Credit Card trip calculation coverage

VitaminSea53

I was just checking with my various credit cards to find out which ones have trip cancellation coverage before final payment on my cruise. It seems that most of them have gotten rid of or greatly reduced this feature. One credit card representative explained that if you cancel a cruise then they would cover it under the  purchase protection clause.  She explained it would be like you hired a florist for your wedding and paid upfront then cancelled the wedding. The credit card company would fight to get your money back. Has anybody heard of this?  I am not planning on cancelling my cruise but want to know my options just in case. 

8 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I was just checking with my various credit cards to find out which ones have trip cancellation coverage before final payment on my cruise. It seems that most of them have gotten rid of or greatly reduced this feature. One credit card representative explained that if you cancel a cruise then they would cover it under the  purchase protection clause.  She explained it would be like you hired a florist for your wedding and paid upfront then cancelled the wedding. The credit card company would fight to get your money back. Has anybody heard of this?  I am not planning on cancelling my cruise but want to know my options just in case. 

I have a Canadian Visa that I book my cruises and flights on that covers me for trip cancellation.  Two years ago I was taking grandson on a cruise and broke ankle prior.  Collected every penny back for both of us,  air, pre cruise hotel and cruise.  I did not deal with visa just the insurance carrier associated with my card.

26 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

My cards don't really cover cancellation insurance.  I do purchase mine from AmEx.

Chase Sapphire Reserve covers if your trip is cancelled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per person and $20,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels. The card is not cheap 450.00 per year but you get a 300.00 travel credit so the real cost is 150.00 per year.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

One credit card representative explained that if you cancel a cruise then they would cover it under the  purchase protection clause.  She explained it would be like you hired a florist for your wedding and paid upfront then cancelled the wedding. The credit card company would fight to get your money back.

"Fight to get your money back" isn't very reassuring. You should either be covered or not covered under the terms of the policy. While I have coverage with the card that I use to book travel, it really doesn't cover every eventuality, so I've subscribed to an annual plan for some years that provides excellent coverage.

17 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

"Fight to get your money back" isn't very reassuring. You should either be covered or not covered under the terms of the policy. While I have coverage with the card that I use to book travel, it really doesn't cover every eventuality, so I've subscribed to an annual plan for some years that provides excellent coverage.

I use a Canadian Visa card....changed my NR cruise ship/date and paid $200 penalty.  I wonder if that penalty is recoverable from Visa on the Infinite Travel card insurance??

17 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Fight to get your money back" isn't very reassuring.

Agree. It's pretty black and white with credit card companies. With mine the entire trip has to be paid on the card and I've never dealt with visa just the insurance provider.

2 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

I use a Canadian Visa card....changed my NR cruise ship/date and paid $200 penalty.  I wonder if that penalty is recoverable from Visa on the Infinite Travel card insurance??

I also have the first class Visa from TD and NO the penalty would not be covered. 

Just now, drakes2 said:

I also have the first class Visa from TD and NO the penalty would not be covered. 

Thanks....that's why I didn't even try to call Visa....I thought if it's self inflicted it's not covered....but no harm asking anyone who may have been in the same position and actually 'had the word' from Visa first-hand.

39 minutes ago, kimberlydrzymala said:

Chase Sapphire Reserve covers if your trip is cancelled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per person and $20,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels. The card is not cheap 450.00 per year but you get a 300.00 travel credit so the real cost is 150.00 per year.

Unfortunately they have raised their annual fee to $550 which is pretty steep even with the $300 travel credit. 

2 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Why did you make the change? If you did it for any of the reasons insured by your policy, then it might well be. Get in touch with the insurance administrator to make the determination.

On the other hand, if you simply made the change because you decided that you preferred the new cruise, I'd say definitely not.

15 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Thanks....that's why I didn't even try to call Visa....I thought if it's self inflicted it's not covered....but no harm asking anyone who may have been in the same position and actually 'had the word' from Visa first-hand.

No, self-inflicted losses wouldn't be covered.

• I was just checking with my various credit cards to find out which ones have trip cancellation coverage before final payment on my cruise. It seems that most of them have gotten rid of or greatly reduced this feature. One credit card representative explained that if you cancel a cruise then they would cover it under the  purchase protection clause.  She explained it would be like you hired a florist for your wedding and paid upfront then cancelled the wedding. The credit card company would get your money back. Has anybody heard of this?  I am not planning on cancelling my cruise but want to know my options just in case. 

26 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

My concerns for cancelling are only in case of a medical emergency..... Doctor documentation and all that.  

Chase Sapphire Reserve and Preferred would cover you for medical.  As long as some part of the cruise was paid for with their credit card.

I’m not comfortable with that answer even it you got it from a customer service rep.

Of course, you have to read the terms and definitions provided by your  cc company, but typically purchase protection is for loss (theft, not just mysterious disappearance)  or damage for things you purchase like a purse or a toaster. There are time and dollar limits. Things like services, tickets, or perishables are typically not covered. I don’t think that florists or cruises would qualify.

Edited by Babr

5 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

• .  She explained it would be like you hired a florist for your wedding and paid upfront then cancelled the wedding. The credit card company would get your money back. Has anybody heard of this?  I am not planning on cancelling my cruise but want to know my options just in case. 

Unless she was willing to put that in writing and reference the exact place in the official Explanation of Benefits page, I'd be very leery.

Chase Sapphire Preferred Covers cancellations for medical reasons BUT does not cover medical treatment or evacuation.  

I use a well-known online travel insurance website to cover those.  It's reasonably priced by covering minimal cruise cancellation.

8 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Unfortunately they have raised their annual fee to $550 which is pretty steep even with the $300 travel credit. 

Yes, Chase raised the fee, but the difference is likely made up on the savings from not needing to  buy travel insurance. 

For us, that and the travel credit make it worth while.

• Like 3

The question was whether Purchase Protection would cover a cancelled cruise. The answers have been about Trip Cancellation, which many credit cards have discontinued or significantly changed.

The OP did ask the question on the Cruise/Travel Insurance board, and I answered him there.

Purchase Protection is for things that you buy like a vase or a camera. It covers  theft or damage. There are time and dollar limits.  Things like services, tickets, and perishables are not covered. Under those terms, neither florists nor cruises would qualify.

Unless it is specifically defined in writing in the Benefit Guidelines, I would not expect any extension of coverage regardless of the customer service rep. Purchase Protection can't be construed as Trip Cancellation. 

@VitaminSea53

Howdy! emo22.gif 

Your two threads have been merged into one thread and on the more correct forum. All posts now appear in date/time order on this merged thread.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory.

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• 3 weeks later...

# 1 = purchase protection on the various credit cards, infinite ones, TD, RBC, Scotia here in Canada covers the scenarios below.  This from my own experience.  Something like this.  You buy your appliances at Sears and charge them and the extended warranties to your TD Credit Card (yeah, these cards are $120 for the year).  You buy the extended warranty.  Sears goes bankrupt;  TD Bank Credit card Infinite Aeroplan  pays me back the cost of the extended warranties I purchased because SEARS DID NOT AND COULD NOT FULFILL THEIR OBLIGATION TO COVER THE WARRANTY APPLIANCES.  I got back every penny of the $1500 in warranty. I was setting up my son in his new house and we gifted him appliances.  

Same thing holds true for your cruise.  If the supplier, the cruise line cannot deliver the cruise you paid for on your credit card (they go bankrupt, you would get your money back).  

If you are in the pre final payment phase of your booked cruise, just cancel the cruise and you will get your money back unless of course you booked a non refundable cruise.  Then you are on the hook for that.  Some cruise lines will change your sail date or your destination for a fee of usually $100 to $150 per person plus applicable increase in the new cruise.     

We were set to cruise years ago - family of four and one of my sons became ill and hospitalized.  Cost of the cruise plus airfare was just under $10,000.  It was all put on our credit card.  We got every penny back.    That $120 credit card was certainly worth it and have served us very well over the years.  Oh, Oh, when we turn 66 that is it.  I do believe we will no longer be covered.   Will have to then buy insurance for trip cancellation and trip interruption.