Balcony worth it?

back.2.cruising

Is a balcony worth it?

Is a Ferrari worth it?

Is a Rolex watch worth it?

Is a beach house in Malibu worth it?

There is one group that likes to do things in style, because they think they deserve it.

There is another group that tries to do everything on the cheap, so they can do it more often. 

Both groups are correct.

Which group do you belong to?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

For those who find their balcony to be a refuge from the "thousands" of other cruisers, have you ever considered traveling on a ship with fewer people?

I routinely book inside cabins on smaller ships. I never have a problem finding quiet, private spaces that feel like a refuge. But that's true even on larger ships, just may require a bit more searching. On Regal Princess (largest ship I've ever been on and not an experience I want to repeat) I was able to find several quiet places, including an outdoor seating area that was underutilized.

I have been in everything from insides to mini-suites. No matter the type of cruise, I have rarely used a balcony, and have never missed it when I didn't have one.

I have cruised on a ship with as few as 800 passengers and still prefer a balcony.  Instead of scouring the ship looking for a semi-private place with fingers crossed that no one else will be there I had one just outside my door that was private and ours alone. 

I cruised in an inside cabin once and now have a better understanding of what a white-collar prison might be like.  The airlessness, lack of natural light and the disconnection from the outside world made it a substandard experience.   

I compare the incremental cost of a balcony against the cost of the entire trip.  If I'm spending money in the first place I don't want to spend it having a marginal experience when a few dollars more will significantly enhance my enjoyment of the trip.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, K32682 said:

I have cruised on a ship with as few as 800 passengers and still prefer a balcony.  Instead of scouring the ship looking for a semi-private place with fingers crossed that no one else will be there I had one just outside my door that was private and ours alone. 

I cruised in an inside cabin once and now have a better understanding of what a white-collar prison might be like.  The airlessness, lack of natural light and the disconnection from the outside world made it a substandard experience.   

I compare the incremental cost of a balcony against the cost of the entire trip.  If I'm spending money in the first place I don't want to spend it having a marginal experience when a few dollars more will significantly enhance my enjoyment of the trip.  

Got it:  It's not a ship issue, it's a "you" issue.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Got it:  It's not a ship issue, it's a "you" issue.

Isn't every cruise a "you" issue for the people paying for it?  I have no quarrel with someone who is happy to pay less in return for being cocooned deep in the inner bowels of the boat in artificial light and breathing lifeless air from forced air ducts.  I'd rather pay for natural light, the stars at night, wafting sea breezes and a private view of the ocean's majesty without having to potentially fight for it with several hundred/thousand other passengers.  It is more expensive but it is worth it. 

Edited by K32682

13 hours ago, Ladyinflight said:

I get a kick out of some people's statement of "we don't spend the money on a balcony because we are never in the room anyway".  That's because they want to get out of that closed up space soon and as much as possible.  

My last two cruises were both on balconies. No, we did not spend much time in there. When we did, I wanted to leave. Don't get me wrong, I love the sea. I actually spent more time watching the sea with a cigar in the smoking area. Followed next by a lounge chair in the sun, both of which I found way more relaxing.

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

Nothing wrong with finding value in such things. Even though it is overly dramatic. I have rarely traveled the 7 seas only to find I must turn around and begin the journey back home.

13 hours ago, clo said:

I agree. I like to read lying down - sofa or bed. So I'm in our cabin/hotel room regularly.

Lounge chairs totally adjustable on at lest 3 decks. Around the bool or not. By yourself up on the upper decks. In the sun or not. So may choices.

Balconies are worth every penny. So lovely to go out there any time of day, early in the morning to watch the sun, come up, relax for a snooze or with a book in the afternoon, sip a cocktail before dinner or watch the stars twinkle at night. It's your own private sanctuary away from the excitement. 

Jonathan

• Like 1

For us it’s a numbers game.  We already have three cruises booked this year, in addition to a week on the beach on South Padre Island for my birthday and a baseball trip with my daughter to Seattle.  If we did a balcony every time we couldn’t afford so much travel, cruising and otherwise.  Nothing against balconies, just not in the budget.  As a side note, of the two times we have had a balcony, one the next door neighbor smoked cigarettes constantly and the other someone was smoking pot so it wasn’t enjoyable some of the time anyway.  YMMV

21 hours ago, Donald said:

Is a balcony worth it?

Is a Ferrari worth it?

Is a Rolex watch worth it?

Is a beach house in Malibu worth it?

There is one group that likes to do things in style, because they think they deserve it.

There is another group that tries to do everything on the cheap, so they can do it more often. 

Both groups are correct.

Which group do you belong to?

Well I drive my ferrari to the port, and board the ship wearing my Rolex, and I head off to my Cabin, and sit on the balcony. Can I be in both?

They are worth it to us--and I just found out I much prefer ocean-facing, after spending a week in a garden view balcony on the Harmony of the Seas.  It just wasn't the same and even though it was $200pp less, I wouldn't do it again.

Then again, I may never sail on one of the giant ships again anyway.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 1

Getting back to balconies...….Sometimes people don't realize that, unlike the bedroom windows or the patio doors at home, it is not okay to leave the balcony door open.  It's an either/or situation:  On the balcony with the fresh air, or in the cabin with AC, in which case the cabin is pretty much the same as an OV.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Getting back to balconies...….Sometimes people don't realize that, unlike the bedroom windows or the patio doors at home, it is not okay to leave the balcony door open.  It's an either/or situation:  On the balcony with the fresh air, or in the cabin with AC, in which case the cabin is pretty much the same as an OV.

Yep. And some of the windows in an OV cover almost the entire wall.

To each their own. We only do Ocean Views now. Wife does not like not being able to see the sun in the AM and not being able to look outside. I could care less. I have said this before. We have tried the suites and down. In the beginning our first three cruises were inside. Then we did balconies and really liked the openness and being able to walk out and look around. After a while we no longer did that. As usual now. Sleep, get up get ready and leave. return get ready for bed. Wife will watch a little TV. I am out as a light. Why spend the extra if you are not going to use it. If you use it and love it. Go for it.

• Like 1