Balcony worth it?

back.2.cruising

We try to get a balcony, but we have sailed 5 smaller ships where balconies were much more expensive than an ocean view cabin, so the price difference wasn't worth it. We're in an OV on our next cruise, with 4 sea days, but we'll enjoy the adult only areas and some of the open deck areas on those days. We booked at $850 per person for an 11 day cruise, and the rate is up to $1400 per person for an OV and balconies are over $2000.

When we book Alaska, I would like to get a balcony.

We prefer OV over balcony.

We were upgraded to a balcony on our Alaska cruise, but only used it once in 12 days.  It was much nicer on the top deck, looking at the views in all directions.

We recently had a balcony for two weeks in the Caribbean; it was cheaper than an OV.  Nice, but we really did not use it much at all.  Weather was fine, the balcony furniture was fine, but for whatever reason, we just did not feel inclined to spend much time out there.  We relaxed in the cabin a lot, and spent a lot of time around the ship.

I guess only you can answer for you.

7 hours ago, back.2.cruising said:

Hello everyone,

Rogjt now I’m seeing a Balcony on our upcoming cruise would be about $500 or so or more dollars than I paid for our interior. However, it’s in the rate where you can’t pick your room. My cruise in July. If I decided to upgrade, when would you recommend it?

Thank you again. 

Where are you cruising to?  That has a lot to do with the value of a balcony over an inside cabin.  Personally, I don't like guaranteed cabins of any configuration, and lean towards mid ship mid deck balconies that we can choose the location.  Having a balcony means we can have a cozy place to relax without the noise or hassle of being on Lido deck.

The OP has to evaluate his/her preferences, budget, and current fares to determine if the upsell is worthwhile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

We prefer OV over balcony.

We were upgraded to a balcony on our Alaska cruise, but only used it once in 12 days.  It was much nicer on the top deck, looking at the views in all directions.

We recently had a balcony for two weeks in the Caribbean; it was cheaper than an OV.  Nice, but we really did not use it much at all.  Weather was fine, the balcony furniture was fine, but for whatever reason, we just did not feel inclined to spend much time out there.  We relaxed in the cabin a lot, and spent a lot of time around the ship.

I guess only you can answer for you.

That is what I should have said.We were also upgraded to a balcony on our Alaska cruise and also only used it once in 12 days.

Some folks don't really care about the cabin..it's for sleeping and changing.  For me, my personal space is important.  I wouldn't sail in anything less than a balcony...and I'd prefer something larger.  It's all personal preference.  There is PLENTY of outdoor, public space for viewing.   It's up to YOU!

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

It is worth every penny for the enjoyment of comparative solitude, not having to fight for a deck chair and even the briefest sense you are alone on the boat not crammed in with several thousand others. 

My thoughts as well...perhaps not as eloquent.  Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Some folks don't really care about the cabin..it's for sleeping and changing.  For me, my personal space is important.  I wouldn't sail in anytddhing less than a balcony...and I'd prefer something larger.  It's all personal preference.  There is PLENTY of outdoor, public space for viewing.   It's up to YOU!

But I can have an oceanview with the exact same amount of space. Our recent cruise we had a 'veranda' that we barely used once because it was hot.

When we started cruising this was a easy question, since there were n balconies. But once we got used to having one we didn’t want to not have one even though we didn’t spend all that much time out there , same as suites didn’t cate about them until we tried one . 

60 plus cruises over past 30 years, once balconies have become common...we always book one, unless sold out.    When we have a balcony, actually book a mini suite... we spend more time in our cabin on sea days and before and after a day in port.  Love the fresh air we have in our cabin having the balcony door open some part of the day.    Only you can decided.  Try it once and see if worth it.  Has been to us for many years.

• Like 1

If balcony doors are left open, it messes with the AC system in that area of the ship.  Very tempting to have it open, but not always a good idea.

Maybe that's why we are not sold on balconies......it's either sit on the balcony or in the cabin.  No leaving the door open for an extended room.

• Like 2

Of course they are nicer. There are lots of things that are nice like specialty dining, drink packages, excursions, etc. Then before you know it, you've spent thousands of dollars, and did you really make your vacation that much better? To some, maybe. It's great if you want a private, quiet location, to yourself. It also can be a better option if you're packing more than 2 people in the room.

To me, the balcony view is great, but we don't use it much. The room is mostly for sleeping and getting ready. There is so much going on around the ship that the last place I want to stay is in the room, let alone paying more to do so. Relaxing places and views of the sea aren't anything exclusive to balconies.

I know too many people who follow the motto of "I can't afford vacations often, so when I do, I splurge". They buy everything offered to them, and can only afford it once every 1-3 years. Then, these same people ask me how I can take so many trips in a year. One of the answers is prioritizing what is important. A $4000 cruise vs a $2000 cruise is the difference between another cruise.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, clo said:

But I can have an oceanview with the exact same amount of space. Our recent cruise we had a 'veranda' that we barely used once because it was hot.

OV are not the exact same amount of space because they do not have the extra sf of the balcony.  

I normally skip the balcony, and move to a full suite. 😄

Even more room.  Balcony large enough for table and chairs for a nice breakfast at sea.

Tomorrow I sail for the first time in other than a suite.  I have an Ocean View.  I will see how it works.  I am solo, so space will not be an issue.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Of course they are nicer. There are lots of things that are nice like specialty dining, drink packages, excursions, etc. Then before you know it, you've spent thousands of dollars, and did you really make your vacation that much better? T

Very good point.  People routinely double or even triple the cost of their trips with various enhancements.  The companies marketing department and their bottom line love it but the consumer should really question if it is worth it.

We vacation routinely, while we are far from poor it does take adhering to a budget to make that possible.  I was talking the other day with a friend over a couple of recent cruises we were on.  We have a similar financial profile and he was complaining about not being able to afford to travel as much as we do.  I pointed out on a per day average I can spend 12 nights on Carnival with my selective booking for the same cost as his last 4 nights Disney cruise.

We all have choices to make, you just need to recognize them.  Some price a trip and do all the add on's until the cost is more than doubled until it is way over budget, I always see it as a chance to be mindful and try to squeeze in two trips for the same $$$.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

Were I on a budget I would settle for fewer but better cruises and a balcony makes a cruise better. When stuffed on a boat with several thousand other people a private balcony is a refuge of your very own.   

See....my experience is different.  I have never been on a cruise where I couldn't find quiet areas in numerous places throughout the ship.  I would much rather be outside of my cabin than trapped in it.

• Like 2

The only way I will cruise without a balcony is if the room has floor to ceiling windows like RCI’s panoramic ocean views. Even if the balcony isn’t used much, I still appreciate the floor to ceiling windows and all the light that comes with it. 

Balcony breakfast is one of my favorite cruise activities. I would miss it if I didn’t have a balcony. 

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Of course they are nicer. There are lots of things that are nice like specialty dining, drink packages, excursions, etc. Then before you know it, you've spent thousands of dollars, and did you really make your vacation that much better?

In my opinion, absolutely 🙂

12 hours ago, clo said:

Actually many OV cabins are larger then one with a balcony. We will take a balcony only if the price is lower than the OV. Makes sense. Otherwise. No. There are so many quiet spots on a cruise ship, we do not need a balcony to get away from people. We did not go o a cruse to be by ourselves. We, like many others like privacy. That is understandable. But to go and sit and look at the water for an hour or so. Not for us. We can do that and enjoy other activities on deck. So many activities for any age all day. We are in our 70s and hate just sitting doing nothing. Yes, we might just sit and listen to nice music. Wife will have her cappuccino and me my Coke Zero. Maybe a specialty drink. That is us. The reason they have all these different cabins is obvious. Something for everyone. As they say. To each there own. Here is the pun. Whatever floats your boat! 😎

• Like 1