On board the Celebrity Edge

zltm089

On board the Celebrity Edge

Voyage details: 24th of November - Western Caribbean Cruise

The Edge is one of Celebrity’s flagship vessels and we were very impressed with the chic modern design of the ship. This is our first celebrity cruise and I have to say that it does slot nicely in the   Premium “light” category of cruise lines. To provide this review with a bit of context, my cruise history is not as extensive but having cruised with Cunard (QM2 and QV) and being a big foodie, I’d like to think that I would be able to provide a fairly accurate review of the Edge with regards to its facilities and dining experience.

We had an infinite veranda in the concierge class and the views we had at sunrise and sunset were spectacular. The room itself was quite spacious and had lots of storage capacity. Design was modern and elegant. The technology on board was top notch and innovative with the ability to control lights, tv programs, aircon and other features all from our mobile app. Our cabin attendant was very helpful and friendly. Our cabin was conveniently located close to most of the ships amenities and it was very easy to find directions across the ship.

The complimentary dining restaurants were all beautifully decorated and had a modern design feel mixed with some traditional features. However, the food was slightly below standard when compared to the beauty of the ship. Having sampled some great restaurants onshore in Fort Lauderdale and Miami, I am perhaps being slightly harsh here but I was expecting better preparation, freshness and quality in the main dining restaurants on board. The buffet restaurant was overcrowded at times and I was hoping for more variety and better quality food (again, please note that I normally only go to well reviewed restaurants on TripAdvisor so my standards/expectations are relatively quite high).  

The evening shows and entertainment were good (not expecting “Broadway” type of shows in a ship). The main theatre’s capacity was fairly limited though. It’s a new ship and as such all the public areas were modern, nice and clean. The overall feel was definitely like you were in a premium ship, there were plenty of space around the pools to relax and a lot of high end shops on board. Evenings were not too formal or overly posh.

Overall, I would say that this ship is beautifully designed and it does have a premium feel atmosphere. Service from the staff was excellent. Shore excursions were good and well organised. Only area of improvement would be the dining facilities and buffet restaurant.

20191124_114627.jpg

20191124_114642.jpg

20191124_114651.jpg

20191124_114656.jpg

20191124_115028.jpg

20191124_115415.jpg

20191124_115828.jpg

20191124_115840.jpg

20191124_115855.jpg

20191124_115918.jpg

20191124_163137.jpg

20191124_180156.jpg

20191124_185755.jpg

20191124_185804.jpg

20191124_185811.jpg

20191124_185821.jpg

20191124_154307.jpg

20191124_160859.jpg

20191124_195254.jpg

20191124_220254.jpg

20191124_220324.jpg

20191125_085236.jpg

20191125_100343.jpg

20191124_160133.jpg

20191124_160647.jpg

20191124_211751.jpg

20191125_205600.jpg

20191125_212640.jpg

20191126_205204.jpg

20191126_211150.jpg

20191130_203323.jpg

Edited by zltm089
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Glad that so far, you are enjoying your cruise.  I would be interested to hear your foodie review from Luminae, as I was very pleased with my meals there, especially the Chateaubriand, but I realized that was not your choice for a first cruise on Edge.  I thoroughly enjoyed my early morning breakfasts in the OVC, finding the "out of the oven almond croissants" to be exceptional.  I order my breakfast freshly made, and when it first opens, so that could be the difference...timing and restaurant choices. I am not a big foodie, so my pallet may not be up to your level either.

Thanks for sharing...looking forward to more of your thoughts.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Glad that so far, you are enjoying your cruise.  I would be interested to hear your foodie review from Luminae, as I was very pleased with my meals there, especially the Chateaubriand, but I realized that was not your choice for a first cruise on Edge.  I thoroughly enjoyed my early morning breakfasts in the OVC, finding the "out of the oven almond croissants" to be exceptional.  I order my breakfast freshly made, and when it first opens, so that could be the difference...timing and restaurant choices. I am not a big foodie, so my pallet may not be up to your level either.

Thanks for sharing...looking forward to more of your thoughts.

Luminae is for suite guests only, so couldn't try it out. But I met a few people onboard who loved the food and they said that there was a difference between the main dinning restaurants and Luminae.

I also didn't try any of the specialty restaurants, Le Petit Chef was on my list and was tempted to book a table, but when I got on board, I was slightly disappointed with the food in general that I didn't want to risk paying for specialty dining.

Off topic, if you're into seafood, I can recommend the lobster tail at a restaurant called the Lobster Pot in the Grand Cayman Islands. It's not fine dinning per se, but the food was very well prepared and definitely one of the best I've tasted in my whole life.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review and photos.  I was on Edge immediately after you.  I was slightly apprehensive based on a lot of negative reviews that I read ahead of time, but everything was great.  Beautiful ship; great weather; made some wonderful new friends.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Would you book the EDGE again or APEX?

The prices for APEX are still relative high.

I'm planning to try out Silhouette next year and Holland America Line - Koningsdam.

Holland and America Line has two new ships which I want to try Koningsdam and Niew Statendam, so will have to keep Apex out of the list for the time being.

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Z - Thank you for your insights on 'Our' sailing and it was great to meet you.

Look forward to more interaction on our next sailing together...

bon appetite and bon voyage

Thank you Bo!

I didn't get the chance to meet any of the cruise critic members (apart from you), but will try to on my next cruise.

I do like the Americans I met onboard and have to say that you all have a great sense of humour! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, zltm089 said:

Thank you Bo!

I didn't get the chance to meet any of the cruise critic members (apart from you), but will try to on my next cruise.

I do like the Americans I met onboard and have to say that you all have a great sense of humour! 

Thank you Kevin!

Many of us Americans have a great sense of humour, especially after a few cocktails... 😁

Look to see you, as well...

bon voyage

44 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Thank you Kevin!

Many of us Americans have a great sense of humour, especially after a few cocktails... 😁

Look to see you, as well...

bon voyage

When and where is your next cruise buddy?

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Not impressed with the look of the IV. A category we wouldn't book. 

I agree. I had an infinite verandah booked in a CC and just yesterday when the ocean view verandahs dropped in price by $600 I quickly changed my cabin.  Still got to keep all 4 perks so I'm happy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, davekathy said:

OP...thanks for sharing. Great photos. Not impressed with the look of the IV. A category we wouldn't book. 

A few people onboard commented on how they hated it.

It is definitely different from the traditional balconies.

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2019 at 1:27 PM, lola2013 said:

Thanks for the review and photos.  I was on Edge immediately after you.  I was slightly apprehensive based on a lot of negative reviews that I read ahead of time, but everything was great.  Beautiful ship; great weather; made some wonderful new friends.

Hope you enjoyed it.

I saw lots of people waiting to board when I was leaving the ship.

19 hours ago, Mauidiver said:

It seems like people either really like the IV or don’t.

We really liked it  and would book another .  The Sunset Veranda cabin was larger with an awesome balcony but we hardly used it..too much sun.

• Like 1