ms Nieuw Amsterdam in Port Everglades ecember 14, 2019

Scrapnana

10 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

As posted on a different thread, the Saturday cruise is on! Anyone want to venture a guess on what the hour delay coming back means?

D05D343B-CC1C-4C9C-82E6-B647DE772792.jpe

This is a great Christmas Present for those who have been looking forward to this cruise. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

As posted on a different thread, the Saturday cruise is on! Anyone want to venture a guess on what the hour delay coming back means?

D05D343B-CC1C-4C9C-82E6-B647DE772792.jpe

Maybe because there are no passengers to dis-embark, there is no rush to get back earlier.

Edited by MISTER 67

So  for anyone who was on the cancelled cruise, have you investigated having your travel insurance cover your flights or added hotel expense? I asked someone from tripinsurancestore.com about the situation and this is what she told me. It seems like insurance would not cover the flight to Florida if the cruise is cancelled. The red is her response

The situation that you described would be considered mechanical failure which would be covered under the cancellation. Since Holland America is refunding the cost of the cruise as well as the airfare there would be nothing for the insurance to cover. 

Would travel insurance cover the cost of the flights since the cruise was cancelled and in theory you went to Florida for nothing?  If the flight was already used no it would not be reimbursed.

How about if you choose to book a hotel and stay in Florida for a few days and take your original flight back? The insurance company will not cover you for the hotel cost. However if there was an accident or medical needed while in FL it would be covered.

Edited by MisterBill99

I have sent 91 days on this great ship and have enjoyed each of those days. I hope all who leave on Saturday for the Christmas cruise enjoy this beautiful and elegant ship.  Merry Christmas to all and enjoy the Nieuw Amsterdam.

• Like 1

If the 21 December cruise is cancelled, I'd invite everyone up to the Space Coast/Port Canaveral area for Christmas dinner, but unfortunately, my oven is broken, and I can't get it serviced until January 13.  I wasn't worried about it since we are booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam for three weeks starting the 21st.  🎅  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fraxinus7 said:

The only change is our arrival back on the 28th is an hour delayed.

Which could be for a number of reasons. One hour is nothing in the grand scheme of things, especially if your itinerary remained the same. The one hour delay might be caused by increased activity in the port, slight changes to freighter/tanker departures/arrivals etc. If your itinerary is the same and your time in ports is not shortened, then they most likely feel confident that they can run at their required speed.

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Food that would have spoiled on NA donated to a Florida food bank. Tis the season for giving, good deeds and smart management.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/news/fresh-fruit-and-produce-from-nieuw-amsterdam-donated-to-feeding-south-florida/

A great move by HAL!

• Like 1