Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

True. Any future prediction of events posted here here are just opinion, educated, qualified or otherwise. We really have nothing concrete to go on as this infection may have some future surprise in store for us. Only time will tell. Only time.

Your orange "friend" over the border would has been and is a cause for concern.

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

True. Any future prediction of events posted here here are just opinion, educated, qualified or otherwise. We really have nothing concrete to go on as this infection may have some future surprise in store for us. Only time will tell. Only time.

Your orange "friend" over the border would has been and is a cause for concern.

Please, that particular individual has been a concern ever since he started. I will not comment on him again as I wouldn't want to be censured again. 

On 4/13/2020 at 10:36 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Leigh

Well I opened a new thread called "now for something completely different" and frankly I was hoping you would chime in.

As it turns out we are fans of 2 Australian TV shows, Miss Fisher and Dr. Blake and found the locations were quite interesting. The reason why we are doing it that way is because we want to see a bit of Australia. We are renting a car in Melbourne. If you would like to shift to the other thread that would be cool.

Cheers, Lyle

Did you know that they recently released a Miss Fisher movie?

33 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Our Government hasn't put a time line either, but I doubt it will last 6 months. We have pretty strict quarantine rules here and with further clarification this week the rules will be enforced by the RCMP and offenders will be arrested and subject to a fine of as much as $1,000,000.00 (yes you read that right)

I have enjoyed the many realistic comments by so many posters from down under, key word realistic. To me "ludicrously  optimistic" is less than 3 months. Realistic is a little open ended, 3 to six months for domestic travel and International travel by late November. Keep in mind I believe this same time line for Canada and we share the longest undefended border in the world with the biggest Covid 19 outbreak in the world. I have seen some posts from a few people that offer ridiculous prophecies of the sky falling and that this will go on for years, this I feel is ludicrously pessimistic.

Australia appears to be a few months away from completely eliminating CV-19 from the population.  They are not going to undo all of that good work by re-opening the borders and allowing overseas travellers to enter the country in the same old unrestricted way that they used to.

If/when they do re-open the borders, arrivals will either need to provide proof of CV-19 immunisation, or they will be placed in 2 weeks quarantine (as is happening now).  Vaccine testing takes 12-18 months, assuming that a vaccine even exists (there's no vaccine for SARS or MERS, which are also coronaviruses), so there's 0% chance of that being available before your trip next February.

Right now there is no roadmap for how or when the Aus Govt will re-open the borders.  They are quite rightly focussed on eliminating CV-19 and then re-opening Australia domestically.  Re-opening the international border is a very distant priority, and they will have to be very, very, careful when the eventually choose to do so.

It is extremely unlikely that Australia's international borders will be re-opening before your planned trip in February.

My suggestion - move your trip to Feb 2022, as your chances of being allowed entry to Australia would be much greater by then.

Besides trying to find a vaccine, work is also proceeding in finding an effective treatment of COVID-19. Many viruses have no vaccine but effective treatments. HIV comes to mind as one virus that has no vaccine but effective treatment. Time will tell how this virus is controlled.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

We know about the movie and the plot line but haven't seen a release. I will have a look for the blue ray when the video store opens again.

You might have to go online. It did have a cinema run starting end of February, not sure it even got to the end of its run before cinemas were forced to close, but chances are like Disney they probably put it online to recoup the loss from the cinema closures.

In terms of a trip to Australia it will also be dependent on what facilities will still be around when the border does reopen. While I don't think there is anything wrong with planning a trip I would not be putting any money down as who knows if those companies will still be running when this is all over. Just had a local travel agent in my suburb close up for good so not everyone is going to make it through this lock down.

Edited by ilikeanswers

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

You might have to go online. It did have a cinema run starting end of February, not sure it even got to the end of its run before cinemas were forced to close, but chances are like Disney they probably put it online to recoup the loss from the cinema closures.

I'm guessing it will be released on blue ray, I hope it is in a format I can play. Or maybe on Amazon prime. I have also been trying to get my hands on a good copy of "The Light Horsemen" that will play here. I love that movie. And The Man from Snowy River, the movie and the TV show.

22 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

It is online, not sure who through will try and find a link.

You have to make sure the link is international. Whenever I travel overseas I find a lot of local shows I may watch on streaming services aren't available in other countries because of licensing. A VPN can help but doesn't work on all streaming services. 

I'm guessing it will be released on blue ray, I hope it is in a format I can play. Or maybe on Amazon prime. I have also been trying to get my hands on a good copy of "The Light Horsemen" that will play here. I love that movie. And The Man from Snowy River, the movie and the TV show.

I have to admit I did not realise DVDs still exist😂 I haven't used them in years. I did find the extra content use to be quite interesting with all the behind the scenes stuff. You don't get that with streaming so I do kind of miss that. 

Hopefully DVDs aren't made overseas otherwise it might be a long wait before they release anything. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have to admit I did not realise DVDs still exist😂 I haven't used them in years. I did find the extra content use to be quite interesting with all the behind the scenes stuff. You don't get that with streaming so I do kind of miss that. 

Call me a luddite, I was even happy that my brand new car has a CD player. That being said I like technology at work, we have quite a bit at my work CNC controlled machinery, We have a wide belt sander worth $220,000.00 and a really nice CNC controlled shaper that I use alot. When it comes to audio I like vintage I have a bunch of B&O stuff I bought new in the 80s.

Call me a luddite, I was even happy that my brand new car has a CD player. That being said I like technology at work, we have quite a bit at my work CNC controlled machinery, We have a wide belt sander worth $220,000.00 and a really nice CNC controlled shaper that I use alot. When it comes to audio I like vintage I have a bunch of B&O stuff I bought new in the 80s.

The old joke was Bang was the sound they made just after warranty ran out, and Olufsun was the Scandinavian swear word  most heard when that happened. Actually quite good gear in my opinion although I prefer the "Up Front" sound of Yamaha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Ok ,I just got the tail end of it ? On the radio?

The tourism minister said cruise bookings are through the roof for the coming season.

Did anyone hear that ?

Cruise here we come!!!

I was told today that the Financial Review has an article saying that cruise bookings for next years are much higher than previously.

Big lays offs announced in the States from Royal Caribbean . Mainly in South Florida but it will have effects worldwide. 

Royal Caribbean laysoff or furloughs 26% of its employees

link to this report won’t work ,but google has many others links

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

35 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Though not evident from their website. You can still book cruises to Europe and the Caribbean amongst others, for next month...

Man, that's optimistic. Considering the center of the epidemic still has their ports closed.