Bottomless Bubbles? Is it worth the cost?

memecakes

Now that Pepsi is the brand of soda on the ships I am thinking of getting a soda card. I have always carried on my drinks on past cruises. I only drink a couple of Dt. Dews a day though.  How much is it to pay for one soda? Trying to figure out the best way to go. Thanks

For a 7 day cruise, it's $60 for an adult.That's $120 for 2 adults on a 7 day cruise. $120. Or, you could pay around $5 for 2 12pks (for 2 adults) and carry them on yourself, which would be a savings of $115 for the mild inconvenience of putting drinks on top of your suitcase and carrying them on. If you run out, buy more in ports. 

Edited by teknoge3k
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, memecakes said:

Now that Pepsi is the brand of soda on the ships I am thinking of getting a soda card. I have always carried on my drinks on past cruises. I only drink a couple of Dt. Dews a day though.  How much is it to pay for one soda? Trying to figure out the best way to go. Thanks

I saw a post earlier that someone's cruise didn't have Diet Dew.  If that is the only thing covered by Bubbles you drink then I would not get it.  Full disclosure: I typically enjoy a 16.9 oz bottle per day (not a coffee drinker), but for cruises I take energy drink powder mixes (like Crystal Lite) and make do for the week.

I do find it interesting how if the question is soft drink the answer is typically to carry your own, while if it is Cheers there is usually more support for purchasing to avoid the dreaded "surprise" bill even if it costs several hundred more than they would spend otherwise.  There is a value for the convenience of not lugging on (or ordering for the cabin) and I suspect someone who drinks 2-3 soft drinks per day would drink 2-3 every day versus alcohol where you may or may not feel like drinking.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.  I might pre-order for room delivery if you don't want to carry-on.  I think it's $10 per 6 pack, but you would get the whole can versus possibly a partial flat can.  It will probably cost you less to order as you go, but not ridiculous to get the package in your case.

42 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

For a 7 day cruise, it's $60 for an adult.That's $120 for 2 adults on a 7 day cruise. $120. Or, you could pay around $5 for 2 12pks (for 2 adults) and carry them on yourself, which would be a savings of $115 for the mild inconvenience of putting drinks on top of your suitcase and carrying them on. If you run out, buy more in ports. 

Pretty much this. Does that value work for you? How much would you spend a la carte? How many do you plan on drinking? Only you can make this choice.

2 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

You need about 3 per day to break even.

That would barely get me to lunch.  I more than get my monies worth.  Of course store bought sodas are much cheaper but if you are comparing to the ship's price of $5 a pop for an individual soda I make out like a bandit.

I carry my own insulated plastic drink container that will take a full can plus ice.  The bartenders very early on recognize me and don't even have to look at my card anymore.  I prefer the fountain gun cuz the precious fizzy liquid served there is already cold and doesn't speed melt the ice.  At meals the waiter will leave the can to save a trip and I pretty much always ask for a second.  Any show or entertainment event is accompanied by a beverage.  Since the rule of cruising is you have to eat every 2 hours, you also will need refreshment.

As other have implied,  'What kind of a drinking problem do you have?'

P.S.  I also happen to know where all the bathrooms are if you're wondering.

Edited by Mavrick_RN

Depends n what you consider the value to be for you. 

I generally will bring a 12pk on board with me and that’s more than enough as I just don’t want to spend that much on the bubbles package. 

my 2 friends always get bubbles because they love the convenience. Plus they pack the kitchen sink so really aren’t wanting to carry anything else. 

• Like 1

For us, we don't want the hassle of carrying any 12 packs on, plus we don't usually make the time to get to a store (no car when we come). I make sure I get my moneys worth too, so when a soda gets warm or watered down, I go get another one. I wish I had a cruise scheduled too, because I'm totally a Pepsi girl! LOL! So I would really get good use of it.

• Like 1

My husband always gets the Bubbles drink plan.  He likes being able to get a soda whenever he wants one.  Sometimes he orders them during the comedy shows too.  I like the lido tea, so I mostly drink that and don't get the plan.  We also order two six packs from Carnival's website to be delivered to our room.  We could carry it on ourselves, but we don't want to deal with it.  We pay for the convenience and are fine with it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

My husband always gets the Bubbles drink plan.  He likes being able to get a soda whenever he wants one.  Sometimes he orders them during the comedy shows too.  I like the lido tea, so I mostly drink that and don't get the plan.  We also order two six packs from Carnival's website to be delivered to our room.  We could carry it on ourselves, but we don't want to deal with it.  We pay for the convenience and are fine with it.

We don't get the plan and probably wouldn't, but I did want to confirm what you posted: if one in the cabin gets Bubbles all don't need Bubbles (or higher).  I know with Cheers all must purchase, I didn't realize the requirement wasn't there for Bubbles.  That sounds like a nice option if only one is a heavy soft drink consumer.

• Like 1

I think if I were driving to the port, I'd throw in a 12 pack of soda to save the money, but for my next cruise I am flying from east coast to west coast, so with a night flight, huge time change, fatigue and not having a car to get to a store or to the pier, I'm going to go with a drink package.   Plus I'm a Pepsi drinker so the change is good news for me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

If only the bottomless bubbles package included coffee. But that's a stretch.

PLEASE CARNIVAL, if you're reading this!!!   Come out with a non-alcoholic package that includes stuff other than soft drinks!!!  My family prefers the Carnival vibe, but I love the RCCL non-alcoholic package.   Both me and my teenaged daughter don't drink a lot of pop, but bring on the sparkling water, cappuccinos, fraps!  My daily rant/plea done, thanks....

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

We don't get the plan and probably wouldn't, but I did want to confirm what you posted: if one in the cabin gets Bubbles all don't need Bubbles (or higher).  I know with Cheers all must purchase, I didn't realize the requirement wasn't there for Bubbles.  That sounds like a nice option if only one is a heavy soft drink consumer.

That is true.  There is no requirement for all to purchase BB.  If only one person is a soda drinker, only one package can be purchased.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mavrick_RN said:

That would barely get me to lunch.  I more than get my monies worth.  Of course store bought sodas are much cheaper but if you are comparing to the ship's price of $5 a pop for an individual soda I make out like a bandit.

I carry my own insulated plastic drink container that will take a full can plus ice.  The bartenders very early on recognize me and don't even have to look at my card anymore.  I prefer the fountain gun cuz the precious fizzy liquid served there is already cold and doesn't speed melt the ice.  At meals the waiter will leave the can to save a trip and I pretty much always ask for a second.  Any show or entertainment event is accompanied by a beverage.  Since the rule of cruising is you have to eat every 2 hours, you also will need refreshment.

As other have implied,  'What kind of a drinking problem do you have?'

P.S.  I also happen to know where all the bathrooms are if you're wondering.

Sodas are not $5 each. They're less than $3 after gratuity. Still expensive but not as bad as you're thinking.

• Like 1

A tip for all of the mentions of "lugging" sodas, we've always packed ours in a suitcase (when we decided to bring some) and it was never an issue with space, weight, or damage. Obviously, you cannot do this in a carry-on on a plane and must take it out unless you are carrying it on the ship, but it is an option. If I could save $100 by placing soda in my suitcase, I believe it is worth at least considering. I know the whole "you spent this much, so what's another $100" seems to usually come up. I'd rather save $100 here and $100 here if possible. It adds up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rnr4thatsme said:

PLEASE CARNIVAL, if you're reading this!!!   Come out with a non-alcoholic package that includes stuff other than soft drinks!!!  My family prefers the Carnival vibe, but I love the RCCL non-alcoholic package.   Both me and my teenaged daughter don't drink a lot of pop, but bring on the sparkling water, cappuccinos, fraps!  My daily rant/plea done, thanks....

I'm sure they have thought of this and I suspect while many people want that option they wouldn't want the price tag that would go with it - which I'm guessing would be about 1/2 the cost of Cheers.  I also think if they offered unlimited non-alcoholic of (almost*) all types it would switch the requirement that all in the cabin had to purchase that package, like Royal does.

*Even Cheers doesn't cover fresh squeezed juices or the new Naked bottled drinks.

It is not for me.  I am a heavy soda drinker but have been very disappointed with the bb program.  They are pouring hot cans of soda over a cup of ice, instantly watering them down and flattening them.  I bring my Yeti and it already has ice in it but even the best insulated cup can't perform miracles against a soda can that has been sitting out on the lido deck all day.  Yes, you can go down to the main deck lobby and get a fountain soda, and I Have when I have the bb program, but then if I am trekking across the ship to get a decent soda I really may as well just go half the distance and get a cold can of soda from my room.  There are 3 of us who travel so we bring on 3 cases.  2 for me and 1 for the other two to share.  Then we supplement with coffees, juice, koolaid, water, etc.  In port, if we are running low we will grab another case or two.  

Yes, same for me. 

It wasn't about value.... it was about how bad the soda is on board. Getting a hot soda poured over ice, instantly the ice is gone and you've got a watered down soda that's not all that cold. Even worse is getting the bottom half a can that's been sitting open since the last person ordered. 

And then there's the looks you get from the bartenders. Order one soda on the bubbles program and you'll never see them again. Ordering in the MDR is usually a hassle. I'd rather just bring a couple from my room. 

I'm fine paying $120 for a week's worth of soda... but not when it's terrible and a hassle to order. 

14 hours ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Sparking water is included in BB

• Thanks 1