Yacht Club Changes

sidari

2 hours ago, mafig said:

I forgot about the Prime Rib.☹️  The gravy was horrible, but what was underneath was just as bad.  Our waiter (Seaside) told us it was cooked before and then brought to the desired degree of wellness.  

I still love the YC though.  

We actually broke out laughing when they served the prime rib. We then rationalized that they didn't say what it was a prime rib of!

• Haha 1

We disembarked Meraviglia yesterday and the staff did say that the minibar changes are coming. The service is so good, though, and the staff really try to provide what pax like. I'm sure we'll still be happy. We didn't use it much, but we did take snacks on excursions and they were replenished. 

We also had a delicious lobster tail on the last elegant night and we were offered a second. We inquired about the lobster at the pool grill and were told that it was too expensive and that the company was cutting back.

It seems that like with all lines and experiences, they change. During our trip, we noticed offerings were different than those recently posted. That's the danger for planners like me. I get my mind set on something and have to shift to the new reality. Regardless, it was a great experience. We were told that wine and liquor offerings are changing for the Caribbean market. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2019 at 8:40 PM, Hlitner said:

But the YC restaurant does have a menu.  Sure, you can ask for some kind of modification but the reality is that you are going to get the products on the menu (although the chef might accommodate a slightly different preparation).  No, you cannot simply say you want Lobster Thermidor.  If they happen to have lobster on the menu then perhaps the chef can make you Thermidor...but I would not hold my breath.

I appreciate your post as well as the others who have offered their observations after this one.  Thanks.  

From what I am inferring from these recent posts about YC dinners, one cannot request a specific entree for a future dinner.  I realize that the food requested must be aboard.  Requesting Lobster Thermidor, as an example, or a rack of Lamb  ought not to be impossible.  Requesting Filet of Kangaroo would be a ridiculous request.  Realizing that YC is not at a price point of a Silverseas, etc., YC's price point is at least equal or more to the most expensive accommodations on HAL, etc., I think.  Even on HAL, giving the dining staff enough advance notice, special requests can be usually accommodated.  Although, to be perfectly clear, I have not requested an entree like Lobster Thermidor. 

All of these posts even more pique my interest in what my YC experience is going to be.  

17 hours ago, L2float said:

We disembarked Meraviglia yesterday and the staff did say that the minibar changes are coming. The service is so good, though, and the staff really try to provide what pax like. I'm sure we'll still be happy. We didn't use it much, but we did take snacks on excursions and they were replenished. 

We also had a delicious lobster tail on the last elegant night and we were offered a second. We inquired about the lobster at the pool grill and were told that it was too expensive and that the company was cutting back.

It seems that like with all lines and experiences, they change. During our trip, we noticed offerings were different than those recently posted. That's the danger for planners like me. I get my mind set on something and have to shift to the new reality. Regardless, it was a great experience. We were told that wine and liquor offerings are changing for the Caribbean market. 

Thanks for the info. Love your picture, BTW, so cute. 😊 I hate changes being made last-minute, too. But I see it from the cruise line's perspective, as well. Especially in an industry where people can book staterooms several years in advance, there's no way they can guarantee that what's on offer today will be there next year, 2 years from now, etc.

19 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

IMHO you can't make Lobster Thermidor without lobster, so that leaves almost all cruise ships in the wrong genus.

Without question!  If lobster is not available on MSC Meraviglia in her YC Restaurant, then, I think I will have made a very disappointing mistake as to the cuisine I expected to receive in booking this cruise.  

Currently on board Seaside.  All items consumed from mini bar are replaced instantly.  More are available.  I currently have a lineup of 3 kinds of nuts, chocolate peanuts, and Pringles on my counter.  We are awash in food!  Service is excellent.

Embarcation was a cluster, but everything has been super since then.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Currently on board Seaside.  All items consumed from mini bar are replaced instantly.  More are available.  I currently have a lineup of 3 kinds of nuts, chocolate peanuts, and Pringles on my counter.  We are awash in food!  Service is excellent.

Glad to hear that. I still think it would be a shame if they cut out the mini fridge perk. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Glad to hear that. I still think it would be a shame if they cut out the mini fridge perk. 

Agreed, but if they do, we'll just do what we've done at fancy hotels: remove all of the stuff and replace it with our own snacks and beverages purchased independently.

15 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Hope there is still stocked mini bar when we board in june for 14 nights. Might be something small but my son and I did enjoy it while sitting in room late at night and just wanted something to munch on. Enjoy your cruise on Seaside!

15 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

I agree.  You can cut the alcoholic drinks at Venchi and no lobster tails at the pool grill but I enjoy that mini bar.  Everyone has different priorities in what they want out of YC experience.  Dont think I would pay to upgrade to premium plus so I can raid the mini bar.  For $17 per person per day I can bring those snacks onboard.  Also fine with included alcohol to YC passengers and no need for the upgraded liquors.

17 minutes ago, frank808 said:

I agree.  You can cut the alcoholic drinks at Venchi and no lobster tails at the pool grill but I enjoy that mini bar.  Everyone has different priorities in what they want out of YC experience.  Dont think I would pay to upgrade to premium plus so I can raid the mini bar.  For $17 per person per day I can bring those snacks onboard.  Also fine with included alcohol to YC passengers and no need for the upgraded liquors.

I really enjoy all those little perks you mentioned, in fact that’s why I switched from the Haven to the YC.

1 hour ago, frank808 said:

Hope there is still stocked mini bar when we board in june for 14 nights. Might be something small but my son and I did enjoy it while sitting in room late at night and just wanted something to munch on. Enjoy your cruise on Seaside!

I agree.  I think the free mini bar with snacks is something that sets Yacht Club apart.

My assistant butler served me a drink in the Topsail Lounge yesterday and noticed that I like a slice of lime in my San Pelegrino.  I now have sliced limes in my mini bar.  It is this type of attention to detail which sets Yacht Club apart.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, frank808 said:

but I enjoy that mini bar.  Everyone has different priorities in what they want out of YC experience.  

Quite correct.  The mini bar contents have very little interest for me.  If there is some CC or Crown Royal and a 7-Up/Ginger Ale soda available along with a Bloody Mary mix and a good Vodka, I am happy.  I rarely have a drink in my stateroom.  If there is food available as well, I surely don't need to consume more than what I am already consuming during the cruise!

I'd prefer Lobster at the Pool Grill to any changes in the mini bar's contents.  

3 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

The YC product is clearly deteriorating. How far it goes is the big question . What’s next after the mini fridge do you suppose?

And yet they are also adding thing, like the included premium internet package the Yacht Club gets on cruises after 5/2020.  So maybe that deterioration is not so clear, on an overall basis.  Maybe it is more of a reformulation.  As one who would otherwise have bought that internet package for about $150, and whose next YC cruise is well after that date, I appreciate that add-on.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

And yet they are also adding thing, like the included premium internet package the Yacht Club gets on cruises after 5/2020.  So maybe that deterioration is not so clear, on an overall basis.  Maybe it is more of a reformulation.  As one who would otherwise have bought that internet package for about $150, and whose next YC cruise is well after that date, I appreciate that add-on.  

Yes, you’re right to a degree. I just wonder why they are taking so long to add the internet perk (I know it’s next May) and what else they will cut to offset this enhancement.

5 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

The YC product is clearly deteriorating. How far it goes is the big question . What’s next after the mini fridge do you suppose?

Hopefully it’s deteriorating enough for those who think it is that demand will go down.  Try booking the Haven or RC Star Suites for the same YC dollar.  

Edited by GratefulRIC
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Yes, you’re right to a degree. I just wonder why they are taking so long to add the internet perk (I know it’s next May) and what else they will cut to offset this enhancement.

It may be something as simple as timing it to coincide with upgrades to their internet capabilities.  

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

They prices have gone up but guessing due to demand.  Check, a deluxe on our March trip is now $8800 for two.  Would not pay that for a better room on NCL unless maybe an OS, DOS, or GV.

Not enough information to justify the price of $8,800 or not. Ship, destination and length of you cruise in March ?

Posting a total price with no other info is worthless.  Consider that the YC generally is priced around $300 per person/day.  It does vary depending on the cruise and you can usually get some nice onboard credits if you book through the right cruise agency.  That makes the YC all-inclusive.  Is it worth the money?  That depends on your own perspective and financial situation.  Also consider that some of the luxury lines are priced in the $600 - $1000 per person/day region.

Hank

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Posting a total price with no other info is worthless.  Consider that the YC generally is priced around $300 per person/day.  It does vary depending on the cruise and you can usually get some nice onboard credits if you book through the right cruise agency.  That makes the YC all-inclusive.  Is it worth the money?  That depends on your own perspective and financial situation.  Also consider that some of the luxury lines are priced in the $600 - $1000 per person/day region.

Hank

Agreed. When we were researching prices for our Caribbean cruise, MSC YC was easily more than $1,000 pp less than similar cabins on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and NCL. Celebrity was especially crazy, it was something like $3,000 pp and we're paying about $1800. They do have cheaper itineraries at other times, but I choose based on what fits with my schedule, not when the cruise line wants me to go.

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

Agreed. When we were researching prices for our Caribbean cruise, MSC YC was easily more than $1,000 pp less than similar cabins on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and NCL. Celebrity was especially crazy, it was something like $3,000 pp and we're paying about $1800. They do have cheaper itineraries at other times, but I choose based on what fits with my schedule, not when the cruise line wants me to go.

Celebrity is a topic unto itself.  Since Lisa Lutoff-Perlo became CEO she has imposed some huge price increases coupled with numerous cutbacks.  Some of the pricing on the new ships were significantly higher then far better lines.  We cruised on Seabourn for less money then it would have cost us in comparable cabins on the Edge.  There are some Celebrity fans who will pay the ridiculous prices but there has also been a lot of “price resistance” resulting in some last minute bargains.

Hank

• Like 2