Muster drill

havanadaydreaming

Headed out on Paradise tomorrow, expecting old school muster drill (outdoors) like one we sailed on Magic this past Sept. 

Ncl and MSC had muster drills indoors in theatre, bars, etc.  

Wonder if carnival will join the indoor wave in the near future? 

(Only reason I care is wife has low metabolism and passed out during carnival muster in San Juan a few years ago, so now we kindly request an indoors drill) 

57 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

Headed out on Paradise tomorrow, expecting old school muster drill (outdoors) like one we sailed on Magic this past Sept. 

Ncl and MSC had muster drills indoors in theatre, bars, etc.  

Wonder if carnival will join the indoor wave in the near future? 

(Only reason I care is wife has low metabolism and passed out during carnival muster in San Juan a few years ago, so now we kindly request an indoors drill) 

The muster stations are set with the Coast Guard and it is not just an option for Carnival to change them as they wish

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cruise-Crazy said:

Some of the Carnival ships do them indoors, depends on the ship and cabin location. If there are special needs let them know and they can accommodate. 

I agree. They can. There's a special needs telephone number on their website somewhere.

On the Dream, we had our muster drill inside. In an internet cafe area. Everyone was sitting down as well, which made it comfortable. 

5 hours ago, Crusin Hogs said:

If you were on the Magic ,It was held inside ,Only the older Carnival ships still have muster outside , The  Dream ,Magic , Breeze ,Vista ,Horizon , Panorama  are all held inside 

Dang it, you're right. 

It was ncl sky.  Sadly, earlier this month. 

I'm losing my mind this time, this time I'm losing my mind....

7 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

The muster stations are set with the Coast Guard and it is not just an option for Carnival to change them as they wish

This is not true, SOLAS sets the regulations of muster drills. The coast guard has nothing to do with muster drills. SOLAS also does not specify where the muster is held, only that it takes place by a certain time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

Dang it, you're right. 

It was ncl sky.  Sadly, earlier this month. 

I'm losing my mind this time, this time I'm losing my mind....

Bonus points for the obscure Beastie Boys reference. 😉

When it comes to outdoor muster drills, it only took one before we learned our lesson. When you go as soon as everyone's called, you end up in the very back against the wall. Then they cram in rows of people in front of you, packed as tightly as they can get them. Muster sucks in hot weather as it is, but it's much worse being in the back. So now we wait a little bit. Not so long that we hold up the process, but just long enough so we're near the front of the pack where it's more comfortable.

11 hours ago, coevan said:

This is not true, SOLAS sets the regulations of muster drills. The coast guard has nothing to do with muster drills. SOLAS also does not specify where the muster is held, only that it takes place by a certain time.

19 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Well, you're both wrong.  The muster stations are set by SOLAS regulation, as set out by the flag state of the ship at the time of building, not the USCG.  The USCG can only inspect a foreign flag ship to ensure that SOLAS requirements are met.  However, SOLAS does specify the requirements for what can constitute a muster station, including location, size, ingress and egress point numbers and sizes, ventilation, fire protection, lighting, etc.  

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, coevan said:

so they tell Carnival if it's held indoors or outdoors? 

They tell Carnival, via the class surveyor at design and building, that it needs to be as close to the boats as possible, and then based on the physical dimensions and other requirements that I outlined above, they determine whether it can be held outdoors (the preferred location), or indoors if there is not sufficient room on deck. It is only the newer ships with smaller promenade decks and larger passenger counts that have gone to indoor musters, because there is not sufficient space on deck.  They don't specify the location of the drill, they specify the location of the muster station, which is where the drill is to be held.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Thanks 1

I had muster station F on Paradise a couple of weeks ago.  I was in the buffet area anyway so managed to find a seat near Guy's so I wouldn't have to stand.  Bad hip these days.  Yes, I realize that you can request a special must area for mobility issues.

On Sunshine at the end of October, it was still muster at the lifeboats.

I did 3 consecutive MSC cruises (last December, this past May and September) and all those were indoors but you had to wear your lifevests.