ms Nieuw Amsterdam in Port Everglades ecember 14, 2019

Scrapnana

Imagine if 2100 people got stranded at sea if the other azipod  goes. I am on the cruise 12/21, and reading all these posts make me leery. 

7 hours ago, Mtnlady2 said:

Thanks for all of this info....we are scheduled for 12/21 and wondering what tomorrow will bring!  Not thrilled about embarking on a 'wounded' ship! 

52 minutes ago, wesport said:

Looks like she is close to Freeport currently according to google. 

Yes..According to marine traffic the ship is very close to Freeport.  Will be interesting to see what happens and how long the repairs are going to take. 

1 minute ago, ozzie0075 said:

So, we are supposed to know by 3pm today about Saturdays sailing.  Seems to be cutting it close. 

1 minute ago, ozzie0075 said:

Yes..According to marine traffic the ship is very close to Freeport.  Will be interesting to see what happens and how long the repairs are going to take. 

Part of HAL’s decision might involve what itinerary is possible with one azipod, and then can they make it all happen in a few days. And finally, do they allow people to cancel because of the drastically changed itinerary.

Not a an easy set of tasks for any business at any time of the year - never mind the Holidays.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wesport said:

Imagine if 2100 people got stranded at sea if the other azipod  goes. I am on the cruise 12/21, and reading all these posts make me leery. 

By the time you board she will not be wounded.  I have been on ALL the current ships and my favorite is the m. s. NIEUW AMSTERDAM.  She is a wonderful ship!

18 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/

Search on the ship name and then you can zoom into the location.  I compared the location on this system to the Google earth view and it looks like the area where the dry docks are located.

FYI, you can change the view on the marine traffic site to "satellite view" instead of having to open google earth. Based on that view, it's not currently dry docked but it's docked right next to them.

5 hours ago, wesport said:

And yet, it's been done before, with government approval. It may be a moot point since the ship is currently at the Freeport repair facility, but given the choice sailing a ship with one azipod or having your holiday cruise cancelled, which would you choose?

Edited by MisterBill99

22 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

And yet, it's been done before, with government approval. It may be a moot point since the ship is currently at the Freeport repair facility, but given the choice sailing a ship with one azipod or having your holiday cruise cancelled, which would you choose?

You could look at it from the passenger's POV. NA is a big ship designed with two pods. You could run with one, but there are consequences. While HAL would like to continue running the ship for the $$$, would the aft passengers accept the noise/vibration.

From the insurer's POV, there would be mega lawsuits in the USA if something went wrong.

Personally, I would accept the refund and compensation. After all, this is Fort Lauderdale and there are plenty of attractions in Florida.

31 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Personally, I would accept the refund and compensation. After all, this is Fort Lauderdale and there are plenty of attractions in Florida.

Yes, but the last place I would want to be Christmas week is the Orlando area, as some have suggested. I would just look for a hotel somewhere near the FLL area and hope it's not prohibitively expense (and even available).

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

You could look at it from the passenger's POV. NA is a big ship designed with two pods. You could run with one, but there are consequences. While HAL would like to continue running the ship for the $$$, would the aft passengers accept the noise/vibration.

From the insurer's POV, there would be mega lawsuits in the USA if something went wrong.

You are, of course, assuming there would be increased noise and vibration, which I take to mean you have personally experienced it?

And, even the Carnival Triumph only resulted in a few hundred thousand dollars in awards for lawsuits.  I believe they paid more settling the "robocall" lawsuit than they did for the Triumph.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2019 at 5:18 PM, MisterBill99 said:

Actually what I found was referring to the 1931 version and it was apparently some sort of lawsuit regarding building something similar in Newport News. That ship had been built in The Netherlands.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ko31qWLiEXUC&pg=PA613&lpg=PA613&dq=nieuw+amsterdam+newport+news&source=bl&ots=TYoyBFyOCG&sig=ACfU3U0t9b79rUg-5k-ezSgOgbBfeQU8cA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjPvuCHxLnmAhWabs0KHav8AmIQ6AEwDXoECAUQAQ#v=onepage&q=nieuw amsterdam newport news&f=false

The beautiful Nieuw Amsterdam (2) , built in Rotterdam at Rotterdamsche Droogdok Maatschappij. She was sadly scrapped in 1973 in Kaoshiung , Taiwan.

My father sailed on her for many years . I consider myself lucky to have been on that ship many times.

The ship was built with lot of support of the central government in order to provide jobs when the economy was just slowly recovering in the early to mid 1930’s.

23 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

The beautiful Nieuw Amsterdam (2) , built in Rotterdam at Rotterdamsche Droogdok Maatschappij. She was sadly scrapped in 1973 in Kaoshiung , Taiwan.

My father sailed on her for many years . I consider myself lucky to have been on that ship many times.

The ship was built with lot of support of the central government in order to provide jobs when the economy was just slowly recovering in the early to mid 1930’s.

The "Darling of the Dutch" She was a beaut!

Holland America Line - Nieuw Amsterdam II.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2019 at 7:36 AM, MisterBill99 said:

Good point, and when I Googled Nieuw Amsterdam Newport News, I discovered that a much earlier generation of the ship did actually have some work there (maybe even built there)? Still, I doubt they're going to be comfortable enough on Tuesday afternoon to say that the cruise on Saturday is a go if it is going anywhere for work.

On 12/16/2019 at 4:18 PM, MisterBill99 said:

Actually what I found was referring to the 1931 version and it was apparently some sort of lawsuit regarding building something similar in Newport News. That ship had been built in The Netherlands.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ko31qWLiEXUC&pg=PA613&lpg=PA613&dq=nieuw+amsterdam+newport+news&source=bl&ots=TYoyBFyOCG&sig=ACfU3U0t9b79rUg-5k-ezSgOgbBfeQU8cA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjPvuCHxLnmAhWabs0KHav8AmIQ6AEwDXoECAUQAQ#v=onepage&q=nieuw amsterdam newport news&f=false

What that is referring to is the fact that in those days, Congress paid a "construction subsidy" as set up by the Merchant Marine Act of 1936, which paid the difference in cost between building a ship in a US shipyard against building the same ship in a foreign shipyard.  Congress was studying to see whether the cost differential that would become the taxpayer's burden as subsidy, was fair and appropriate, and to do so they needed a similar ship built in a foreign shipyard for comparison, and the older NA fit the bill.  Unfortunately, while the MMA of 1936 set the US up to meet the challenges of WWII, and we became the predominant maritime nation, it also has led to the later demise of that same industry.  By allowing for construction and operating subsidies paid by the US government for additional costs imposed by flagging in the US, it removed any stimulus in the shipbuilding, ship design, ship machinery design, and ship operation areas to increase productivity and efficiency, since any additional cost was not carried by the shipbuilder or the ship owner.  This is the true reason the US merchant marine has declined, and there are few US flag cruise ships, not the Jones Act or the PVSA.  Those deal with coastwise transportation only, while the MMA of 1936 affected US flag international operations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2