Refund, Future Credit or Rebook?

Javert1969

Now that over 70s cannot cruise, it is unlikely that the adult only ships will be able to run a viable cruise even if there were any ports to cruise to! The majority of their guests are over 70. The family ships might still be fairly full, but will still have no ports of call.

Am I missing something?

We are due to pay our final balance by 22nd March for Iona in June. What happens to our deposit if we cancel by 22nd March? Yes, the New Interim Policy says that until 91 days before departure (ie until the full balance is due) a FCC is given to the value of the deposit but in the heading to that column it states assuming cruise paid for in full by required date.

How does that work??

48 minutes ago, Hartswood said:

Am I missing something?

We are due to pay our final balance by 22nd March for Iona in June. What happens to our deposit if we cancel by 22nd March? Yes, the New Interim Policy says that until 91 days before departure (ie until the full balance is due) a FCC is given to the value of the deposit but in the heading to that column it states assuming cruise paid for in full by required date.

How does that work??

You can't run past your due date without paying the balance and then ask for credit. 

In simple terms, you need to inform them before the 90 days or pay for your cruise. 

Andy 

When I had to Cancel our cruise my TA got the money back from P&O and paid it back to my credit card.

A week later I had to phone the credit card  to get them to return the money into my bank account.

They just held it as credit to my card until I requested a refund from the card to my account .

22 hours ago, newbie cruissy said:

Dilemma time - we are booked on our first cruise ever on Iona in July. We've paid the deposit only at the moment, but payment in full is due 12 Feb. We didn't take out travel insurance at the time of booking as usually do this nearer the time of travel, now reading that travel insurance taken out now will NOT cover any issues caused by the "C" word. 

We are a young, heathy family with no underlying health issues and would, at the moment, be happy to go on the cruise if it departs as advertised (especially with the extra £400 OBC provided 😉

To pay or not to pay, that is the question 

Seems this decision will be taken out of our hands. FCO advise to avoid all but essential travel to Norway, so travel insurance would be void anyway. Unless that changes in the next 4 weeks will have to cancel,  take deposit as FCC and maybe rebook nearer the time if the situation improves. 

I have a cruise booked in June 1st on Ventura. I havent heard a thing from P&O at all. I've not received the email everyone is on about. It looks like there wont be any ports to stop in anyway. I booked through a TA (tui), do I cancel via them, or via P&O? Also it looks like i can cancel (under 70) rather than postpone because my wife has early onset Alzheimers which I think qualifies as a chronic neurological  disease. Paid on  credit  card aswell for extra cover.

26 minutes ago, UncleZen said:

I have a cruise booked in June 1st on Ventura. I havent heard a thing from P&O at all. I've not received the email everyone is on about. It looks like there wont be any ports to stop in anyway. I booked through a TA (tui), do I cancel via them, or via P&O? Also it looks like i can cancel (under 70) rather than postpone because my wife has early onset Alzheimers which I think qualifies as a chronic neurological  disease. Paid on  credit  card aswell for extra cover.

We are the same. We're booked on Iona for 30 May and never heard a thing. It'll get sorted out in due course. You have to deal via TA.

Has anyone contacted P&O via the "Contact Us" form on the website? If so, did you get an email confirmation that your message had been submitted? Bit concerned it didn't go through but don't want to submit it again when they're so snowed under if that's normal!

8 hours ago, Javert1969 said:

If you don't have enough other spending on your credit card to absorb the credit, I guess you have to call them and ask them to transfer the money back to your bank.

I had a large amount of monies returned to my credit card from World Cup final tickets when England lost in the semi final. As I had no outstanding balance it just showed up as a minus figure which I used up over a period of time.

We are due to sail on May 7th Oceana out of Malta.  I notice that TUI is not being allowed to fly into Malta and they have suspended flights to it.  I am planning on waiting to see if our May 7th Cruise is cancelled.  I am sure it will be, in which case I will apply for a full refund.  My question is regarding our seat bookings which we have paid for on both outbound and inbound flights.  Does anyone know if that payment would be included in the refund?  I cannot find anywhere on the flights section to cancel the seat bookings, only to change your seat.

1 hour ago, livinforcruisin said:

My question is regarding our seat bookings which we have paid for on both outbound and inbound flights.  Does anyone know if that payment would be included in the refund?  I cannot find anywhere on the flights section to cancel the seat bookings, only to change your seat.

One of the questions on the refund claim form is "Amount paid for your cruise booking (rounded to the nearest pound) including any flights and hotels booked through P&O Cruises (excluding any pre-purchased on-board experiences)" so I included it in the total amount we're claiming back. It doesn't explicitly say seat bookings though so will have to wait and see. 

Edited by HappyGiraffe

Has anyone had any success in getting a simple refund of deposit or transfer to existing booking rather than FCC?

I ask as we're due to go on Britannia in August with a number of friends (linked bookings) who meet the criteria for cancellation (over 70, existing conditions) so it's likely that they will have to cancel.

Our problem is that we have 7 cruises booked and cannot really book another one between now and March 2022!  Our preference depending on the outcome with our friends may be to cancel and ideally obtain a refund.  Otherwise we stand to lose our deposit or just blow it on a 2 nighter.

Has anyone else that cancelled their cruise because of the e-mail on Friday about the FO advice for over 70s not cruising received an incorrect cancellation invoice.

We cancelled, were told we had a full refund but when the cancellation invoice arrived just after it was charging us half the amount in cancellation charges. We can’t afford to lose that much money. 

Very worried now.

11 minutes ago, amajaa said:

Has anyone else that cancelled their cruise because of the e-mail on Friday about the FO advice for over 70s not cruising received an incorrect cancellation invoice.

We cancelled, were told we had a full refund but when the cancellation invoice arrived just after it was charging us half the amount in cancellation charges. We can’t afford to lose that much money. 

Very worried now.

Was this direct or though T/A?

It was direct from P & O as the original booking was with Thomas Cook. They never mentioned the invoice would be incorrect . I have been on the phone for 5 hours now, dinner is now in the bin. Not happy. 

Hols4

Cancelled out cruise today and was also told I would get an e mail with a cancellation fee on and to ignore it which I have. I shouldn't sorry about it you will get your money.

Hi, unfortunately we cancelled our May cruise last week and opted for a 50% refund and 50% fcc, possibly not the right option but only time will tell.

My question is, if anyone has done the same, have you received your cash refund yet as just checked with card company and no money has been transferred from P&O to my account yet. I know its early days yet and that P&O are in a difficult position, just wondering if anyone received the cash refund  into their accounts.

Stay safe everyone and lets hope this doesn't cripple the cruise industry that we all love.

I am afraid it will take time because of the unprecedented amount of cancellations in the pipeline. You cannot expect normal times for reimbursement in the current climate. There are some on here saying thaat the law states 14days for refunds but you have got to be realistic in expecting things to take longer as I said in current conditions and workload cruise lines are experiencing.

• Like 1