3/7/20 - Grand Princess to Hawaii Cancelled

Syracusefan44

https://twitter.com/princesscruises/status/1235631941883277312?s=21

We can also confirm the cancellation of the upcoming Grand Princess Hawaii cruise departing on March 7. All guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, Princess Air, Princess Cruise Plus pre- and post-cruise hotel packages, prepaid shore excursions and other prepaid items purchased through Princess. Guests will also receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid on this voyage.

Edited by Syracusefan44
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Syracusefan44 said:

https://twitter.com/princesscruises/status/1235631941883277312?s=21

We can also confirm the cancellation of the upcoming Grand Princess Hawaii cruise departing on March 7. All guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, Princess Air, Princess Cruise Plus pre- and post-cruise hotel packages, prepaid shore excursions and other prepaid items purchased through Princess. Guests will also receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid on this voyage.

So that got  a full refund plus a FCC for the same price of the refund they just got...........So that would be like a free cruise?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So that got  a full refund plus a FCC for the same price of the refund they just got...........So that would be like a free cruise?

"just" the cruise fare … not the other add-ons 

53 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Not really.  As the "fare" is only about half the cost of once you add in  taxes, fees, port charges, fuel surcharge etc.   

8 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Not really.  As the "fare" is only about half the cost of once you add in  taxes, fees, port charges, fuel surcharge etc.   

Depends on where you're going....sometimes the fees aren't so bad😊

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Incorrect..  Princess just put total amount back into my Princess account to use on my next cruise purchase.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ed01106 said:

IIRC, Princess threatened a fuel surcharge many years ago if the price of fuel went above a certain level. Even though fuel at times went above that level, they have never assessed a fuel surcharge. You must be thinking of some other cruise line.

• Like 1

1. As I see it, Princess is getting a giant black eye.  They can and do work hard to make it right with the passengers.  Is it just coincidence that Princess is getting a second quarantined ship?  Are the stories of a rushed embarkation that are in the press accurate?  Were new protocols followed or was the schedule more important?  I do not know the answers and I am also not interested in playing a blame game but sometimes when it walks and quacks like a duck, well you know.  I pray that those on the Grand all emerge safely.  Just as with the Diamond and all cruises we take on these beautiful ships, the end result should be good memories not serious repercussions.   I am looking forward to returning to reading reviews about the lousy food and crowds at the buffet!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

IIRC, Princess threatened a fuel surcharge many years ago if the price of fuel went above a certain level. Even though fuel at times went above that level, they have never assessed a fuel surcharge. You must be thinking of some other cruise line.

I have paid a fuel surcharge previously with Princess. It was around 2008.

Edited by Coral

I am wondering what will happen in April....We have back to back cruises to Hawaii booked....I do NOT want to get on that ship if it going to be used as a quarantine ship as the Diamond was in Japan....We don't want to cancel now and lose a good amount of money, only to have Princess cancel it in a couple weeks and we would get out money back....crazy...this is insane! We are waiting to see what Princess does. I think they should cancel a couple months or longer while this virus is burning through the population.

The Public Health people and the military should open a hospital and barracks at a closed military base in California and staff it with military medical personnel and put ALL the passengers and crew there for quarantine, positive tested people in the hospital, negative tested people in the barracks and move them accordingly. They then could bring in a cleaning crew to really clean on their ships! Also they could keep ONLY the Coronavirus patients there, no one else! Once they were in quarantine for 3 weeks and have 3 negative tests, then they could be released! They could even take other Coronavirus patients there, not just the ship's passengers!  If I was Governor that's what I would request be done! 

I don't mind missing our cruises, though I have been looking forward to going back to Hawaii! We did 3 back-to-back 15 day Hawaii cruises in November -December! We were onboard for 45 days! So much fun! We LOVE cruising! BUT with this virus and both of us having had pneumonia before that leaves us much more susceptible to lung and respiratory problems, I would rather not take the risk. We are just wondering if Princess will cancel and we will get our money back. We really don't want to lose a good portion of the fares we paid for two cruises!

But, they really should get those people off that ship and quarantined in one place! You think they would have learned from the Diamond Princess fiasco! It is like a floating Petri dish!!! 😞😞

The military could pull off setting up a quarantine area like that, PDQ, that's what they are trained to do. They should not quarantine them on that ship like the Diamond! 😠😠😞😞  Makes me sad and mad, both! 

In the meantime, we will just wait to hear what Princess will do. We are praying for everyone who has been exposed to this virus and hope that if they do get COVID-19, that it it is a very mild case of it.......GOD Bless all those exposed to this virus...🙏🙏🙏🙏💙💙💙💙

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, disneycruisinsusan said:

The Public Health people and the military should open a hospital and barracks at a closed military base in California and staff it with military medical personnel and put ALL the passengers and crew there for quarantine, positive tested people in the hospital, negative tested people in the barracks and move them accordingly. They then could bring in a cleaning crew to really clean on their ships! Also they could keep ONLY the Coronavirus patients there, no one else! Once they were in quarantine for 3 weeks and have 3 negative tests, then they could be released! They could even take other Coronavirus patients there, not just the ship's passengers!  If I was Governor that's what I would request be done!

I may be wrong but it is my understanding that all the surplus military bases in California that were closed have either been sold to private developers or leased to developers or are parks / monuments.

Edited by brisalta

3 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I may be wrong but it is my understanding that all the surplus military bases in California that were closed have either been sold to private developers or leased to developers or are parks / monuments.

You are right.....they then could use existing bases and centralize the care of the Coronavirus patients....yeah, that is very likely that they were sold...I had not thought about that...thanks for reminding me...just when we need the bases for something like this...right? 

2 minutes ago, disneycruisinsusan said:

You are right.....they then could use existing bases and centralize the care of the Coronavirus patients....yeah, that is very likely that they were sold...I had not thought about that...thanks for reminding me...just when we need the bases for something like this...right? 

There used to a be Federal Public Health Hospitals in every major port city which had as one or their task epidemic control. Unfortunately these were shut in the 1980s

3 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

Same with me.  I think they have not imposed them since oil prices fell in December 2008 around the start of the great recession.  

I stand corrected. My first Princess cruise was around then. Personally never had a surcharge.

12 hours ago, ed01106 said:

What fuel charge? What are you talking about...............Fees are only usually $200 to $400 for a cruise 14 days or less. So on a $3500 cruise you still would get back $3100.

So they would get their money back from canceled cruise plus have a extra $3100 to spend on another cruise. Not a bad deal at all by the cruiseline.

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

That is still alot toward an almost free cruise.

How do you see that as a free cruise?

There only allowing you to use that money for another trip before Dec 31, 2021 which is the proper thing to do under the circumstances. 

A free cruise would be -all the money refunded + another cruise of your choice until Dec 31, 2021.

Not that I'm complaining since it allows us to back out of our trip during this time where the virus is rampant 

54 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

How do you see that as a free cruise?

There only allowing you to use that money for another trip before Dec 31, 2021 which is the proper thing to do under the circumstances. 

A free cruise would be -all the money refunded + another cruise of your choice until Dec 31, 2021.

Not that I'm complaining since it allows us to back out of our trip during this time where the virus is rampant 

I think the 'free cruise' reference is for the one that was just canceled by Princess.  They are getting a refund of all their costs for the canceled cruise in addition to a 100% future cruise credit.  

On 3/6/2020 at 7:30 AM, Cruise Raider said:

I think the 'free cruise' reference is for the one that was just canceled by Princess.  They are getting a refund of all their costs for the canceled cruise in addition to a 100% future cruise credit.  

That's how I read it too from the one poster earlier on this thread? Now is that true or not I'm not sure? Since they are giving you your original price of the cruise BACK TO YOU.....put back in your bank account.......and then they are giving you a 100 % Future Criuse Credit back to you to use by Dec 31, 2021.

That would be the FREE CRUISE

Edited by Jimbo

19 hours ago, Jimbo said:

That's how I read it too from the one poster earlier on this thread? Now is that true or not I'm not sure? Since they are giving you your original price of the cruise BACK TO YOU.....put back in your bank account.......and then they are giving you a 100 % Future Criuse Credit back to you to use by Dec 31, 2021.

That would be the FREE CRUISE

Spot on!! That's exactly how it works.  Now, you can pick a more expensive cruise, which obviously won't be completely free or you can buy a less expensive cruise, which in that case, you will still have some funds left in your future cruise credit to spend on another sailing.  What I don't believe is possible, is to spend your future cruise credits on excursions or things like that, but you can certainly use them on a cruise that has a promo that includes free perks.