok, maybe I missed something in the threads on this topic and if I did my apologies, but I thought it important to post.

We just returned from a cruise on the Constellation, which may I say is a fantastic ship, and was traveling with friends. We have sailed many times and always dine in Specialty restaurants not ever using the MDR. One of our favorite nights is Chefs table which we always attend. Our friends, who had never attended chefs table said they would like to join us on this cruise, Great!

So here is where I have an issue. Chefs table has always been a great menu paired with wines for each course, that is what “chefs table” is.

Well, on this chefs table we had a great meal paired with wines but was surprised to find out that the wine is an additional charge over and above what is quoted as chefs table. The price for chefs table was quoted at $139 PP, which I thought was a bargain since we have paid more in the past. 

We sailed in a suite so while in Michaels waiting for our cabin, a person came up to us and asked if they could help with any reservations. I said yes we would like to attend the chefs table. No problem a ticket was written up for $139 PP. No question if we would like wine with that chefs table. My friends signed a ticket for $139 PP.  We  attend chefs table and wine was poured with no question or suggestion that this was an additional charge. 

The event was held in Tuscan, and the last night we and my friends went to Tuscan for a last night dinner. Charge was $45 PP, no problem. We both had the beverage package so we had wine with dinner.

Came off the ship and while having breakfast we looked at our e-mailed bills and we both showed Tuscan October 30th $90 charged on one spouses card and $120 charged to the others. Scratching our heads we wondered why the $120 charge.

Back in the states and we both call about the $120 charge, returned call......you had a wine pairing. What?  we did not have a wine pairing with the last nights dinner, we had the beverage package. Response, no you had a pairing with chefs table earlier in the week. Response, I paid for chefs table $139 PP, response, there is a charge for the wine. Why didn’t that extra charge show up the night we attended chefs table. So chefs table is $199 PP, not an issue but tell me that up front.  Nowhere was that ever discussed, shared or pointed out. Response was that Celebrity just recently made a change on how they charge. I get it, I have been to chefs tables where people don’t drink, they like the food. Just show it that way when you sell it, with wine $199 PP no wine $139 PP.

It was not about the price, it was how it was “not shared” in selling it. Yes, on the Planner it says in small print at the bottom that wine pairing may be added once on board, no price shared. People, like my friends, who attended their first chefs table just didn’t need the surprise. 

We will attend many more Chefs Tables but will be aware of how it is charged! 

Cheers! 

Outcome of the debacle, Celebrity credited the $120 back to both us! Thank you Celebrity. Again not the price being a concern it’s how it is sold. The person I spoke with said they are working with the IT people show it differently on the planner. 

If they poured the wine while you were dining without letting you know there was an additional charge then they should not charge for it. I am glad they removed the charge from your bill. Seems like Celebrity is raising their prices for everything and charging for things that previously were included without making guests aware. Not a very good practice to woo new customers or keep loyal ones. Thanks for letting us know!

• Like 4

We were just on the Equinox and did the Murano Chefs table. The wines were included in the price. Thanks though we will now always ask about the price. Our Table was excellent and the price included lunch at Murano the next sea day. 

Was this the Daniel Boulud Chef's Table? There have been threads about the added wine pairing. Here is what is on my Cruise Planner. I booked it and planned to have the wine steward pair wine using my Premium Package (I think the wine was $60 PP extra - someone reported in another thread).

This is the explanation on my Cruise Planner. Note the last line. They should have let you know about the added cost!

image.thumb.png.7efa66dccd78972e574e5ce934527c11.png

Edited by vtcruising

I found this menu and it says at the bottom $60 PP for the wine. Not sure if yours was the Daniel Boulud Chef's Table or if they are changing the regular Chef's Tables to have the wine in addition to the cost.

image.png.5c490db7afe098f0c882cc99c5730374.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I found this menu and it says at the bottom $60 PP for the wine. Not sure if yours was the Daniel Boulud Chef's Table or if they are changing the regular Chef's Tables to have the wine in addition to the cost.

Thanks VT - I thought I had seen somewhere at X's website as well that there was a charge for the wine pairing.... yet no excuse for the order taker to no mention the additional cost.. while I understand the Wine Steward would presume that it was readily accepted by the diner.. beforehand.

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

Thanks VT - I thought I had seen somewhere at X's website as well that there was a charge for the wine pairing.... yet no excuse for the order taker to no mention the additional cost.. while I understand the Wine Steward would presume that it was readily accepted by the diner.. beforehand.

Cheers and bon voyage

Bo, off topic, but in case you haven't seen the exciting deals for this week, your Edge cruise has suite guarantees for $2399 PP no perks (with 4 perks for $2799). 🙂  I was very tempted...

Edited by vtcruising

2 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Bo, off topic, but in case you haven't seen the exciting deals for this week, your Edge cruise has suite guarantees for $2399 PP no perks (with 4 perks for $2799). 🙂  I was very tempted...

Yes, and I was tempted... alas traveling with 13 others would cause some consternation from within... LOL

bon voyage

Just now, vtcruising said:

You may need a place to get away from it all ...the Retreat is pretty sweet! 🙂

LOL, yes... I Am going to find out who is in charge there and find out if I can duck in from time to time as My Retreat...  alas, if not, Eden sounds like it might work nicely, too...

bon voyage

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Actually, just looked at the menu- the choices really aren't great- would rather just dine in Tuscan as I prefer the choices offered.  Since we also have the drink package, we can order most wines with our dinner.

Agree! I booked before I saw the menu - was hoping it would change by then, but ended up canceling the cruise.

16 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

However the S3 which is the least expensive sky suite is partially obstructed.  We make sure our S2 is on the opposite side of the ship from the Magic carpet.  It also can be noisey if the carpet is above or below the level of your cabin- or the railings create a real obstruction.  For a couple of hundred dollars go for the S2.

We did the chefs table a couple of years ago and were underwhelmed. We were promised an officer as a table mate and no disrespect as the company was lovely but the guy who produces the daily planner and the shore excursions manager are not officers. The meal was nice but not wow. We were in Luminae and I think the upcharge is not worth it as we had lovely meals and service in Luminae already.  Back to the point the wine was included in the cost 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, delondin said:

We did the chefs table a couple of years ago and were underwhelmed. We were promised an officer as a table mate and no disrespect as the company was lovely but the guy who produces the daily planner and the shore excursions manager are not officers. The meal was nice but not wow. We were in Luminae and I think the upcharge is not worth it as we had lovely meals and service in Luminae already.  Back to the point the wine was included in the cost 

We were also in Luminae when we did the Chef's Table and didn't feel the meal held a candle to most meals in Luminae and the service was better....much better.  

My husband's allergy to seafood left him out of the appetizer and the substitution was ONE, yes ONE asparagus spear sliced in half...….pretty underwhelming way to start the meal.....

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

image.png.5c490db7afe098f0c882cc99c5730374.png

They couldn’t have written the add on in smaller writing could they?

We have done a couple of Chefs Tables and what has made them good or not has been the company rather than the food or wine...

If you have a drinks package I do think this should be acknowledged in the cost of the wine add on...

OP, I am pleased Celebrity refunded, thanks for bringing this to the  attention of others...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Agree! I booked before I saw the menu - was hoping it would change by then, but ended up canceling the cruise.

Wow!  You canceled a cruise because you didn't like the menu?!  That's dedication!

LOL

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, villauk said:

Good grief $200pp 😳. You could go on another cruise for virtually the same money:

01F75F19-BE83-453F-A87F-7B48375B4EE5.jpeg

That was exactly my thought.

And to eat food that largely has been frozen for months, although, like in every dining venue on the ship, the vegetables would likely be fresh.