Price Drop Not Honored

On Jan 26, 2020  booked a cruise leaving April 8, 2020 from Rome on the Jewel of the Seas.  I noticed that the price is now $500 lower than what we paid.  I called customer service and they said they could not make any adjustments to our price.  Is the normal?  

12 minutes ago, beardedladies said:

Take a look at the next category up from what you booked - If it’s less than what you’ve originally paid then you can essentially upgrade for free

The Customer Service Rep said there are no upgrades available.  :classic_sad: Thanks for the suggestion.  I guess we're paying what we're paying.  

Similar to my story...

I booked via Priceline and I paid in full at time of booking. Noticed there was a price drop  but because I paid in full there was no price adjustments. Im like ok... how is this logical?  Im being penalized because I paid you everything you want up front... strange. After back and forth with Priceline who was on the phone with RC,  they said we can  give you a upgraded room ( we were in basic inside cabin which we wanted)  to a window view for $50.00  I was like uhmm no... im calling to get money back ($350 usd) not pay more money. Their best and final was a $25.00 OBC or an upgrade to a virtual balcony room. We didn't want either TBH but we knew the value of a Virtual room was more than $25 so we just took that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Linzym2020 said:

Similar to my story...

I booked via Priceline and I paid in full at time of booking. Noticed there was a price drop  but because I paid in full there was no price adjustments. Im like ok... how is this logical?  Im being penalized because I paid you everything you want up front... strange. After back and forth with Priceline who was on the phone with RC,  they said we can  give you a upgraded room ( we were in basic inside cabin which we wanted)  to a window view for $50.00  I was like uhmm no... im calling to get money back ($350 usd) not pay more money. Their best and final was a $25.00 OBC or an upgrade to a virtual balcony room. We didn't want either TBH but we knew the value of a Virtual room was more than $25 so we just took that. 

Was it after final payment? That’s how it works.

5 minutes ago, Linzym2020 said:

Similar to my story...

If you were before final payment DATE you should have been able to get the money back

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 12:25 PM, Linzym2020 said:

Similar to my story...

Yes I thought that was pretty crummy too. Pay up front and get penalized.  I guess other cruise lines may do the same thing but I know that once the lower price was honored on another cruise line.  May have been the time frame - I can't remember.  I guess the answer is don't book ahead of time but then the airfare and flights gets crazy.

7 minutes ago, Texas Flood said:

Yes I thought that was pretty crummy too. Pay up front and get penalized.  I guess other cruise lines may do the same thing but I know that once the lower price was honored on another cruise line.  May have been the time frame - I can't remember.  I guess the answer is don't book ahead of time but then the airfare and flights gets crazy.

That's not how it works.  If you pay up front but are before Royals final payment date you most definitely get the price drop.  once the final payment date hits there are no price drops.  If you book after the final payment date you have to pay in full at the time of booking.

11 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That's not how it works.  If you pay up front but are before Royals final payment date you most definitely get the price drop.  once the final payment date hits there are no price drops.  If you book after the final payment date you have to pay in full at the time of booking.

Same thing with me too. They always refund the money back to the card I paid with up until the final payment date if I pay in full before the final payment date and there is a price drop. 

Edited by WeighAnchor

OP, I understand your hope to get some money back, but  after final payment that  has never been the policy. I have made many price adjustments up until final payment to reduce my cruise cost.    I just can’t do it after final payment is due.

I assume that you were OK with the original price for the cruise because you went ahead and booked the cruise.   Hopefully you can be content with that and have a great cruise. 

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

15 minutes ago, Texas Flood said:

It was over $700 difference.

That's a lot. I'd personally like a virtual room, just to see if the sun is up if I wake up during the night. 

At least you got something.

How could anyone know 90 days ago this virus would take hold. 

56 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Actually around 10 to 15 years ago you could. 

I've been cruising for over 15 years and dont remember and refunds on rcl after final payment.

Early saver on carnival, yes, but not rcl.

There have been times when I locked in a date, and the date before or after went down but not mine.

700 is a lot, so I can understand why the op isnt happy. We all had some good deals and not so good deals. Sorry 

• Like 1