Explorer or Oasis

Need some help. I'm putting together a group of 12 people. 9 adults. Most are veteran cruisers. 3 children. 8, 7, and 4 (first cruise for the kids).

It looks like I have it down to Explorer (9 night) or Oasis (7 night). For me, nine nights is always better than 7, but the price goes up too.

I've sailed oasis class so I know the pros and cons, but I have never sailed voyager class. 

Which would you select for the kids? Why? 

Which would you select for the adults? Why?

tia

In your scenario, OASIS all the way. 

Everyone will be happier. 

Longer is not necessarily better for the kids. 

SO much more entertainment for the kids on Oasis. 

Much better shows on Oasis. 

Newer ship. 

Just refurbished. 

OASIS. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What are the two itineraries 

I'd prefer Oasis more than llikely

It's a great multi generation ship

We did the Explorer 9 night a few weeks ago. We loved it. 

In your case, I'd lean towards Oasis. Longer cruises generally means older crowd. The crowd was old on Explorer. Not many kids. Lots of sea days. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I suspect the following information may make messy the pot:

Explorer: Grand Caymen, Aruba, Boniar, Curaso (These are very attractive ports for the group as some have never been)

Oasis: St Thomas, St Kitts, Cocoa Cay

The 9 day is actually pricing CHEAPER than oasis 7 day.

This is a cruise over Easter in 2021, so I'm not worried about there not being enough kids on Explorer. Also, the amount of kids on Oasis will be high because it's a traditional 7 day.

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thanks everyone. I suspect the following information may make messy the pot:

Explorer: Grand Caymen, Aruba, Boniar, Curaso (These are very attractive ports for the group as some have never been)

Oasis: St Thomas, St Kitts, Cocoa Cay

The 9 day is actually pricing CHEAPER than oasis 7 day.

This is a cruise over Easter in 2021, so I'm not worried about there not being enough kids on Explorer. Also, the amount of kids on Oasis will be high because it's a traditional 7 day.

Yikes, I'll bet they both will be maxed out with kids. We did Serenade 10 day over Easter in 2017. Has almost 1,000 kids. That's almost half the ship

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Yikes, I'll bet they both will be maxed out with kids. We did Serenade 10 day over Easter in 2017. Has almost 1,000 kids. That's almost half the ship

Yikes is right! That's a lot of kids for a 10 day on Serenade. I would have thought that Radiance class would not have attracted so many kids. 

I really like voyager class have sailed it 4 times, perfect size not to big or small. Normally very nice entertainment, ice show , guitar player in pub, piano player in schooner bar and other shows. Of course for entertainment it still does not match oasis and less for the children, but two extra days. 

• Like 1

I would do the 9 day on the Explorer.  Particularly if the port days are nice and long.  And if the kids have never been on a cruise before they will have nothing to compare it to and will have an amazing time.  Plus, the ship will have been refurbished. 

The Explorer is a great ship and I will always choose a longer cruise...especially if you have to pay airfare to get there.

• Like 2

While I personally would choose the Oasis as that class is my favorite, the Explorer would be a great cruise for your group.  Still plenty for the kids to do with the water slides, FlowRider, mini golf, rock wall, laser tag, ice skating, outdoor movies, and parades.  I don't know much about the kids programs on either ship as we never used those with our kids.  

Activities missing from the Explorer for the kids:

- Zip Line

- Ultimate Abyss slide

- Escape Room 

- Carousel

The shows are where Oasis really beats out the Explorer.  Although, the big show, CATS, is not a show loved by all and may be hard for the younger ones to follow.

Both ships have a decent amount of specialty restaurants if you want a break from the Main Dining Room.  Oasis has a better selection of free options to choose from.  And it has new dining to try (El Loc Fresh and Portside BBQ).

For your group it sounds like the Explorer ports would be new for many so that is a plus.  But the younger ones may enjoy the water park at Coco Cay.  

It's a tough call as you can get 2 extra days and a lower price on Explorer. And you are a big group of 12 so you will be making your own fun no matter which ship you choose.

Let us know what you decide.  

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 12:23 PM, John&LaLa said:

Not to hi-jack thread but we were also considering this same cruise - April 4th 2021, leaving on Easter Sunday, and we thought that because of Easter that there would be less kids...….is this not true?

What are we missing here?

Our assumption was that school vacations would be over, which would lead to less kids ? 

Would it be better to take the March 26th or Feb 12th version of this 9 night cruise ?

3 minutes ago, CTCruiser76 said:

Not to hi-jack thread but we were also considering this same cruise - April 4th 2021, leaving on Easter Sunday, and we thought that because of Easter that there would be less kids...….is this not true?

What are we missing here?

Our assumption was that school vacations would be over, which would lead to less kids ? 

Would it be better to take the March 26th or Feb 12th version of this 9 night cruise ?

most schools in the north have the week after Easter off. Easter week is one of the busiest of the year. March 26 will be bad because if schools don’t have the week after Easter off they may likely have the week before. Feb 12th will run into northern state university break or possibly Presidents’ Day. If you can go late April and May you will have less children.

I've done Oasis twice, Harmony once, and Symphony once (all Oasis class).

I've done Navigator twice and Mariner once and Explorer once (all Voyager class). 

Honestly, I'd vote Explorer, for multiple reasons.

• First, the kids are YOUNG. 
  • Second, I just did that exact same Explorer itinerary in November/December, and it's awesome.  
  • Third, the price is lower for nine days than it is for seven days.  

If you had teens in the mix, I'd say go for Oasis class to keep them busy / happy / entertained (I think we all know that bored teens are no fun to be around!).  But IMO kids that are elementary school age and younger are just thrilled to be on a ship.  There is children's programming through Adventure Ocean, plus there is a kiddie swimming area, and with it being Easter week, there will be a gazillion other kids for them to have fun with in Adventure Ocean and the kiddie swimming area.  

If you had adults who had already been to the ABCs multiple times and hadn't been to the others, then I could be swayed to the Oasis sailling.  

While I think everyone should do Oasis-class at some point just to say they've done it, I'm one of those who doesn't prefer it.  My ultimate preference is Freedom class, with Voyager class coming in second.  I like the availability of shade in the Solarium, I like that it feels like one ship (not compartmentalized into different sections), and I like that it's not so huge that I spend more time walking to my destination than at my destination (I have a bum knee, which makes walking slow-going).  Oasis class doesn't check any of those boxes.  

I certainly won't turn down a trip on an Oasis-class ship (and I'm already booked on Oasis later this year because I got an excellent deal), but for the price and the itinerary, I'd definitely choose Explorer in your situation.

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 1