Oceania - Princess Anyone compare cruise and pricing?

Wishing on a star

I don't mean to open a hot-topic.  but we would be Oceania newbies, and I am just looking for good info.

We have sailed Princess most recently.  And do like a lot about sailing their newer ships, like the Regal.

Love the concept of the Piazza, the adult Retreat Pool,  and always board early and go for the Sanctuary.

I am aware that the food and the specialty dining, if one can get in, would probably be well above Princess.  As well as most of the service.

Anyhow, I wonder if it would be possible at all to book Oceania for anywhere near the price of Princess.

I am looking at an itinerary in Europe, and have a refundable booking, where it is like $5000.00 for the two of us (cruise only) on Princess (Balcony obstructed with no big obstruction). but shows way way more than that for a similar itinerary on Oceania.   Even for a lesser cabin.  I believe that this was a good fare, with some discount from our TA.  And, appears the fares have really increased now.

Is that pricing showing on the Oceania site about what we should expect to pay to sail Oceania?

Or, can anybody offer any advice on booking for less than that?

I would love to try Oceania,  but looks like it might just be above our pay grade!

Edited by Wishing on a star

Princess  you will get more bang for your buck  if that is your criteria

Oceania is in a different league

More is included  but  entertainment may not be  as high as Princess

Cabins may be smaller depending on the ship & cat you book

compare the size of the cabins

All non alcoholic drinks are included on Oceania   not sure  if Princess  have that as well

First/last Princess cruise we paid extra for sodas/bottled water/good coffee/ ice cream

Princess ships  are much larger than Oceania  with the exception of the Pacific Princess  which is an R Ship like Regatta/Insignia/Nautica/Sirena

Only you can decide if it is worth the price

I sail both Oceania and Princess...like both, but they're different and each have their pros and cons. Good itineraries on both. I'm not a foodie so I like the food on both (although Oceania has more "valuable" things all the time such as lobster, other seafood, steaks, berries, etc) and I find service great on both but Oceania seems more personal because there are fewer passengers. 

Cruisefares on O are generally double Princess (not counting sales on either) so that is often a factor for me. Different amenities are included with each line, so you need to be sure to factor that in when comparing. Definitely Oceania's included amenities on the world cruise made it a better value!  I like both of their loyalty programs...I'm Elite on Princess and Platinum on O.

My next cruise is on the Island Princess (medium sized ship) because of a great itinerary...58 days completely circumnavigating South America. Princess' Royal class ships are my favorite but they have too many passengers for my taste.

Maybe you can find a  last minute or sale priced cruise on O and try it for yourself. ☺️

To get better responses I suggest you provide:

• The length of the cruise
  • The Oceania ship you would be considering
  • The itinerary in which you are interested
  • The attributes most important to you

We have cruised the "mass market lines" and since trying Oceania we haven't looked back (other than the occasional "blow out" special on HAL). We just completed our 10th cruise on O.

On Oceania the entire ship is a "retreat." Very few, if any, kids, limited announcements, no photographers, no up-selling/pressure to buy anything, no crowds, no "buckets of beer". You are guaranteed to get into the specialty restaurants and may get additional reservations on a space available basis.

The food is very good, the service and beds are wonderful, the ships are well maintained and "intimate." The current fleet has two O-class ships (less than 1,300 passengers) and 4 R-class ships (less than 700 passengers).

The passenger make-up tends to be well traveled, well educated, and professional.

We sailed on both, and liked both - but it's like comparing Honda and Mercedes. In terms of value for money, Honda (Princess) is probably a better value, but they are in a different league.

If you are willing to be in inside cabin, you can find some very reasonable rates on Oceania. Will be still more expensive than Princess, but there are also more things included.

• Like 2

Thanks!

Go-Bucks, sounds like you are the right person to help out!

Okay,  on 'O', I am looking at two 7 day itineraries that might come closer in fare to the Enchanted Princess 10 day.  For closer to the same price.  This is moving out from Fall 2020 to Spring or late Summer 2021.  

Might consider OV,  but could just not do an Inside.

These are on either the Riviera (major renovation), or the Marina. (To get major renovations???)

This is Europe.  We would like to focus on Italy and Greece.  

On the shorter itinerary on 'O' we would get all of the major destinations I would love to see.  Including Naples/Amafi, Messini, Santorini, Ephesus.  

On the longer itinerary on Princess, I would visit historic Dubrovnic and sailing into Kotor.  But miss Messini and Ephesus, which are on 'O'.

While we have enjoyed the Princess Royal Class.  And our last cruise was great!!!  Including the Princess Entertainment.  I do think that we might be ready to go for a quieter more refined cruise, Especially while in the Mediterranean.  On our last cruise, we tried to spend more time to ourselves, The Sanctuary, dining at off times, etc.   Saw two amazing entertainment presentations...  But, that isn't probably the biggest priority at this point.

We did the Panama Canal a year ago on the Coral Princess.  Got a great rate as we are retired airline staff.  Ship was beautiful, met a great couple to dine with, but found the ambiance to be lacking.  Too many @wacky pool games@ by the CD, and aggressive up sells everywhere.  We are veterans of mostly Cunard, plus Azamara, HAL, and Regent.  Looking forward to a more refined experience on our B2Bs in February on the Riveria.  Hopefully no sale on buckets of beer at the pool at 0830 in the morning.  Great rates on O this winter, equivalent to our Princess rate on a balcony when you figure everything in. 

O provides a very classy and comfortable ambiance with almost zero crowding. Food is wonderful and service is very good. Biggest downside is lack of much entertainment in the evenings and heavy cost for things not included such as alcohol and tours. The costs can be mitigated somewhat by smart purchasing of "O life" package which allow either included alcohol and/or tours at a discounted rate. Best to find a travel agent experienced in selling Oceania to guide you through the fare structure and help find a good itinerary and best pricing.

• Like 2

I have sailed on both Princess and Oceania, most recently on the Coral Princess in Alaska last June. I am currently booked on 10 night Marina June 26,2020 Copenhagen to Stockholm. Counting the beginning and end ports there are 10 ports, no sea days. I looked at a similar sailing on 11 night Sky Princess June 19, RT Copenhagen with 7 ports incl CPH and 3 sea days. I compared insides as all sailing on these Baltic itineraries is done at night so no need for a window. The cost per day on O is $340pp. The cost per day on Princess is $183pp.

I decided to go with O for more ports, more included items, no sea days, smaller ship, different start and end ports to spend time before and after the cruise in Copenhagen and Stockholm. I know the food will be better on O,  I won't have to buy a coffee card to get decent coffee, I have $400 OBC from my TA.  I booked cruise only and got my air from award miles.

I like Princess for some sailings, but for Europe a smaller ship is preferable. 

Okay,  we are really seriously looking at the 7-day European, that is just a bit more than the longer itinerary on Princess.  It sounds really great!  

This would be on the Marina. (unless I find out that the two lessor ports on the Riviera, at the end of August, are better.  Two small unheard of ports, like Glythion on the Marina In the Spring.

I am assuming that the Marina will be totally re-done, and will be as nice, if not nicer, than the Riviera.

I think I will do more research and find out which of the smaller ports on the itineraries would be best.

I also will do more research on which category to book.

Would you guys do a guarantee on a Deluxe OV on these shops?

Or, are their drawbacks other than the fact that there is no balcony.  Assuming there is no opening of the glass at all.

On Deck 7, it is likely to become so covered in salt-spray and grime that you can't see thru much????

I would be afraid that, as a guarantee, we would get one of the two cabins with an adjoining door.  Def. would prefer not.

the 'O' airfare is the next step to figure out!!!

This would be a total of about $7,500. with the 'O' airfare and the premium/comfort upgrade.

I notice that it looks like there is availability of a verandah cabins on Deck 7, at the back of the ship, that might have much deeper balconies.  Is that the case?  Would it be good to choose one of those?  Or perhaps not?

Thanks everyone!!!

Yes,  a lot of thinking out loud!!!

I suppose the two questions would be

1.  Would you do a guarantee Deluxe OV?? (small number of them, on Deck 7)

2.  If moving up to a veranda, do the ones at the rear of Deck 7 have much deeper balconies?  Would they be worth consideration.  I usually do not prefer to be Aft on a ship, feeling the engine vibration.

At the risk of generalisation, from reading these boards (and ourselves included), a working majority of pax take the reduction in price and book their own air. Not just on O, but on many lines.

Whether or not you're using FF points, it's just too easy to use Matrix or Google Flights, see the routing you want, and book it, rather than leave oneself up to the whims of the cruise companies. 

We always do our own air.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Yes,  a lot of thinking out loud!!!

I suppose the two questions would be

1.  Would you do a guarantee Deluxe OV?? (small number of them, on Deck 7)

2.  If moving up to a veranda, do the ones at the rear of Deck 7 have much deeper balconies?  Would they be worth consideration.  I usually do not prefer to be Aft on a ship, feeling the engine vibration.

1) I prefer to book a specific cabin   the whole thing about the GTY is you never know where you will end up

2)yes deeper balconies  but yes to the vibration

also consider the B3's  on the side with deeper balconies   look at the deck plans & where the ship widens out they are the deeper  balconies  but you are overlooked

image.thumb.png.b96867e8811398470bcedb7f07b0f944.png

You can see some photos of  the C cabin on Riviera

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/deluxe-ocean-view-stateroom-311058/

On 12/26/2019 at 10:15 AM, Wishing on a star said:

I don't mean to open a hot-topic.  but we would be Oceania newbies, and I am just looking for good info.

We have sailed Princess most recently.  And do like a lot about sailing their newer ships, like the Regal.

Love the concept of the Piazza, the adult Retreat Pool,  and always board early and go for the Sanctuary.

I am aware that the food and the specialty dining, if one can get in, would probably be well above Princess.  As well as most of the service.

Anyhow, I wonder if it would be possible at all to book Oceania for anywhere near the price of Princess.

I am looking at an itinerary in Europe, and have a refundable booking, where it is like $5000.00 for the two of us (cruise only) on Princess (Balcony obstructed with no big obstruction). but shows way way more than that for a similar itinerary on Oceania.   Even for a lesser cabin.  I believe that this was a good fare, with some discount from our TA.  And, appears the fares have really increased now.

Is that pricing showing on the Oceania site about what we should expect to pay to sail Oceania?

Or, can anybody offer any advice on booking for less than that?

I would love to try Oceania,  but looks like it might just be above our pay grade!

It wold be nice too.....   but the reality is you get what you pay for..      You can  always   search cruises   and have your agent give rebates  etc  and go for a inside cabin, but  it is reality   

O has maybe 1/4  the passengers and  almost everything is included.     Princess fare of $5000 is just the $tarting point and they  will be charging you for all $orts of things that O provides  in their fare !       You need to look at  a "TOTAL COST. at cruise end...... What  you will end up paying Princess. !!!..  It might surprise  you !   it is an eye-opener

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Princess fare of $5000 is just the $tarting point and they  will be charging you for all $orts of things that O provides  in their fare !       You need to look at  a "TOTAL COST. at cruise end...... What  you will end up paying Princess. !!!..  It might surprise  you !   it is an eye-opener

This can be true, but not true 100% of the time. Also depends on what amenities are nice (but not absolutely necessary) and which are dealbreakers. I find that sometimes O wins and other times Princess wins. O won hands-down on my world cruise but not for other cruises.

Another issue can be itineraries...I tried to find one on O that matched my next cruise itinerary but they didn't have any. And this itinerary is exactly what I wanted. 

This is all true.  We are not big drinkers, so pay for drinks as we go.  But on Princess, you have to pay for coffee, sodas, etc.  We like to book the Sanctuary too, as that is extra.  We might do Crown Grill, which is extra.  But not interested in doing Sabatini's again.  It all adds up.

With a few perks, like gratuities, thrown in, a cruise only fare on Oceania would be a more all-inclusive cruise!

I think I am figuring out that I don't want to deal with the hassle and expense of arranging the 'free' airfare thru Oceania, and getting the flights we want.  On Princess, that can really work well.

So book your own air which is what many of us do ... On the few occasions when we DID use Oceania's air, there was no hassle.

However, it looks like you are in the southeast which could mean you aren't near a gateway airport whereas we are in NYC so we have options that many people do not.  But especially since we decided we couldn't deal with coach air anymore, it became rather necessary to book our own.  Trying to opt for biz air (or even worse, first class) with Oceania is NOT advisable.

Mura

21 Princess cruises. Trying Oceania Regatta this spring (Papeete to SF) so this thread interests me. BUT, as far as the Mediterranean goes, our MSC cruise in Yacht Club was so good two years ago, we booked the identical itinerary this past fall. Spectacular experience. 

9 hours ago, muggo11 said:

21 Princess cruises. Trying Oceania Regatta this spring (Papeete to SF) so this thread interests me. BUT, as far as the Mediterranean goes, our MSC cruise in Yacht Club was so good two years ago, we booked the identical itinerary this past fall. Spectacular experience. 

I have to think that it was the Mediterranean which dazzled you, not the Cruise Line.

The Yacht Club (ship within a ship)  on Meraviglia and Bellissima were cruise perfection. We loved the service, the food and the Cirque shows. With liquor ship-wide included, it was a good value for the week as well. I have heard mixed reviews of MSC but our experiences were pretty perfect. 

5 minutes ago, muggo11 said:

The Yacht Club (ship within a ship)  on Meraviglia and Bellissima were cruise perfection. We loved the service, the food and the Cirque shows. With liquor ship-wide included, it was a good value for the week as well. I have heard mixed reviews of MSC but our experiences were pretty perfect. 

How was your experience outside the Yacht Club or did you not venture outside of it?