Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

2 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

So arrivals increasing - what about departures did it say??
No plans of course to go anywhere (who would right now) just curious 🤔

Heard nothing re departures, although youcan fly out with an exemption. 11,000 did in the past 9 months, business, compassionate grounds, medical treat ment, holiday over 3 months duration and more.

Just reading on Princess board of cc, daily covid cases, ie positive tests are trending upwards in 26 states of usa, that is alarming as they have been vaxxing for a couple of months.

2 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

The 6th of April is when NZ is expected to announce the opening of its border to direct flights between OZ. How long before direct cruising?

"On 22 March, Prime Minister Ardern said that travellers can expect an announcement on potential border openings on April 6. She said that the travel bubble will likely open New Zealand to select states and territories. " Source

"On Sunday evening Australia amended its Biosecurity Act allowing people who have been in Australia for at least 14 days to go to New Zealand without having to apply for an exemption to leave the country." Source

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Just reading on Princess board of cc, daily covid cases, ie positive tests are trending upwards in 26 states of usa, that is alarming as they have been vaxxing for a couple of months.

Yes, alarming but not surprising. It will get even worse with spring break coming up.

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

The 8 April date is for Victoria accepting international arrivals again. It doesn't mean the Australia border is open yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Copied Julie and Adrian, never just take in the headlines like me. Read the small print.🤢

Especially these days as some headline writers don't seem to read the small print either, they just create something that will be eye catching even if it only loosely resembles the actual story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Especially these days as some headline writers don't seem to read the small print either, they just create something that will be eye catching even if it only loosely resembles the actual story.

I am a bit like that here on CC, read the title, don't read the small print and go off half cocked, as it were.🥵

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Porky55 said:

I follow another thread on CC - Vaccine Required - and someone posted this Travel Insurance document re - Princess Cruises requirement to cruise from the UK:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2774227-vaccine-required/

8ADEB706-C033-4757-8E95-356F2BF87013.jpeg

Would anyone want to go on a cruise with these requirements?  Probably good sense, but not fun. 

We were going to go to the movies this afternoon.  With the new virus case of unknown origin in Brisbane, we decided not to go.  Just a precaution, but we don't need to go to movies.  Same with cruises, I'd like to go on a cruise, but I don't need to go on a cruise.  There is an outdoor family concert on Easter Sunday which is looking more attractive.  

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Nor do many of those who write comments about the article on media websites, as they just read the headlines and can be completely wrong.

35 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I am a bit like that here on CC, read the title, don't read the small print and go off half cocked, as it were.🥵

We've noticed. 😝

Never mind, we luv you anyway!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, lyndarra said:

So the last few weeks Mexicans have been scoffing donuts under false pretenses?😁

11 hours ago, NSWP said:

Govt has announced international air travel will commence 8 April. Max of 800 arrivals a week. Not sure if quarantine is required.

11 hours ago, NSWP said:

Govt has announced international air travel will commence 8 April. Max of 800 arrivals a week. Not sure if quarantine is required.

One would hope they quarantine BEFORE they get on a flight and then after or am I too harsh.

Cheers Carole

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elorac123 said:

One would hope they quarantine BEFORE they get on a flight and then after or am I too harsh.

Cheers Carole

Probably too harsh. Most of those people have been trying to get back to Australia for months. They've had flight after flight cancelled so it would be unfair to expect them to quarantine prior to boarding the flight as they won't know until they are on the plane whether that flight is the real one that will get them home. Some of them are probably living in situations where quarantine would be impossible, and many would be short of money by now so hotel quarantine before the flight wouldn't be feasible.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

In a fit of hitherto unseen optimism we have booked a cruise!  December 2022, Viking (first time ever), SYD-AKL.  I wanted to go that way because if the sht hits the fan and we are offloaded at least I'm already home.

Also, have Celebrity cruise booked in Jan (lift n shift) from Jan 2021.  Supposed to be up to the islands but I'm thinking that Celebrity might follow Carnival and change the itinerary to Aus ports only.  Then IF the bubble if successful and IF the cruise lines are permitted to homeport ships in Aus and IF they are allowed to go to NZ, everything will be fine.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It really does depend on the personal situations for some of these people but many of these Aussies ' trapped overseas' are there of their own accord and now find they cannot return due to not wanting to pay the high costs.

And once covid settles down in uk, if it ever does, these repatriated people will be flying back to their high paid jobs. So those still awaiting a flight may as well stay there.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

Cheers Carole

With you Carole!

WHO IS coming in to Australia right now?? Seeing we can’t leave without HEAPS of hassle!!

Edited by Porky55
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

Cheers Carole

Who would supervise the two weeks quarantine before they boarded a flight back to Australia? 

Leigh

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

And once covid settles down in uk, if it ever does, these repatriated people will be flying back to their high paid jobs. So those still awaiting a flight may as well stay there.

That is assuming the job still exists. These people are mostly working on contracts so when the job is finished they no longer can work. To be fair I don't think anyone expected it to go this long. I remember last year Scott Morrison saying by August there will be travel bubbles🙄. With advice like that from your country's leader of course you are not going to leave😒

One of the main issues, other than restricted numbers allowed into Australia each week, is lack of flights and, more importantly, lack of affordable seats. Business people who get exemption to travel overseas, and whose companies pay business class fare, are taking up places on their return so that stranded returnees can't get flights. There have been cases of economy class passengers being bumped at the last minute in favour of business class travellers.

There are many reasons why Australians travel overseas for something that is not a holiday: some are tranferred there by the company they work for, some go overseas to increase their skills or learn new skills, some go overseas for family reasons, some go overseas to study or do research, some go overseas for the experience of living in a completely different culture for a year or so. 

When the Australian border closed the number of flights to Australia was seriously reduced and caps on arrivals due to quarantine constraints also added to the problem. It's easy to say "those people should have come home earlier" but many may have been in circumstances where they couldn't just pack up and go and now some of those people are stranded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's easy to say "those people should have come home earlier" but many may have been in circumstances where they couldn't just pack up and go and now some of those people are stranded.

When I was flying back from Tokyo I met some passengers who had been working there and they described the process of hastily packing up their things and one girl said she pretty much left everything behind but she was lucky as she had a landlord that was kind enough to mail things back to her and even deal with selling her car, yet despite this she nearly missed her flight because she caught the flu and had to get a Covid test to retain her seat.

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

Who would supervise the two weeks quarantine before they boarded a flight back to Australia? 

Leigh

Hopefully everyone has had the vaccine, think I read a few of the airlines are making it mandatory for overseas flights ?

Cheers Carole