pocket knife

yankeenurse

47 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

A Pocket knife is always a weapon it is also a tool but it still can be a weapon. 

Some people like myself, have carried a pocket knife since 5th or 6th grade. Where I'm from, it's used as a tool, NOT as a weapon. A corkscrew or screw driver, or hammer, etc, etc, etc ad nauseum, can also be used as a weapon. It's allowed on a cruise ship. I used mine almost daily while cruising. It's not as dangerous as you are attempting to make it out to be. Back on topic.....it's allowed, so let's move on please.

• Like 2

Yes, we have brought ours every trip and never had an issue. Just make sure you pack it in your checked luggage to avoid any TSA issues.

Straight from Carnival's site:

Knives, scissors and open razors with blades longer than four inches. (Recreational dive knives are allowed, but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise. Large scissors used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held on board in the same manner as dive knives.)

Edited by tigers04champs

Knives, scissors and open razors with blades longer than four inches. (Recreational dive knives are allowed, but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise. Large scissors used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held on board in the same manner as dive knives.)

That's a quote from https://www.carnival.com/help "what not to bring". 

I keep a small Opinel knife with me at work, and in checked bags when I travel. From cutting oranges to opening to fixing loose strings, I find it super handy. 

• Like 1

Yes, I have carried one on every cruise as I have virtually every day of my life since begin a teenager.  I do bring an off brand swiss army type knife though just in case I run into an ignorant screener.

I put it in my checked luggage if we are flying, if we are driving I simply carry it on along with a copy of Carnival's rules which prove it is allowed.

Edited by ray98

14 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Not sure what port has TSA screeners. We've sailed from nine different terminals and have never encountered TSA. The screeners have all been a private service.

I've never seen TSA at cruise ports only the airport. TSA is not a private service, it's a government entity

23 hours ago, groundloop said:

Maybe a stupid question, but what purpose does a pocket knife serve on a cruise ship?

Hey - you never know what you'll need to do.

To quote my DH "How am I supposed to MacGyver stuff if I can't take my pocket knife?" 😆

• Like 3

22 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Why bring a weapon onto a cruise? All it takes is for someone to get drunk and do something stupid to another passenger. I also don't think they are allowed but hey......

We’re talking about a pocket knife here. They come in handy in all sorts of situations. Opening those darn water bottle packages come to mind.

of course I am a homeschooler and several times in group classes I have taught over the years have asked my students, “Does anyone have a knife?” And at least one always does.  

• Like 1

I carry two pocketknives on a cruise. My EDC, a Benchmade mini-griptillian, and a smaller Case that I carry off when in port.

What do I use them for? Normal stuff, clean my fingernails, cut my flat iron steak, pick my teeth, clean the toilet, and anything else that comes along.

6 hours ago, wms99 said:

I carry two pocketknives on a cruise. My EDC, a Benchmade mini-griptillian, and a smaller Case that I carry off when in port.

What do I use them for? Normal stuff, clean my fingernails, cut my flat iron steak, pick my teeth, clean the toilet, and anything else that comes along.

hopefully you wash it between uses 😉