LIVE – Explorer Transatlantic – 11/23 – 12/7/2019

Travelcat2

A few updates!  First, the computer is slower than we have experienced (which only verifies what others have said).  It is just about time for the show (which I'm not interested in but Dennis is) so there are not many people online but the system remains slow.  It is what it is so no use complaining (as so many others prefer to do).

Had dinner at Pacific Rim. There seemed to be a couple of items that we did not see before but am not 100% sure about that (snow crab with grapefruit and pommelo for instance).  It was good but I ordered way too much.  I did not recognize crew members in PR but their service was impeccable!

The Business Center (aka the computer room) now has a glass wall and the door is also glass.  It looks nice (as does most of the ship).  We cannot find any hand/keyboard/mouse cleaner so I use the hand sanitizer to wet my hands and rub them over the keyboard and mouse

I spoke with someone (important to keep names private) that shared information about the changes on Regent.  One thing was the dress code.  It was their job (amongst other things) to gently remind guests if they were not abiding by the dress code.  The response of some passengers was "do you realize how much I am paying for this cruise?"  They had an attitude that they could do whatever they want to do.  If I was working on Regent, I would remind them that I do realize what they are paying but wonder if they realize that there is a dress code and one should not sail on Regent if they could not abide by that code.  Thankfully, most guests are abiding by the code.

There are one or two children on the cruise (same family).  As usual, I feel sorry for them as they have no one to talk to.  Still feel that "most" parents that take their children on a Regent cruise are a bit selfish.

Please - no comments about the last two paragraphs.  This is my opinion and I would appreciate not having a "dress code" or "children" discussion on this thread.  My feelings are my feelings and should be respected - even if you disagree.

I have not visited the theater (lack of interest) but will likely do so tomorrow.  We are having dinner with an officer in P7 which typically ends around show time.  

Someone (likely on Roll Call since that is the only place that I now post  when there is not a "live thread"...... my choice) commented about missed ports, rough seas, etc.  The Captain told us that he expected the seas to be fairly calm between Lisbon and Funchal.  Hope that this is the case.  We love Funchal (missed it last year due to rough seas) and have plans for when we are docked there (fingers crossed).

I find it interesting that we have two CD's.  Lorraine and David.  Maybe Lorraine is about to go on vacation.  Not sure what is going on there.  Have spoken to several crew members that will be on Splendor next year.  Very excited to be on the new ship, however, there is a 0% chance that we would prefer her to Explorer.  We followed the building of this ship from way before building even started so we have a special affinity for Explorer.

Dennis just came by to let me know that show was too loud (wish that Regent would learn from customer complaints about the theater and lounges being too loud!).   I am in the computer room and can hear the music from the theater quite clearly. This is most unfortunate.  The fact that young people (thinking about the crew) have damaged their hearing by listening to loud music in their earphones should not be a measure of how many decibels a band/show should play at).  Most Regent cruisers did not destroy their hearing with loud music and we find it intolerable (note:  I was a huge rock and roll fan in my younger years but never blasted it in my ears and therefore find the music way too loud.

Sorry if this post sounds like a rant.  The first day onboard is always challenging.  We are tired and, speaking for myself, spent the afternoon unpacking (once again I packed way too much).  

Lastly, thanks to those of you that have missed me.  It is a personal decision to not post on the Regent board for many reasons.  I will continue posting Roll Call and when we are onboard a Regent cruise.  Thank you for your understanding.

Will attend the Meet and Mingle tomorrow morning as I am interested in meeting a few people.  Hoping to start posting photos tomorrow.

That is all for now.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I find it interesting that we have two CD's.  Lorraine and David.  Maybe Lorraine is about to go on vacation.  Not sure what is going on there.

David is filling in as ACD. Lorraine joined the ship 2 weeks ago and just started her rotation. 

TC2 said: "Service is great - food is great.  Many, many new crew members but they seem to be doing fine.  I was blown away when Daniella (former F&B Director - now a Corporate employee) walked into the Business Center last night.  She is onboard for only 4 days.  She is definitely one of our favorite people on Regent."

Ours TOO!  Daniella is friendly and gracious but foremost was a talented  F&B Director, always watching that things went "right" and the staff was appropriately trained. We participated in some highly enjoyable events on her watch. Would love to someday cruise with her as the GM.

Edited by DeepFreeze63
clarification of tense

The internet seems to have taken a big leap forward today.  That’s a big plus.  Previous cruise it would last about 5 minutes and slowly die. Today I’ve been on for over an hour and though quite slow, I have uploaded several photos, messages etc with no problem. They also put a door closure thing on the bottom of the closet, so no longer sliding back and forth.

TC I’m wondering why you you use the ships computer instead of a personal device?   I’m only using my iPhone 11 for all internet related things.  Usually , I bring an iPad, but it seemed superfluous.  Does the internet work better on the ship’s computer?   Just curious...

Missed the CC m and m. Just too tired from the long excursion yesterday. 11am seemed too early for cocktails.   Hope you had fun! 

• Thanks 1

TAP business class air was excellent. We flew on an A330-900 neo, lay flat seats very comfortable. Flight was late in evening but still offered full course meal. Landed in Lisbon a little behind schedule had a long walk from gate to customs and baggage pick up, Regent rep was there to meet us plus 3 young men from Four Seasons they looked after taking luggage to the van we just followed along. Everything from being met at the airport to delivery to the ship was extremely well organized.

I signed up for the meet and greet but have not received notice of when it will be as yet. 
Its bright and sunny today but windy, we are having swells that keep us swaying, food and service has been excellent so far.  We go to Prime 7 this evening looking forward to that.

4 hours ago, judi666 said:

The internet seems to have taken a big leap forward today.  That’s a big plus.  Previous cruise it would last about 5 minutes and slowly die. Today I’ve been on for over an hour and though quite slow, I have uploaded several photos, messages etc with no problem. They also put a door closure thing on the bottom of the closet, so no longer sliding back and forth.

TC I’m wondering why you you use the ships computer instead of a personal device?   I’m only using my iPhone 11 for all internet related things.  Usually , I bring an iPad, but it seemed superfluous.  Does the internet work better on the ship’s computer?   Just curious...

Missed the CC m and m. Just too tired from the long excursion yesterday. 11am seemed too early for cocktails.   Hope you had fun! 

Looked for you at the Meet and Greet.  Yes - rather early to drink but had a mimosa.  Really good turnout.

In terms of devices, I’m kind of old school in terms of wanting a “proper” keyboard and having the printer nearby.  Also, since I type extremely fast on a regular keyboard, I can get things done much faster.  On the other hand, I took a photo on my iPhone 11 and am typing on my iPad at the moment (much slower in our suite than in the computer room).  One place that I had good connectivity was in the seating area across from Reception (by the window).   A good keyboard is important for me (my iPads both have keyboards inside of the case which is much better than trying to type on an iPhone).  

Having a great time so far.  Love our suite - very comfortable.  

DeepFreeze63 - unfortunately you will not be seeing Daniela on a ship as F&B Director.  She is now Corporate and goes from ship to ship.  On Regent, they are putting some upscale champagne lunches, wine and spirits tasting on all Regent ships (as is typical, Explorer launches it first - on this cruise).  Unfortunately, due to having no OBC’s left and we are too cheap to pay almost $500 for the two of us to try the champagne lunch, it will have to wait unti another cruise.  It is interesting how people’s priorities are different.  We are happy to pay for an upper suite but not for a champagne lunch ...... go figure.

Despite what I said this morning, I have yet to take any more photos but promise to do so.   May attempt to retype the alcohol list as it has changed quite a bit and my photos of menu’s, etc. tend to come out crooked and difficult to read (my fault of course).   Hoping to take a few photos of what activities are available on sea days.  I is just taking a while.

The first 24 hours on a ship is always a bit hectic for us — looking forward to it calming down.  

Our favorite excursion in this part of the world will be tomorrow.  Regent surprised everyone by putting a price tag on this excursion (it showed up on the sheet that is given to all guests upon embarkation - where Regent shows updates to booked excursions).  Still going but wish that we knew this in advance.

Had lunch with a friend (and Dennis) in La Veranda.  It was quite good.  As much as we like the option of dining in Chartreuse or P7 for lunch, we sometimes want less food so we go to LV.  Had really excellent salmon with a hoisin glaze (I don’t care much for salmon but this was really good).  Had my one Mexican Butterfly for lunch (would have had two but couldn’t find the person to order it from.  The service has been fine - just a lot of new crew members (I keep saying this because we are so aware of it).  Daniela (former F&B) said that there were many crew members that she had never met onboard and she has worked on all of the ships (including Oceania) for quite a few years.  

Z, if you are reading this, it is a bit too rocky and cool to have drinks on the Pool Deck but am keeping it in mind.  Hope that a Mexican Butterfly qualifies for our “club”.  Thinking that it might since it’s made with tequila 😇

Mudhen - if you are reading this, we are still looking for the “right” lounge for this trip.  We found our bartender but forgot to ask where he is serving.  Will update you when we figure it out.  Went to the Observation Lounge last night and found it a bit too crowded (but the service did not suffer).  Tonight we’ll try the Meridian Lounge.  

Need some down time.  May write later if there is anything to report on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Our favorite excursion in this part of the world will be tomorrow.  Regent surprised everyone by putting a price tag on this excursion (it showed up on the sheet that is given to all guests upon embarkation - where Regent shows updates to booked excursions).  Still going but wish that we knew this in advance.

Seems a bit disingenuous to have an included excursion pre-cruise turn into an extra cost excursion after boarding.  Not the luxury experience to be charged for something after booking it at no additions cost from the included list.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Seems a bit disingenuous to have an included excursion pre-cruise turn into an extra cost excursion after boarding.  Not the luxury experience to be charged for something after booking it at no additions cost from the included list.

I would not call it disingenuous - it happens occasionally with good reason.  Regent allows some passengers to book 240 days prior to the cruise.  Tour Operators likely increase their prices so the previously included excursion  becomes a Regent Choice.  It is not about Regent doing anything wrong -  just wished that they could share this information prior to the cruise (when it is possible to do so).

In any case, for those interested in what goes on during a sea day, I’ll try to post photos. If it unreadable, I’ll repost tomorrow or later toight.

B55F2698-EF3D-4C09-A0D6-42C5B7EAC89D.jpeg

EC58E6EB-1F68-4033-99C3-3DE81E28AB9C.jpeg

DD85365C-7C09-48C6-9973-F1234C197DE9.jpeg

Edited by Travelcat2

I think Regent is wrong to add a cost to what was listed as an included excursion originally.  When I was running Study Abroad programmes around the world we quite often had the same situation - planned to take students to x or y museum as a part of the programme and then new costs surfaced.   We did not pass on these costs to our students, who enrolled in the programme on the basis of what was offered at the time  and paid the fee we had announced.

I do hope your excursion will be lovely though - no matter the additional charge!  Please tell us all about it in due course.

• Like 5

Suggestion - instead of spending time typing out the wine list, ask the computer consultant if they can scan it for you. Although there is no scanner in the computer room, I have been able to get documents scanned to a thumb drive upon request.

5 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I think Regent is wrong to add a cost to what was listed as an included excursion originally.  When I was running Study Abroad programmes around the world we quite often had the same situation - planned to take students to x or y museum as a part of the programme and then new costs surfaced.   We did not pass on these costs to our students, who enrolled in the programme on the basis of what was offered at the time  and paid the fee we had announced.

Totally agree - anyone involved in trip planning knows that there can be significant fluctuations in currency valuation, as well as other cost variations  from the time the trip is originally planned until it actually takes place, but it is totally wrong to notify the purchaser that additional payment will be required at the very last minute - this is not something one would expect from a luxury travel operator.

• Like 1

According to Regent website (not necessarily correct) the only extra costs are the private car or private van; however, the toboggan excursion is missing from the list, I assume that is what you are talking about.  Tea at Reids still shows as free on the website.

Have fun on the toboggan!!!

Marc

Currencies ought not to be a problem - we used to buy ours forward to cover expenses a year or so out.  Local tour operators raising prices because of inflation - that is another isse.  And maybe getting lower "enrolment" in a tour might be too.  That said - Regent should be swallowing the increase IMO.

If the toboggan is involved - ouch!  I did that when I was first in Madeira in 1952.  I was 10.  And very "jolted" by the experience.   Not something I care to repeat.  In 1952 it did not come down from Monte either - it was only in town, so a lot flatter.   Hopefully the Botanical Garden is involved in Jackie's tour - it is outstanding.

41 minutes ago, gnomie1 said:

Totally agree - anyone involved in trip planning knows that there can be significant fluctuations in currency valuation, as well as other cost variations  from the time the trip is originally planned until it actually takes place, but it is totally wrong to notify the purchaser that additional payment will be required at the very last minute - this is not something one would expect from a luxury travel operator.

16 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Currencies ought not to be a problem - we used to buy ours forward to cover expenses a year or so out.  Local tour operators raising prices because of inflation - that is another isse.  And maybe getting lower "enrolment" in a tour might be too.  That said - Regent should be swallowing the increase IMO.

51 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Completely agree with these posters.  A contract whether between the tour operator or the customer with Regent is a Contract and not changeable at the whim of either party.  Currency fluctuations are a fact of life and generally figured into any future pricing.  Cruise fares are posted years in advance and have never seen them increase and sure contracts the cruise line enters into probably don't go as far out as cruise pricing is provided.  Also prices go up and down, have never seen an excursion drop upon boarding. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

According to Regent website (not necessarily correct) the only extra costs are the private car or private van; however, the toboggan excursion is missing from the list, I assume that is what you are talking about.  Tea at Reids still shows as free on the website.

Have fun on the toboggan!!!

Marc

Actually, the excursion that we love and will repeat tomorrow is the Madeira Culinary Immersion & Hilltop Lunch.  This is a limited excursion and is very good.  Hope that the description shows below.

seaknots - cannot believe the price that you brought up.  Wow - what an increase.  

For those of you that are retired (like us - it has been 17 1/2 years), the price increases for most things have skyrocketed.  When we have to pay $6 for a beer during happy hour in a city of 80,000 that has 12 breweries seems over the top to us.  We are friends with some restaurant owners that say that they either cut portions or lower the quality.  Many restaurants are going out of business.

This reminds me of our Australian cruise 6 years ago when sandwiches in Sydney were around $18 and coffee was close to $9.  They had a $15/hour minimum wage which is the direction that Washington state is going.  Okay - I am wildly off topic on my own thread.  Thanks to all of you that have contributed with kindness and understanding.  It does make a difference.  If everyone was so kind, I would not be leaving CC. However, this is not the case and I cannot deal with the negativity any longer.  I will leave it to others to  do research and to come up with responses to newbies.  

Dinner with the Head Engineer was a lot of fun.  Finally found the crew that we know and it was like a reunion - so lovely.  

Thanks to all of you that are following this thread.

40252A9C-C840-4080-AB03-DC569AD40FA3.jpeg

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Thanks 1

Jackie, that is still showing as free on Regent website:

FNC-1GT MADEIRA CULINARY IMMERSION & HILLTOP LUNCH

Tour Price: $0.00 Retail Price: $179.00

Date: November 25, 2019 09:15 AM

Gather in the Culinary Arts Kitchen with your small group and your Chef Instructor to review the day's tour and learn the highlights of Madeira's wines and

cuisine. As a micro-climate, Madeira is home to many hybrid and exotic fruits, many of which you will see during your tour. Your Chef Instructor will show you

photos of these specimens so you’ll be sure not to miss them in the market. Together with your Chef Instructor, you'll meet the culinary guide and head off to the

center of Funchal and the Old Blandy Wine Lodge. Once at the lodge, you'll have a guided tour of this 17th century monastery and learn about the famous

Madeira wines. As you stroll amongst the large oak and mahogany casks, you'll learn about the unique canteiro system for aging this wine that is steeped in

tradition. You'll also visit a museum on the traditions of Madeira wine making, including original letters from Winston Churchill, one of the wines most ardent

fans. At the conclusion of the lodge and museum tour, you'll sample various aged Madeira wines with local nibbles. From here, you will cross the heart of this

enchanting harbor town on foot, to the bustling fresh fish and produce market, Mercado dos Lavradores. One of the most magnificent markets in Europe, this

two story stone building with high ceilings and skylights hosts stalls abundant with tropical flowers, colorful produce, exotic spices and freshly-caught fish. You'll

see the espada preta (or black scabbard), a uniquely prehistoric-looking fish found only off Madeira's shores. Re-board your bus for a scenic ride along the

coastline and along the terraced patchwork of farms growing bananas and pineapples. Atop the hill of Estreito Camara de Lobos you and your small group will

enjoy a warm welcome from your hosts at Adega da Quinta, serving truly authentic Madeiran cuisine. Join in and make Madeiran sweet potato griddle bread or

prepare a skewer of meat and fresh bay leaves to grill over the open fire. You will enjoy a demonstration of the local drink Poncha, made with a specific wooden

stick rolled between the hands for about a minute causing a swirl and making it the perfect apertivo! Enjoy lunch on the flowering stone terrace of this

enchanting restaurant, where the hearty and plentiful dishes will keep coming, along with the wine and smiles from your servers. Return with memories of this

uniquely rustic island and its abundance of culinary treasures. Please note: This tour includes approximately 3 hours of moderate walking/standing plus any

additional walking at the guests' discretion during free time. There will be some uneven, cobblestone surfaces and steps to negotiate. The tour is not available to

wheelchair guests and may not be suitable for those with mobility concerns who are cautioned to carefully evaluate their personal level of stamina and ability.

Weather appropriate clothing that should include a warm jacket; sun cap; sunglasses; and flat, comfortable walking shoes are recommended.

6 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Mudhen - if you are reading this, we are still looking for the “right” lounge for this trip.  We found our bartender but forgot to ask where he is serving.  Will update you when we figure it out.  Went to the Observation Lounge last night and found it a bit too crowded (but the service did not suffer).  Tonight we’ll try the Meridian Lounge.  

Jackie, and others on this cruise, FYI, several people on Facebook had a lot of nice things to say about Voices and Keys duo who perform in the  Explorer Lounge, I have never seen them so can't vouch, but perhaps you would like to check them out.

Bob