Dr. Weil Partnership with Seabourn and wellness

ael123

I just came off of a 7 night cruise on Odyssey and have a 38 night cruise on Sojourn leaving in 62 days. I was very excited to read about Dr. Andrew Weil's partnership with Seabourn. Dr. Weil has written books on health and wellness. Most of his work centers around eating to avoid disease and he has a lot written about his food pyramid diet. Much to my chagrin on Odyssey I did not see any sign of Dr. Weil's health suggestions being incorporated in Seabourn's dining program. When I asked my waiter for fresh green juice (apple, lemon, kale, and cucumber at lunch and at dinner I was told that was a special order that would need to be requested a head of time. I saw these items incorporated in other dishes on board; so they had the ingredients but getting someone like a bartender put the ingredients in a blender to make the juice was a problem. I am not a vegetarian but was trying to get a vegetable forward plate. I looked at the menu and requested vegetables as a side that were listed as accompaniments. For example one menu item came with Brussels sprouts so I asked for a side of Brussels sprouts. When the waiter came out with the food he informed me they did not have any Brussels sprouts despite they were on another guests plate as part of the entree. The waiter brought me a side of mixed vegetables which were frozen cauliflower, carrots and broccoli.  My choice would be to have fresh vegetables not the frozen mix I was given. When there were green beans on the menu as an accompaniment I got 6 green beans on my plate. A waiter supervisor in Colonnade Danjiel told me that special orders needed to be requested ahead of time so I have emailed guest services at Seabourn to make my request known before my next cruise.  When I inquired about the Dr. Weill partnership I was told that this is with the spa only. Not the dining room. Has anyone on Seabourn's other ships seen signs of Dr. Weil's healthy living recommendations regarding diet being offered as a choice at any of the restaurants? In some aspects I am feeling a bit mislead but it may have been my fault for expecting to see his wellness program integrated into the menu in the restaurants. I guess I will see how my request is received by the staff on Sojourn for my upcoming cruise.

"In some aspects I am feeling a bit mislead but it may have been my fault for expecting to see his wellness program integrated into the menu in the restaurants"

On Seabourn website if you go to "Life on Board" and click on "Spa & Wellness" the relationship is described quite specifically. How you arrive at food services included from that description is perplexing.

If you have dietary requirements Seabourn says it is always best to advise in advance so they can try to accommodate.

Exactly!

Fresh vegetables on a ship would be rare.   24 hour notice to prepare special items.  If they have the ingredients,  you will get it with proper notice.   If you want freshly squeezed orange juice, bring your own squeezer and have oranges delivered to your room.   But I'm guessing  your great Dr. Weill would not approve of OJ.

Anyway, you'll be set for your upcoming cruise.

11 hours ago, ael123 said:

I just came off of a 7 night cruise on Odyssey and have a 38 night cruise on Sojourn leaving in 62 days. I was very excited to read about Dr. Andrew Weil's partnership with Seabourn. Dr. Weil has written books on health and wellness. Most of his work centers around eating to avoid disease and he has a lot written about his food pyramid diet. Much to my chagrin on Odyssey I did not see any sign of Dr. Weil's health suggestions being incorporated in Seabourn's dining program. When I asked my waiter for fresh green juice (apple, lemon, kale, and cucumber at lunch and at dinner I was told that was a special order that would need to be requested a head of time. I saw these items incorporated in other dishes on board; so they had the ingredients but getting someone like a bartender put the ingredients in a blender to make the juice was a problem. I am not a vegetarian but was trying to get a vegetable forward plate. I looked at the menu and requested vegetables as a side that were listed as accompaniments. For example one menu item came with Brussels sprouts so I asked for a side of Brussels sprouts. When the waiter came out with the food he informed me they did not have any Brussels sprouts despite they were on another guests plate as part of the entree. The waiter brought me a side of mixed vegetables which were frozen cauliflower, carrots and broccoli.  My choice would be to have fresh vegetables not the frozen mix I was given. When there were green beans on the menu as an accompaniment I got 6 green beans on my plate. A waiter supervisor in Colonnade Danjiel told me that special orders needed to be requested ahead of time so I have emailed guest services at Seabourn to make my request known before my next cruise.  When I inquired about the Dr. Weill partnership I was told that this is with the spa only. Not the dining room. Has anyone on Seabourn's other ships seen signs of Dr. Weil's healthy living recommendations regarding diet being offered as a choice at any of the restaurants? In some aspects I am feeling a bit mislead but it may have been my fault for expecting to see his wellness program integrated into the menu in the restaurants. I guess I will see how my request is received by the staff on Sojourn for my upcoming cruise.

Dr Weil was on a recent cruise from Athens to Dubai.    There were guest speakers which were part of his team.  Presentations were made most days.  He did make several presentations.   I did not learn anything new just reenforcement. 
there was a section in the breakfast area with his recommendations.   In addition the patio had a De Weil inspired lunch item.   Usually fish very good.  
I believe some off the other menu items are Dr. Weil inspired.   

3 hours ago, cruising46 said:

Dr Weil was on a recent cruise from Athens to Dubai.    There were guest speakers which were part of his team.  Presentations were made most days.  He did make several presentations.   I did not learn anything new just reenforcement. 
there was a section in the breakfast area with his recommendations.   In addition the patio had a De Weil inspired lunch item.   Usually fish very good.  
I believe some off the other menu items are Dr. Weil inspired.   

Thank you for this detail. We are booked on the NZ/Australia "Wellness Cruise" next month.  I wondered if he was on board, giving talks himself on the special Wellness Cruises, or had an influence on menu specials. All sounds good to me.  https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/specialty-cruises/wellness.html  

3 hours ago, Janet987 said:

Dr Weil was on a recent cruise from Athens to Dubai.  

On our last cruise one couple (non-native English speakers) thought from all the promotions that Dr. Weil was on ALL the cruises.  If you don't know who he is, easy to think that from some of the advertising (and yes, we all had a good laugh about it!). 

12 hours ago, johng75370 said:

On our last cruise one couple (non-native English speakers) thought from all the promotions that Dr. Weil was on ALL the cruises.

If he’s mastered not only the art of longevity but also replication, then I definitely need to reread his books!  😂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, johng75370 said:

On our last cruise one couple (non-native English speakers) thought from all the promotions that Dr. Weil was on ALL the cruises.  If you don't know who he is, easy to think that from some of the advertising (and yes, we all had a good laugh about it!). 

It is not just "non-native English speakers".  The on board literature and notices say "with", not "by", Dr. Weil.  We often go to the spa and ask to see him, since they claim he is "with us". 😜

• Like 1

I am chuckling a bit about all of this.  I see Dr. Weil as a typical  "wellness" entrepreneur who seeks out every way to make money on his "wellness advice".  It's probably all about the licensing and money for him at this point.  No wonder he is also shameless at eating unhealthy food in front of everyone.  He doesn't care.  The money is in the bank.  I'm not usually this cynical but the "wellness sector" brings it out in me.  I'm all for eating healthy.  Most of us are quite well educated and can easily figure out that path on our own without the help of this man.  I too would avoid any cruise that he is personally present on.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I am chuckling a bit about all of this.  I see Dr. Weil as a typical  "wellness" entrepreneur who seeks out every way to make money on his "wellness advice".  It's probably all about the licensing and money for him at this point.  No wonder he is also shameless at eating unhealthy food in front of everyone.  He doesn't care.  The money is in the bank.  I'm not usually this cynical but the "wellness sector" brings it out in me.  I'm all for eating healthy.  Most of us are quite well educated and can easily figure out that path on our own without the help of this man.  I too would avoid any cruise that he is personally present on.  

While you're chucking and chortling, I'd like to enlighten you a bit. I've known Dr. Weil for a number of years.  I've read his books and listened to his ideas.  Many are far out and not to my liking. I take the same supplements that he does and don't subscribe to his touchy-feely program. I don't characterize him as a   "wellness entrepreneur."  He's not a snake oil salesman. He fills a gap in our quest to be health conscious. I had the pleasure of being on a SB cruise Athens-Dubai a few months ago. His first lectures were poorly attended.  Then, as word got around the ship, more and more attended. To each his/her own. I just want to stress that I seriously doubt that he cannot be characterized  as wanting to make money on his wellness advice.

6 minutes ago, cuddles115 said:

While you're chucking and chortling, I'd like to enlighten you a bit. I've known Dr. Weil for a number of years.  I've read his books and listened to his ideas.  Many are far out and not to my liking. I take the same supplements that he does and don't subscribe to his touchy-feely program. I don't characterize him as a   "wellness entrepreneur."  He's not a snake oil salesman. He fills a gap in our quest to be health conscious. I had the pleasure of being on a SB cruise Athens-Dubai a few months ago. His first lectures were poorly attended.  Then, as word got around the ship, more and more attended. To each his/her own. I just want to stress that I seriously doubt that he cannot be characterized  as wanting to make money on his wellness advice.

Fortunately, there is someone for everyone when it comes to staying healthy.  Like I said above, I am not usually so cynical, but I've read that he really didn't exemplify his own teaching while aboard ship.  I do look askance at those, who like Weil, license themselves in every way possible.  You certainly could be right about him---I hope so, since SB seems to be putting stock in his advice.   (And I want to make another disclaimer here--my mother is totally obsessed with wellness to the point of being obnoxious and Weil is someone she follows.  I have had it up to my eyeballs as wellness is all she ever talks about.  I take vacations to get away from the constant talk of it.  That being said, I do my best to maintain a healthy diet on SB.) 

Edited by SLSD

53 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Fortunately, there is someone for everyone when it comes to staying healthy.  Like I said above, I am not usually so cynical, but I've read that he really didn't exemplify his own teaching while aboard ship.  I do look askance at those, who like Weil, license themselves in every way possible.  You certainly could be right about him---I hope so, since SB seems to be putting stock in his advice.   (And I want to make another disclaimer here--my mother is totally obsessed with wellness to the point of being obnoxious and Weil is someone she follows.  I have had it up to my eyeballs as wellness is all she ever talks about.  I take vacations to get away from the constant talk of it.  That being said, I do my best to maintain a healthy diet on SB.) 

To paraphrase the Peugot ad...60 million Frenchmen, including your mother, can't be wrong. I would think that SB did their due diligence, including Thomas Keller, more than once. I know of 3 times Dr. Weil vetoed a suggestion that he place his endorsement on a sham wellness product. I'm not saying that he's the reincarnation of Mother Theresa, but he certainly believes in his ideas without associated entrepreneurial dollar signs.

2 hours ago, cuddles115 said:

To paraphrase the Peugot ad...60 million Frenchmen, including your mother, can't be wrong. I would think that SB did their due diligence, including Thomas Keller, more than once. I know of 3 times Dr. Weil vetoed a suggestion that he place his endorsement on a sham wellness product. I'm not saying that he's the reincarnation of Mother Theresa, but he certainly believes in his ideas without associated entrepreneurial dollar signs.

While he may not have endorsed sham products which were suggested to him, I doubt that he doesn't consider $$$ when making his business plans.  We can agree to disagree on this one.  I just plan to avoid the itineraries where he is present.  

13 minutes ago, SLSD said:

While he may not have endorsed sham products which were suggested to him, I doubt that he doesn't consider $$$ when making his business plans.  We can agree to disagree on this one.  I just plan to avoid the itineraries where he is present.  

HAPPY SAILING

19 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I must admit having been on Dr Weil's first sailing on Encore I don't actually subscribe to his philosophy and he is a businessman and I did feel he was motivated by book sales and promoting his product. I exercise regularly and eat mainly fish/seafood  and vegetables while I agree with meditation I am definitely not into his sound therapy...I prefer quiet.

I won't avoid sailings Dr Weil is on I just avoid his product and hope Seabourn aren't tempted to go all out with his menus etc...we have enough of that with TK. There are many sensible Spa type foods without needing to push Dr Weil as well.

Just My Opinion...

Julie

• Like 1

No offence intended to the believers but I agree with the voices of reason (aka SLSD & frantic36). This is becoming a humorous thread.

For me, as soon as a professional be it doctor, scientist, lawyer, rocket scientist joins the “celebrity” list they become all about the money and go on my ignore list. If you wiki Weil, celebrity is the descriptor.

I would even be happy if Seabourn would leave Keller to the TK Grill and get rid of the Keller inspired dishes in the Colonnade and MDR. His fried chicken is by far the worst I’ve ever had (subjective) and that includes the effort served up at Ad Hoc, but I digress. The Seabourn Exec Chefs I’ve met (and you can actually talk to them) have been just as inspiring and competent in their craft.

I to hope they leave the food and beverage services alone. Maybe Weil could open a whatever it is he drinks bar in the Serene Area. Me I’m happy when I get a stick of celery in my double bloody Caesar!

JMO also!

I have to concur. When I saw the display with the food doctor’s photo at the entrance to the Spa, I judged that this was mainly marketing hype- which it is. Apart from a brochure about wellness that I enjoyed as it was well written. That’s enough about the good doctor for me; I already know how to eat sensibly and exercise, and nothing about him makes me enthusiastic to jump on the bandwagon.

FWIW, there are no TK inspired plates any longer in the MDR, and the chefs now have their own “dish of the day” on offer at dinner.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markham said:

I have to concur. When I saw the display with the food doctor’s photo at the entrance to the Spa, I judged that this was mainly marketing hype- which it is.

Deface or take it down goes through my mind when seeing it.   Passing this multi times a day when in a spa suite is rough on the eyes.

Edited by saminina

On 1/23/2020 at 7:19 AM, SLSD said:

Having witnessed Dr. Weil’s eating habits first hand on Seabourn and having seen him so intoxicated that he was barely able to stand on his own feet - I’m totally with you.  I can’t comment about his teachings but he surely doesn’t practice was he preaches! 

So the big guy with the beard eats and drinks too much? And on Seabourn which touts his brand of healthy living? What a hoot! It would appear that another overhyped entertainer of sorts has been revealed for who he really is and without his makeup and props. Not the first and won’t be the last.

But if you’re interested, do read the Wellness brochure. It’s well written. Over to you.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I have also witnessed dr Weils eating habits, and can assure everyone that on a "dr Weil Wellness Cruise"....all the food in the Colonnade that has a label saying "Recommended by dr Weil"   will be given a very wide berth by said doc....and he will fill his plate with EVERYTHING else! He is also the worst dressed person on the entire ship...."slob" is a word that comes to mind. I was also "told" that when he was staying in a SPA Suite, he would have the Spa Crew say good morning to him as he came down those stairs....and he never acknowledged them....the Spa does now have his name on it.....but he cant return the staffs greetings.....maybe he is deaf?? or is he just rude?