RCCL requires Drs, note

5 minutes ago, deepcman said:

If you read the letter, it sounds like the Dr note will be required for as long as the Corona virus is around or until a vaccine is available at which time they'll require proof that you've been vaccinated.

rccl-approved-physician-letter.pdf 484.79 kB · 1 download

Yes, hopefully, once the virus has quelled, the note will go away.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, I know what will happen if one shows up in my office.

I can totally understand no doctor going out on a limb, as long as that one is in that note,  and signing it!

Edited by denamo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, denamo said:

Of course, that is what I would suspect as well. Haven't inquired with Royal directly if that specific note is the requirement or a doctor could craft their own. 

From what I've read, this note was a requirement the government wanted implemented for those cruisers 70+.  This was put into place after the Princess ships had been quarantined, but cruise lines were still cruising.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with the required doctor's note.

I just sent an email to RCI about the note. Let's see what they say. It must be remembered that the note must be signed within seven days of the sailing. That could be hard if you are doing a vacation before the cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, baldilocks said:

Well, if RCI is going to require a doctor's note to get on the ship, I guess will be in North Myrtle Beach enjoying the sand and restaurants....or Las Vegas and the shows. We are both 70+. My wife has mild asthma and I have A-fib. Both conditions are under control and have been for several years. We have a very fine family doctor, but I doubt he is going to sign anything like what RCI put out. So much for being a D+.

Also $50 to have Dr sign the note.  I'm over 70 but am in good health just at the stage to enjoy a few "perks"!  Not fair to have to stop cruising now.

• Like 6

Suppose this letter was sent to Mr. Bayley...wonder what the response would be?

"Dear Mr. Bayley,

We are both over 70 years old. We finally made Pinnacle. We have a number of cruises booked this year and next year. Our doctor said we are both healthy. However, our doctor won't sign the RCCL medical form. Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Loyal to Royal".

• Like 5

11 hours ago, baldilocks said:

I would hope that if we cannot cruise because of the required doctor's note, RCI would give a full refund. It is not our fault that they put this limitation on us...especially after we book a cruise. We have already jump ship from the Brilliance April 27th cruise to the Harmony November 29th because of the note. We are suppose to get our FCC in about 3-4 weeks....less insurance paid for and OBC allowance. That was about a $200 hit. We will pick up a $100 OBC on the Harmony cruise since we own RCI stock. 

Um.... you own stock in a company that refuses, under their recent policy change,  to allow you to cruise..... indefinitely? You would possibly benefit financially in your stock as they will retain cash,  at least in the short term, if they boot you off their cruises, but it's your cash, personally, they are keeping. Which offers you the most gain? It's a thought provoking situation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, denamo said:

Yes, hopefully, once the virus has quelled, the note will go away.

The cruise lines are not promising that. They are denying you passage and keeping your money only with YOUR hope that THEY will change THEIR minds later. and in the case of a FCC, you better HOPE that THEY change THEIR minds before the credit expires. Now that we are seeing that the volume of serious cases have more deeply penetrated younger groups, their requirement may not only remain in place, but it may be extended to those groups and ALL will be required to get that doctor's note.  Add to that the talk that this may be a cyclical virus, now advancing to South America, and it may return in the fall for a second round, and with no serum expected in the short term.

• Like 1

This whole thread distresses me.  My DH now will not be able sail because he has diabetes — no doctor will sign off on him.  I have until October and then I will need a doctor’ s note for each sailing.  Taking about 8 - 10 cruises a year requiring a doctor’s note??? What a pain.  Hope this note business and the virus as a whole goes away sooner rather than later.

Prayers for you and yours to remain healthy.  Katherine

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TYinPalmSprings said:

Um.... you own stock in a company that refuses, under their recent policy change,  to allow you to cruise..... indefinitely? You would possibly benefit financially in your stock as they will retain cash,  at least in the short term, if they boot you off their cruises, but it's your cash, personally, they are keeping. Which offers you the most gain? It's a thought provoking situation.

Well, until the virus hit, the stock was doing well...and getting OBC to boot. My crystal ball may have failed over the last few weeks. I guess I'll just have to wait to see if it clears up. 

3 hours ago, TYinPalmSprings said:

The cruise lines are not promising that. They are denying you passage and keeping your money only with YOUR hope that THEY will change THEIR minds later. and in the case of a FCC, you better HOPE that THEY change THEIR minds before the credit expires. Now that we are seeing that the volume of serious cases have more deeply penetrated younger groups, their requirement may not only remain in place, but it may be extended to those groups and ALL will be required to get that doctor's note.  Add to that the talk that this may be a cyclical virus, now advancing to South America, and it may return in the fall for a second round, and with no serum expected in the short term.

Then who, exactly, besides the crew is going to be on the ships if physicians won't sign?

• Like 1

Thinking out loud — Will the younger folks come back to cruising?  Will families, who maybe cruise once a year, be willing to risk problems with infection after all this is over?  Won’t Royal sadly miss all of the older folks who travel repeatedly during the year?  Just thinking out loud.  I personally would rather see Royal require a top notch travel insurance policy for the older folks like the UK does. Might relieve the Federal government or the cruise lines of additional financial risk.  Troubling to me that Drs are outright saying they will not sign any kind of release form.  Remember — thinking out loud.  Be well, all.  Katherine

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lady Hudson said:

Thinking out loud — Will the younger folks come back to cruising?  Will families, who maybe cruise once a year, be willing to risk problems with infection after all this is over?  Won’t Royal sadly miss all of the older folks who travel repeatedly during the year?  Just thinking out loud.  I personally would rather see Royal require a top notch travel insurance policy for the older folks like the UK does. Might relieve the Federal government or the cruise lines of additional financial risk.  Troubling to me that Drs are outright saying they will not sign any kind of release form.  Remember — thinking out loud.  Be well, all.  Katherine

Top notch travel insurance doesn't protect RCI is any way from having to deal with an issue that presents while the passenger is aboard the ship. So what do they have to gain by requiring it? 

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Top notch travel insurance doesn't protect RCI is any way from having to deal with an issue that presents while the passenger is aboard the ship. So what do they have to gain by requiring it? 

Thinking about the cost air lift someone.  Does not the cruise line have some expense there?  Again, was thinking out loud.

10 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Thinking about the cost air lift someone.  Does not the cruise line have some expense there?  Again, was thinking out loud.

I suspect that expense is the passenger's problem. If there are expenses to RCI, like maybe fuel to divert the ship, if they don't want to eat that cost, or somehow write it off, I would think that they would need their own insurance policy.

The proposal to the VP was before cruising was suspended and probably as an means to keep the ships going.  They also proposed at the same time closing all Italian ports to cruises.  Now that basically all cruises is suspended, I am sure they will open with some new rules that may or may not go away in time.  

The CDC did not, and can not, mandate this change.  This came from the CLIA.

I do wonder how many of the growing number of ship diversions are due to people with preexisting conditions that maybe should not have been cruising in the first place.

3 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

No but I've missed many Ports over the yrs as we speed u, turn around or go to Port we were not supposed to getting Emergency Patient ashore. Most time wont use Helo. I'd say 2 times out of 40+Emergencies in last 30+ yrs of Cruising. This before CV, totally different situation now, worse

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

I'll think our loud too.

It is possible that many (younger)  families ( unfortunately )  might be caught up in the massive lay offs and  might not have the money or vacation time to travel.   

Stay home and stay safe.

M

21 hours ago, baldilocks said:

I just sent an email to RCI about the note. Let's see what they say. It must be remembered that the note must be signed within seven days of the sailing. That could be hard if you are doing a vacation before the cruise.

I sent an email about 2 weeks ago on the same subject but have not heard back yet.....they probably have a million inquiries about this.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I suspect that expense is the passenger's problem. If there are expenses to RCI, like maybe fuel to divert the ship, if they don't want to eat that cost, or somehow write it off, I would think that they would need their own insurance policy.

Our friend was air lifted from a  ship last year. As far as I know,  they were not responsible for any kind of extra ship/fuel costs. 
m

2 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Our friend was air lifted from a  ship last year. As far as I know,  they were not responsible for any kind of extra ship/fuel costs. 
m

I wasn't implying the passenger would  be held liable for those expenses. That is why I said the cruise line would absorb those costs. The passenger would be responsible for the evacuation itself.