ID required for NCL cruise

cf73uk

I’ve just been completing my online check in for my cruise in Japan/South Korea. I’ve read that I need my passport and another form of government photo ID. 

I was just thinking I needed a passport. I don’t have any other photo ID. Has anyone been asked for passport and another ID when going on a cruise in Asia? 

thanks

claire

you only need a passport, no need for an alternative id

the only time you need another form of government photo id is if you are using a birth certificate to board the ship, this usually applies to the Bahamas and Caribbean cruises

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, shof515 said:

you only need a passport, no need for an alternative id

the only time you need another form of government photo id is if you are using a birth certificate to board the ship, this usually applies to the Bahamas and Caribbean cruises

You can not use a birth certificate for a cruise out of Tokyo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cf73uk said:

I’ve just been completing my online check in for my cruise in Japan/South Korea. I’ve read that I need my passport and another form of government photo ID. 

I was just thinking I needed a passport. I don’t have any other photo ID. Has anyone been asked for passport and another ID when going on a cruise in Asia? 

thanks

claire

I carrying a driver's license an issue?

• Like 1

Just now, Langham1865 said:

passport will due in this case as well

Yes a passport will work but most people will always carry a drivers license everywhere and not so much a passport.  It will be required to get into federal buildings. I guess i just found it easier to have the drivers license than tote a passport.

19 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

Depending on when your cruise is, if you are flying you will need a real ID drivers license. Some call it enhanced drivers license.

That's not correct.  You will not need a Real ID-compliant driver's license to fly domestically (starting Oct. 1, 2020) if you use another acceptable ID, such as a passport.  

16 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

Yes a passport will work but most people will always carry a drivers license everywhere and not so much a passport.  It will be required to get into federal buildings. I guess i just found it easier to have the drivers license than tote a passport.

I agree about the ease of carrying a driver's license (rather than a passport), but it's not correct to tell people that they "will" need the Real ID-compliant driver's license (to fly domestically).  

32 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

Depending on when your cruise is, if you are flying you will need a real ID drivers license. Some call it enhanced drivers license.

"enhanced drivers license" and "real id" are NOT the same. The EDL is only available in NY, Vermont, Michagan, Minnesota, Washington state and is similiar to a passport card and not to be used for international flights. 

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/enhanced-drivers-license.html

Edited by esm54687
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

"enhanced drivers license" and "real id" are NOT the same. The EDL is only available in NY, Vermont, Michagan, Minnesota, Washington state and is similiar to a passport card and not to be used for international flights. 

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/enhanced-drivers-license.html

We live in Louisiana and have the real ID license. What will the states mentioned above do for flying international, government buildings, military post? Guess the internet can be misinformation because before we got our real ID it lead us to believe they were called the same.

A Real ID and an Enhanced license allows you to FLY DOMESTICALLY .  An Enhanced license allows you to cross the border to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean by LAND or SEA TRAVEL ONLY.  Any NON DOMESTIC FLIGHTS need a Passport to travel

Edited by disneylover89

29 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

We live in Louisiana and have the real ID license. What will the states mentioned above do for flying international, government buildings, military post? Guess the internet can be misinformation because before we got our real ID it lead us to believe they were called the same.

Since the EDL is the same as a passport card, it will be used for federal buildings and military posts as well as domestic flights however to fly international they will be required to have a passport book like everyone else.

2 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

A Real ID and an Enhanced license allows you to FLY DOMESTICALLY .  An Enhanced license allows you to cross the border to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean by LAND or SEA TRAVEL ONLY.  Any NON DOMESTIC FLIGHTS need a Passport to travel

To clarify.... there are two types of passports.... a card and a book.  Important to identify which you're talking about when talking about passports.   The passport book is the best if the two but some will choose the card for their specific needs 

All these answers are great if the OP is from the US. The username suggests that the OP may be from the UK. If this is the case then I've not come across an instance whereby anybody has needed anything but a passport. The only other form of government issued photo ID is a driving licence, or military ID if in the forces.

The DVLA and the passport agency use the same photo as ID and the military usually warn against using military ID as it can obviously be used to identify military personnel who may not wish to be identified as such for their own security.

I would give NCL a call and ask them to clarify. My mother did this when she was told on line that her passport needed to be valid for six months after her holiday, on phoning NCL she was told that as the cruise remained within the EU and that the UK was in the EU, at the time, that it was not necessary to have a passport that was valid six moths after the end of the holiday. She renewed her passport anyway.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

Not if you have a passport. Use that for your ID to fly, and forget about a DL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

Real ID is not an enhanced Drivers license.  They are very different. Real ID is only valid for domestic flights. A passport will be required for international flights.

4 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

But, you can't fly to Tokyo for this cruise with a drivers license. You need a passport. 

If you have a passport, you don't need a Real ID driver's license. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BaWBarmy said:

All these answers are great if the OP is from the US. The username suggests that the OP may be from the UK. If this is the case then I've not come across an instance whereby anybody has needed anything but a passport. The only other form of government issued photo ID is a driving licence, or military ID if in the forces.

The DVLA and the passport agency use the same photo as ID and the military usually warn against using military ID as it can obviously be used to identify military personnel who may not wish to be identified as such for their own security.

I would give NCL a call and ask them to clarify. My mother did this when she was told on line that her passport needed to be valid for six months after her holiday, on phoning NCL she was told that as the cruise remained within the EU and that the UK was in the EU, at the time, that it was not necessary to have a passport that was valid six moths after the end of the holiday. She renewed her passport anyway.

Thank you. I’m from the UK and don’t have a driving licence so had planned on just bringing the passport. You are right I’m best giving NCL a call. 

9 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I agree about the ease of carrying a driver's license (rather than a passport), but it's not correct to tell people that they "will" need the Real ID-compliant driver's license (to fly domestically).  

Passport card works fine for the real ID 

10 hours ago, cf73uk said:

thanks

claire

Having just completed a NCL Asia cruise the issue may be that the ship collects and keeps your passport during the cruise to facilitate getting visas. We had UK drivers licenses but I also took a photo copy of our passports with us ashore, this worked when we were asked for id when using a credit card and exchanging money.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Catchum said:

Having just completed a NCL Asia cruise the issue may be that the ship collects and keeps your passport during the cruise to facilitate getting visas. We had UK drivers licenses but I also took a photo copy of our passports with us ashore, this worked when we were asked for id when using a credit card and exchanging money.

Thanks, yes I had read that they kept the passports. My husband has a driving licence that we can use if we need to use for exchanging money etc but as long as I don’t need the additional ID to get back on the ship then I probably won’t bother getting a provisional licence 

34 minutes ago, cf73uk said:

Thanks, yes I had read that they kept the passports. My husband has a driving licence that we can use if we need to use for exchanging money etc but as long as I don’t need the additional ID to get back on the ship then I probably won’t bother getting a provisional licence 

When we did our Asia cruise we were not told to take a second ID and did not have one.

Once onboard, we were told to take photo ID to get back on the ship, but the ship had our passports which was our only photo ID. Guest services gave us a photocopy of our passport and told us it was all we needed.

In honesty the photocopy stayed in our bags and nobody wanted to see it but YMMV.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Thanks 1