Royal calling in serenade

10 hours ago, mek said:

If there isn't any illness on board why can't the ship simply cruise around for a few extra days?  That would be better than just going back to the US. I'm sure they have enough supplies for that. What am I missing?

Because every extra day they spend at sea risks the home port closing down and the ship having to find somewhere else to dock just as happened to several ships in San Juan yesterday. Also airline travel could be severely hindered in the coming days. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3

Knowing what I know now, I would not have gotten off Serenade in the Nassau! 

We just returned from the March 2 sailing of Serenade.  We were on vacation and decided to disconnect!  Not until day 10 of our cruise did we realize what was going on in states. Passengers were getting e-mails that they could not return to work since they had been out of the country! At first I did believe that we were all over-reacting.  When we arrived at Fort Lauderdale airport I was shocked at the number of people getting flights out.  Again, I didn't realize that the mayor had declared a "state of emergency".  it wasn't until our 2nd day home that reality of how our travels affected our family hit me.  We were in 5 countries and interacted with many people from throughout the world on our travels.  Many people on our ship were from other countries.  Once I wrapped that around in my head my husband and I are now self-quarantined. I was shocked that Serenade left port on the day we returned, March 13.  By March 27 I hope to be healthy and well - and I will feel better about our decision. Good luck to everyone and may you all return home safely!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, islandwannabee said:

Arrivied in Nassau and people are getting off, looks like a beautiful day, there are 2 other ships here right now. Regent and now sure cant see other one, Maybe celebrity.

And when you get back there won't be any screening at the ports either.  

Corporate Arrogance. 

You are a walking wallet and nothing else to these companies 

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

And when you get back there won't be any screening at the ports either.  

Corporate Arrogance. 

You are a walking wallet and nothing else to these companies 

I’m not sure why you seem to have an attitude with me, I don’t even know you, just passing on some info, to whover is interest, didn’t mean to upset you.

8 minutes ago, islandwannabee said:

I’m not sure why you seem to have an attitude with me, I don’t even know you, just passing on some info, to whover is interest, didn’t mean to upset you.

There is no attitude towards you at all.  SOrry if it came across like that.  That's just my read of the situation

3 hours ago, bigeck said:

Sorry, I thought I read on Cc that the port was closed

On 3/15/2020 at 9:44 AM, Suzcruz57 said:

So sorry to hear! How empty is the ship? Hope you get a full refund!

Just now, peggyann said:

Anyone on board now? Could you tell me if the ship will be leaving port of Nassau tonight? Would appreciate any info about the immediate plans fo the Serenade to return to FLL.

4 minutes ago, peggyann said:

Anyone on board now? Could you tell me if the ship will be leaving port of Nassau tonight? Would appreciate any info about the immediate plans fo the Serenade to return to FLL.

According to Marine traffic, it is heading towards Florida.

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Because every extra day they spend at sea risks the home port closing down and the ship having to find somewhere else to dock just as happened to several ships in San Juan yesterday. Also airline travel could be severely hindered in the coming days. 

Airlines on my mind also, hope not coming but you're right it could. I'm in AZ now but need get to MI at end of April for Doc/Scripts. 

Just got off the Serenade Friday. It was a great cruise - staff were cleaning everywhere continually.  Feel sorry for them - really busting their butts trying to keep passengers safe and happy.  

Surprised they sailed again, but at the time (only a few days ago), ports were accepting ships - no one is really to blame - this whole pandemic is setting new rules for everyone almost hourly.  Met a lot of B2B cruisers and several from Europe, Australia and Canada. Many were here on extended vacations and had planned trips to Disney, Vegas, etc.

Personally feel fine, but choosing to stay home, and monitoring myself. I am retired, which helps, but not many places open any way.  Prayers for all those affected in any way. 

23 hours ago, mek said:

If there isn't any illness on board why can't the ship simply cruise around for a few extra days?  That would be better than just going back to the US. I'm sure they have enough supplies for that. What am I missing?

Imo either rcl doesnt want to take their chances and end up with a problem or our government asked to bring back travelers since they are talking about shutting down domestic flights.

32 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Imo either rcl doesnt want to take their chances and end up with a problem or our government asked to bring back travelers since they are talking about shutting down domestic flights.

Well today that is a real possibility, so that makes sense.

Fll port website says you have arrived this morning. Are you disembarking now?

from that website on March 15

Port Everglades Advisory (March 15, 2020)

The Department, through an extensive epidemiological investigation, has identified multiple, positive COVID-19 cases that are connected and associated with Port Everglades in Broward County, Florida.

• The Department recommends all individuals experiencing symptoms who have recently traveled through Port Everglades to immediately contact their CHD or health care provider and self-isolate for 14 Days.”