Refund, Future Credit or Rebook?

Javert1969

Hi all,

I'd be interested to know what people are generally doing and why on the choices available?

We were thinking of taking the credit, but the concern is the risk of P&O going bankrupt and/or prices going up significantly.  An extra 25% is nice, but then if the prices miraculously go up by 25% it doesn't mean much.

For anyone who has opted for a refund, did you get the money straight away?  If they are waiting on proof of medical condition that might take a while and they can use that to keep your cash for as long as possible?

Rebooking now carries the advantage that you don't have to worry about future price increases.

The other question I guess is whether your money would be covered by your credit card company if you paid on a credit card and they went bust.

The saying " A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" springs to mind. We will certainly take the refund and not rely on future maybes. We will not be out of pocket and no future possible hassle if P&O folds

Whilst unlikely, it is possible that Carnival may well end up in serious financial difficulties.  If cruising is cancelled for longer than 60 days the risk of that happening obviously increases.  I cannot see any reason why this episode will be fixed in 60 days, we are roughly that distance from the start in China and it is now a much worse situation with many saying there is worse to come.

If you are entitled to a refund then you are gambling the amount of that refund to win 25% extra if everything returns to normal.  If someone asked you to gamble £2000 on a clearly risky circumstance would you feel £500 was enough compensation for the risk?

I also cannot see the prices of cruises being anything other than cheaper in the next few years.  There has been some awful publicity which will deter new cruisers for a decent length of time.  P & O do have some history in underhanded procedures so perhaps they will introduce a “fcc price” which is approx 25% higher than the saver fare....

I'd take the cash. Far too many uncertainties about the future of Carnival to risk any form of credit.

If you make a new booking with a credit card you'll get protection against any future problems, but read the small print first. For example, it's only normally the main cardholder that's covered - not a subsidiary cardholder. 

The other question is, what does the following actually mean from the P&O Website:

"We are offering you a Future Cruise Credit of 125% to the amount of your cancellation fee (with any monies remaining to be refunded) to be applied against any new booking up to the equivalent value."

In plain English, does this mean 125% of the actual cost we paid for the cruise?

I received the email but then noted it applied to British citizens only!  Why the discrimination?  My government told people over 60 not to cruise a few weeks ago, well ahead of Britain's announcement.  Why does not the policy include all nationalities?

12 minutes ago, comcox said:

I received the email but then noted it applied to British citizens only!  Why the discrimination?  My government told people over 60 not to cruise a few weeks ago, well ahead of Britain's announcement.  Why does not the policy include all nationalities?

A very fair point. Particularly as the company's American owned.

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

A very fair point. Particularly as the company's American owned.

I think the right to a refund applies to UK citizens because the FCO advice is directed at UK citizens so that's the kind of legal obligation on them I think.

But the future credit and flexibility policy still applies to everyone I think doesn't it?

• Like 1

I must say I have reservations about the future of cruise lines - I just fear some won't survive this because of a combination of a number of factors. 

For some time Companies have been going in for huge expansion by building new ships - often twice the size of those they are replacing with the inherent need to attract new customers to fill them.

Most on here are regular cruisers and when all settles down (when though?) we will hopefully resume cruising. 

But there are other problems:-

I have felt that over-capacity has been on the cards for some time and that eventually they will have trouble filling these megaships. 

Add to that the pressures on ports - there is a limit to how many cruise ships can be accommodated (look at the problems in Venice, the pressure on the cable car in Santorini, the choked streets in Dubrovnik - and so many more we could quote).   

And then the issue of pollution raises its head.  There was a very disturbing item on our local news a few days ago about air pollution in a particular location in Southampton down wind (prevailing winds) of the cruise ships whose engines are running all the time they are in port.  The particulates in the air far exceeded the WHO guidelines!  Worrying for people living there. 

This current situation can only make things so much worse for them commercially.  Having ships lying idle must be crippling for them financially and how long will that last? 

Then when they resume operations,  they have to fill far more cabins than a few years ago which means very many more customers are needed.  I think a lot of potential new customers who they were hoping to attract will now have pause for thought about cruising as a holiday option.  It will almost certainly slow down the 'conversion' of holidaymakers to cruising. 

It's all very depressing and I'd be very sad to see any company fold, but I can't see how all the cruise lines can weather this storm.

We have transferred our booking to next year but that was only a low deposit so not a huge risk and we took the view that it was worth it to secure a cabin and at a price which may increase later.  But had I paid in full I would definitely get as much back in cash as the T&Cs allow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yep we're in the same boat (pardon the expression) as @kruzseeka

Our cruise is(was) R012 on Aurora in July. The final balance payment date was looming so rather than pay that balance and take the risk and uncertainty of a FCC we have opted to transfer our booking to a cruise in August 2021.

With that move we only have our £100 deposit at risk rather than £5000ish.

We have a later (August) cruise with Viking in Alaska. I also don't see that going ahead with the recent statement from "The Leader of the Free World"

Edited by arlowood
transpose word

I have asked for refund on my Britannia cruise due to sail on 27th Mar. I have another booked in November on Regal Princess so who knows what will happen with that one. 

Reason for taking the cash is uncertainty with cruise lines future and when cruising resumes worldwide there will be bargains and I don't want to be tied to P& O.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Reason for taking the cash is uncertainty with cruise lines future and when cruising resumes worldwide there will be bargains and I don't want to be tied to P& O.

A very wise move ,being offered 25% more than what you paid is not much use if a company goes belly up.

• Like 1

I’m hoping my June cruise goes ahead, if it doesn’t I’ll take the refund. 
I refund is better than a FCC for me for a couple of reasons.
I’m happy to cruise when the peak of this pandemic is over.. that could be months or years away and as the itinerary is one on the most important things. Taking a refund means I’ll have the flexibility to go for Cunard / celebrity as an alternative and choose an itinerary that really suits me. 

• Like 1

I'm happy to take 125% FCC as a: I WILL resume cruising when it's a safe option; it's my favourite thing, and b: I always pay by credit card so even if ABTA doesn't cover me (which it will) I will reclaim from VISA.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I already cancelled my 26th April cruise 3 days ago.  40% refund and FCC for the rest.  If the cruise line goes bankrupt, I think you are covered by ABTA.  Also, I paid on my credit card.

Nothing up with that Jean as you have posted in other posts ..You are happy with that and that's all that matters .

God forbid anyone has to claim  back through credit cards but my personal choice would be my money in my pocket 

and the chance to shop around in the future.

Looking back to 2008 we were looking for a airport hotel at Manchester ,we were flying out on Christmas day and

after the market crash hotels were still in market recovery .We paid £9.00 for the night on the airport grounds .

No right or wrongs here everybody do what you think is right and chances are it will be for you .😏

I am booked onto Britannia on 19 April and although under 60, I have a heart condition and asthma, so assume my travel insurance is invalidated if I travel.  I've not called up yet because they are so busy, but am hanging on for a possible cancellation of the cruise anyway and money back.  We are hoping to do a two week cruise on Britannia next year. 

• Like 2

Dilemma time - we are booked on our first cruise ever on Iona in July. We've paid the deposit only at the moment, but payment in full is due 12 Feb. We didn't take out travel insurance at the time of booking as usually do this nearer the time of travel, now reading that travel insurance taken out now will NOT cover any issues caused by the "C" word. 

We are a young, heathy family with no underlying health issues and would, at the moment, be happy to go on the cruise if it departs as advertised (especially with the extra £400 OBC provided 😉

To pay or not to pay, that is the question 

I don't think that cruise will go on 19th April any more than the one I have cancelled on the 26th.  This thing will be in full swing and much worse by then.

I am slightly suirprised that P&O haven't cancelled all cruises up to a certain date like some of the other cruiselines.

I will take the refund for 2 reasons.

1. What if P&O goes bust? FCC is worthless in that situation

2. Given the number of people cancelling (voluntarily or otherwise) and receiving FCC that is a lot of extra cruise bookings to take when things settle down thus putting up demand and, in all probability, prices wiping out your 25% extra credit.

35 minutes ago, newbie cruissy said:

Dilemma time - we are booked on our first cruise ever on Iona in July. We've paid the deposit only at the moment, but payment in full is due 12 Feb. We didn't take out travel insurance at the time of booking as usually do this nearer the time of travel, now reading that travel insurance taken out now will NOT cover any issues caused by the "C" word. 

We are a young, heathy family with no underlying health issues and would, at the moment, be happy to go on the cruise if it departs as advertised (especially with the extra £400 OBC provided 😉

To pay or not to pay, that is the question 

If payment date was 12th February then surely you have already missed the deadline?

41 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

I will take the refund for 2 reasons.

1. What if P&O goes bust? FCC is worthless in that situation

2. Given the number of people cancelling (voluntarily or otherwise) and receiving FCC that is a lot of extra cruise bookings to take when things settle down thus putting up demand and, in all probability, prices wiping out your 25% extra credit.

Agreed. And there's almost certainly no ABTA or credit card cover for credits issued by a company that subsequently goes under, though some seem to think there is.

1 hour ago, Flowerpower22 said:

I am booked onto Britannia on 19 April and although under 60, I have a heart condition and asthma, so assume my travel insurance is invalidated if I travel.  I've not called up yet because they are so busy, but am hanging on for a possible cancellation of the cruise anyway and money back.  We are hoping to do a two week cruise on Britannia next year. 

According to the P&O website you can already get a refund if you have athma, as it's specifically listed in the FCO website advice.  However you'll need to provide evidence of the health condition to get the refund, whereas if the whole cruise is cancelled you won't need to faff about getting a letter from GP or whatever.

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Agreed. And there's almost certainly no ABTA or credit card cover for credits issued by a company that subsequently goes under, though some seem to think there is.

That's actually a good point which crossed my mind as well.  If the cruise was cancelled and the company went bust before they refunded you, you would probably be covered on credit card and/or ABTA.  However, if you have voluntarily accepted a credit but not yet booked a specific further cruise, they might try to argue that it's not covered.  I'm not sure of the legal situation there but you might face a fight to get the money from a CC company.

• Like 1