Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

12 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Not an expert here, but doesn't stop many others 🙂

I think it will be at least well into 2021 before any normality in international travel resumes, and the regulations will make it very unattractive for travelers, unless for imperative reasons. At some point I believe the quarantine for arrivals will become at the travelers expense. Why should taxpayers continue to pay for costs for non-essential travel of others.

For example, Fiji have just announced that travelers arriving there will have to be quarantined for 28 days, with all costs to be borne by the traveler. No point in going to Fiji for a week, if you have to pay for another month!

I suggest that there may be some scope for domestic cruising (Aussies only) from perhaps Jan '21, but the 'keeness' for cruising will be impacted by need for medical clearance and the travel insurance conundrum (that will be kicker for me). For cruises to Sth Pacific Islands, I can't see that before the 'regular' season starting Sept/Oct 2021, and I think that's optimistic.

We are extra keen cruisers, who had expected to continue to average at least 2 cruises per year for the next many years, but I think that this is all less likely in the short/medium term. Our experience with insurance on recent/current cruise bookings is enough to put me off. 

Very sad times.

There’s talk about a free movement zone mr Walker.

New Zealand has suggested opening travel across the Tasman.

If they work that out I think we could see a fairly normal cruise season.

13 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Maybe our cruise to NZ in November might go ahead - if Australia lets cruise ships back into the country.

16 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

But without the travellers from outside Australia/NZ who probably account for 30-40% of bookings.

16 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Trans Tasman is almost an essential . Australians flying over to the ski fields and Kiwis heading for some winter sun .

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe our cruise to NZ in November might go ahead - if Australia lets cruise ships back into the country.

I think so the ships are already quarantined,they just need clean  crew .

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But without the travellers from outside Australia/NZ who probably account for 30-40% of bookings.

I think the cruise line will take any revenue.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I don't see cruises being in that mix somehow. 

• Like 1

We received an email with some great specials from P&O, but don't feel like booking at the moment while we have money outstanding with them and also with Princess. After our refunds appear in our bank account and there is an indication travel restrictions will be lifted somewhat, we will be ready to book.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 7:41 AM, MicCanberra said:

There will definitely be different boarding and debarkation processes

From Sky News. Maybe something like this?

"Mining giant Rio Tinto has revealed plans to take blood tests from fly-in-fly-out workers at Perth Airport. All workers will have a small sample taken by finger pinprick before they can board flights to mining sites. The TGA approved COVID-19 test kits take a few minutes to show a result and those who are cleared receive a wristband. The screenings will be conducted in a makeshift medical facility at the airport, by 115 laid-off theatre nurses."

Edited by By The Bay

12 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

"Mining giant Rio Tinto has revealed plans to take blood tests from fly-in-fly-out workers at Perth Airport. All workers will have a small sample taken by finger pinprick before they can board flights to mining sites. The TGA approved COVID-19 test kits take a few minutes to show a result and those who are cleared receive a wristband. The screenings will be conducted in a makeshift medical facility at the airport, by 115 laid-off theatre nurses."

Such an interesting concept. I haven't heard of this test it could be helpful, unfortunately it could also be a huge breech of privacy laws. Blood samples are a touchy subject, because information could be mis-used. DNA databases are a powerful thing in the wrong hands.

52 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Is this the antibody test or for a positive to COvid? Such tests may unlock the future of travel. 

Interesting comment, not Australia or New Zealand first.

"CARNIVAL Corp Chief Executive Officer Arnold Donald has said China may be among the first countries to cruise again, as the COVID-19 pandemic eases. Although he isn’t sure where said Chinese cruises would go, Donald said it might be possible, as it is one of the first countries to resume some forms of social gathering." Source: Cruise Weekly

Edited by By The Bay

I see RC are offering bag storage for $26 a day  on disembarkation.

On the cruise planner it said the storage is 350 meters from OPT.
Where would that be ? The clock tower at the rocks isn’t that far.

Also they can Organization transport after your day of adventure.

Edited by Chiliburn

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I see RC are offering bag storage for $26 a day  on disembarkation.

On the cruise planner it said the storage is 350 meters from OPT.
Where would that be ? The clock tower at the rocks isn’t that far.

Also they can Organization transport after your day of adventure.

Umm. Confusen?

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Umm. Confusen?

What is confusing.

Royal Carribean is offering baggage storage after your cruise.

I haven’t seen it offered in Australia,maybe we are catching up with the world.

Some US ports such as Seattle offer cabin to your final destination service 

Edited by Chiliburn

20 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

What is confusing.

Royal Carribean is offering baggage storage after your cruise.

I haven’t seen it offered in Australia,maybe we are catching up with the world.

Some US ports such as Seattle offer cabin to your final destination service 

I think what is confusing is what this has to do with when cruises will restart. It feels like your post should be on different thread because it doesn't fit in with any discussion on this thread unless you are suggesting that RC offering baggage storage is a sign they will restart cruising soon? 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I think what is confusing is what this has to do with when cruises will restart. It feels like your post should be on different thread because it doesn't fit in with any discussion on this thread unless you are suggesting that RC offering baggage storage is a sign they will restart cruising soon? 

So what you’re saying it’s off topic ?

I would start a new topic but I’m to lazy.

Edited by Chiliburn