Regent: It’s time to do the right thing!

gr'aunt

I’m writing this in case Regent execs are monitoring the mood of Regent customers...past, present and future. Spoiler Alert: I am not an experienced Regent “cruiser”. In fact, I’ve never been on a Regent cruise. I can’t boast about how many Regent cruises I’ve been on, what my frequent cruiser status is, or how often I get insider information from my “contacts“. But, I do have a fully-paid-for (not cheap!) cruise scheduled in April. Unfortunately, the embarkation date is beyond the April 11th date that Regent believes their current suspension will end. On what alternative planet is the CEO and Board of Directors living? Covid-19 is extremely contagious and spreading worldwide. Cruise ships have been labeled “floating petri dishes” by some news media. No one in their right mind wants to get on a transcontinental flight or embark on a possible cruise-to-nowhere right now. I don’t believe this sentiment will suddenly evaporate on April 11th. 

Yesterday, I received an email from the hotel in Spain where I was booked for two nights pre-cruise. The hotel is now closed until the end of April. Meaning: no where to stay. The death toll in Spain is climbing. Yet, Regent has not cancelled cruises beginning and ending in Spain past April 11th. Today, a Level 4 travel alert was issued by the US State Department. The death toll in Italy has exceeded China’s. 

Today, the Governor of my home state of California issued more far-reaching social-distancing rules as the Covid-19 virus continues to multiply exponentially. The computer models suggest that if we can’t stop this virus NOW, 52% of our millions of residents are at risk of catching this highly contagious virus. Do you really want this potential exposure on your ship?

The sound of silence from Regent is disturbing to me. My TA has no updates. The Regent website hasn’t changed. People who have some pretty serious decisions to make for next month (and beyond) need to know what’s really being discussed in the halls and offices of Regent. I purchased Regent Air with deviation so I could go to Barcelona early. But now I don’t have a hotel. Why should I even go through the exasperation of trying to find a new one (pssst-Spain is closed!) if the cruise will actually (eventually) be cancelled, but nobody in charge wants to admit it just yet? And please, don’t anyone reading this bother to bully me into the voucher option. Isn't that what the 48 hour time limit to take a voucher is all about? I purchased a cruise. Not a voucher. If I can’t take a safe cruise with the advertised luxury experience on board included, I just want my money back. 

Regent: do the right thing! Follow the example of other cruise lines who have actually admitted there will be no cruising until at least June! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We are not going to find out "what is being discussed in the halls and offices of Regent"...but I would be willing to bet when your trip is cancelled you will get the option of 100% refund or 125% FCC. Regent has a solid track record of doing the right thing.

Until then, take a deep breath and worry about more important things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

We are not going to find out "what is being discussed in the halls and offices of Regent"...but I would be willing to bet when your trip is cancelled you will get the option of 100% refund or 125% FCC. Regent has a solid track record of doing the right thing.

Until then, take a deep breath and worry about more important things.

My breathing is fine, thank you. Seriously...worry about more important things? I’m hardly wringing my hands or gnashing my teeth. I know better than to get into any kind of meaningful conversation with veteran “posters” on this board. There’s a lot of people who read the comments but never say a word...and for good reason. My post is for them. I’ll be quiet now. That should make the 20 regulars happy campers. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You have been here almost 10 years longer than I have and have almost 50% more posts. I am hardly a veteran. My experience is as a passenger. I have never seen or heard of Regent not making good on something. When you posted here you invited responses. Mine is based on personal experience. You should take it with a grain of salt because my past experience is no guarantee of future performance...but my experience is still a data point for your consideration. My guess is they will cancel your trip and refund your money. 

Our final payment is due the end of March....  our Baltic Cruise is the end of June.  I can't imagine it going out or if it does ,hitting all of the planned ports.  We're brand new to Regent, brand new to cruising.  We are trying to decide what to do.  Pay the money, hope for the best?  Or lose what we've paid so far and look at doing something else with it. 

We are also in California, have been on lock down all week, and just a few hours ago our governor just put the whole state on lockdown. 

I do agree with gr'aunt that an update and/or decision for cruises in April/May/June would be helpful ( added  the extra months to include ours) given recent events.  I know they are flying blind as are the rest of us.....  but even a ....  Hey we are working on what we're going to do and just hang in there...

• Like 1

gr'aunt,

You received that email from your Barcelona hotel because yesterday the Spanish government ordered all hotels closed at the latest within a week. The government didnt specify for how long hotels will remain closed, seems like your hotel believes is at least through end of April. The Barcelona port is closed to cruise ships, at least until 3/27, but the government has already said they might extend that. I follow the Spanish press, and have friends there, Spain will be in no condition to receive tourists in less than a month. Many airlines have suspended flights there at least through May (has your airline changed your flights at all?)Given all this, I highly doubt your cruise will sail, in which case they should return 100% of your money. 

I agree, its very disingenuous for them to still offer this cruise for booking . They're doing the same thing for Canada cruises, and Canada has already said they're not opening their ports to cruise ships until July 1st

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AuntyJan said:

Our final payment is due the end of March....  our Baltic Cruise is the end of June.  I can't imagine it going out or if it does ,hitting all of the planned ports.  We're brand new to Regent, brand new to cruising.  We are trying to decide what to do.  Pay the money, hope for the best?  Or lose what we've paid so far and look at doing something else with it. 

I wouldn't pay for that cruise at this time , and then live for the next 3 months with the same uncertainty that gr'aunt is experiencing. My guess is that Europe will still be a mess and Russia not much better, Coronavirus is there and its getting worse. Just my two cents

Editing to add: if you cancel before final payment, why would you lose all the money you have paid so far?

Edited by cruiseluv
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, AuntyJan said:

You would be well advised to familiarize yourself with Regent's Cancellation Policy.  Prior to Final Payment, your penalty is only $100 per person, and that can be used as Future Cruise Credit on another cruise booked within 12 months. So at most, you'll lose only $100 per person.  I don't actually see this as much of an issue.  You don't have to sail in 12 months to get the $100 here person, only BOOK within 12 months.  So that would give you into 2023 to book a future cruise.  So you actually don NOT lose what you've paid so far.  My advice, is cancel the cruise, get a refund of all but $100 per person, and look at future cruise when this is all over.   

Here's the link to Regent's Standard Cancellation policy which you fall under:

https://www.rssc.com/media/hostedfiles/legal/US_TC.pdf

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gr'aunt said:

Regent: do the right thing! Follow the example of other cruise lines who have actually admitted there will be no cruising until at least June! 

This is an absolutely incorrect statement (unless something changed since Tues,. Mar,. 17).  Regent is definitely following the example of the other cruise lines, and has a better option than many.  Regent will allow a cancellation of up to 48 hours prior to departure for a 100% FCC on any cruise sailing through SEPT. 30.  And you have until Dec. 31, 2022 to use the FCC.  Check out the other cruise line's policies.  I'm not bullying, but it is important that you state facts and not assumptions.  

As for cancelling, I agree, your cruise likely won't go.  We have one booked in June out of Canada.  Canada has already said that their ports are closed until July 1.  However this is a very fluid time.  I have no problem with Regent waiting to see what will happen.  That is the responsible thing to do.  They won't stay in business if they cancel all cruises for months.  Sit tight.  It is VERY likely that your cruise will be cancelled and you'll be offered 100% refund or 125% FCC.  As for hotels?  Honestly, if Spain opens up again and the cruise goes, and you choose to go, I'm VERY confident that not only will you have NO problem getting rooms, but you'll likely get a much better rate as hotels try to entice people into traveling again.

Here's an article on the Covid 19 policies at other cruise lines.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-major-cruise-lines-cancellation-refund-policies-coronavirus-2020-3#po-cruises-10

Edited by papaflamingo

10 hours ago, gr'aunt said:

IMO, the present inaction by Regent is simply the result of a business decision by NCLH to limit cash outflow.

Yes, everyone knows that cruises worldwide scheduled for April, & probably most of May, cannot proceed. Government travel advice, country entry restrictions & lock-downs, airline cancellations, port closures, risk of virus transmission etc simply make these cruises untenable.

I am very surprised that CLIA has not yet extended the so-called "voluntary" suspension period now in place.

At the point that Regent cancels a cruise it is bound to offer a refund, so it makes business sense to leave that decision as late as practicable. In the meantime some guests will opt to avail themselves of 'Regent Reassurance' meaning the company holds on to their money; and the numbers eligible for a refund at the time Regent eventually cancels is reduced.

Until a cruise is cancelled by Regent it will remain "for sale". If someone is so naive & uninformed to book or upgrade an April cruise then why should Regent refuse their money?

IMO, the actions/inactions of Regent during these troubled times has nothing to do with "doing the right thing" or any form of altruism. It is simple, practical, hard-nosed business.

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

You would be well advised to familiarize yourself with Regent's Cancellation Policy.  Prior to Final Payment, your penalty is only $100 per person, and that can be used as Future Cruise Credit on another cruise booked within 12 months. So at most, you'll lose only $100 per person.

Although this is correct advice for @gr'aunt, it is not the same for Regent bookings made in all countries; the Regent booking conditions vary outside North America.

For example, for bookings made in the UK guests stand to lose their total deposit which may be up to 20% ☹️

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with gr’aunt. 
Regent should not be keeping booked passengers in limbo. I don’t want any vouchers or any FFC to use. 

We have a July 28 cruise from Copenhagen to Amsterdam. Final payment due May 29th. We have deposit.

Regent hesitates to CANCEL a cruise as then they would be refunding all that money. They want to hang on to everyone’s money. I just want my deposit back!  I don’t want to be forced to make a new booking in order not to loose any money. 

• Like 2

They CX San Diego to Mia the day before, I think they could have given more advance notice maybe because they are not FAMILY run anymore

SilverSea  stepped up right away with FULL CASH REFUNDS going into Dec 2020 sometimes a luxury line is not just the glitter up front but what goes on when things go BAD

SS full CC till May then CASH REFUNDS till DEC 2020

• Like 1

We are scheduled on the May 22nd Navigator sailing to Canada. It obviously is not going to sail on that itinerary. We would also like a refund. This was to be our first Regent cruise. I just don’t feel comfortable with a FCC. It just is not worth the risk.

Truthfully, I very much doubt that there will be any cruise ships sailing at all during the summer. I certainly could be wrong, but the scope of the virus is such a mystery. I can’t imagine countries just opening their doors to thousands of visitors. It just seems so unlikely.

• Like 2

I don't  understand how anyone the UK would want to book any cruises with REGENT. Knowing the cancelation policy for the UK and losing up to 20% deposit. I would never deal with any company that had that policy. That's insane.

After just reading what SilverSea has done I'm really annoyed. All passengers who have deposits or who have made

final payments on REGENT cruises thru September 30th are going to have credits in the thousands with Regent.

Yes... you can cancel under the REASSURANCE Program.... even up to 48 hours prior to embarkation . So what ?

You end up with Regent holding your money!!! We can only hope that Regent cancels whatever cruise you are scheduled to take and thus refunding  your money back to your credit card. Future Cruise Credits is not what I want! I'm being forced to find a

cruise to take before December 31, 2022. And now with this Medical form for those over 70 who knows who will be able to cruise. That's insane!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

I don't  understand how anyone the UK would want to book any cruises with REGENT. Knowing the cancelation policy for the UK and losing up to 20% deposit. I would never deal with any company that had that policy. That's insane.

After just reading what SilverSea has done I'm really annoyed. All passengers who have deposits or who have made

final payments on REGENT cruises thru September 30th are going to have credits in the thousands with Regent.

Yes... you can cancel under the REASSURANCE Program.... even up to 48 hours prior to embarkation . So what ?

You end up with Regent holding your money!!! We can only hope that Regent cancels whatever cruise you are scheduled to take and thus refunding  your money back to your credit card. Future Cruise Credits is not what I want! I'm being forced to find a

cruise to take before December 31, 2022. And now with this Medical form for those over 70 who knows who will be able to cruise. That's insane!!!

That's not Regent, that's UK consumer protection laws.  Regent is trying to deal with this the best they can - I've been following this pretty closely since I'm also booked on a May 28 Barcelona-Rome that we all know won't be sailing but it's still on the website.  Our TA is doing her best to keep us informed, but the situation is so fluid on a worldwide basis that it's impossible to predict when things will begin to normalize.  That's why the cruise lines are keeping their options open - wouldn't make good business sense to flat out cancel 60 or 90 days worth of cruises just have travel bans lifted in 30 or 45 days...they're all going to need to ramp up as fast as they can as soon as they can in order to stay afloat (pun intended).

We looked at slipping our May cruise until July but it wasn't in our best interest to do that, so we're going to wait until Regent cancels the May cruise and then either take the refund or FCC - hopefully we'll have seen some promising news by then.

1 minute ago, UUNetBill said:

That's not Regent, that's UK consumer protection laws.  Regent is trying to deal with this the best they can - I've been following this pretty closely since I'm also booked on a May 28 Barcelona-Rome that we all know won't be sailing but it's still on the website.  Our TA is doing her best to keep us informed, but the situation is so fluid on a worldwide basis that it's impossible to predict when things will begin to normalize.  That's why the cruise lines are keeping their options open - wouldn't make good business sense to flat out cancel 60 or 90 days worth of cruises just have travel bans lifted in 30 or 45 days...they're all going to need to ramp up as fast as they can as soon as they can in order to stay afloat (pun intended).

We looked at slipping our May cruise until July but it wasn't in our best interest to do that, so we're going to wait until Regent cancels the May cruise and then either take the refund or FCC - hopefully we'll have seen some promising news by then.

Very sound thinking and I agree!

Pcardad - your comment "Regent has a solid track record of doing the right thing." is true in our experience (over the last 16 years).

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

That's not Regent, that's UK consumer protection laws.

Sorry, Bill, but that is incorrect.

There is nothing in UK law that obliges Regent, or any other travel operator, to require a hefty non-refundable deposit.

Unfortunately it has become "custom & practice" for cruise-lines to put this in their UK booking conditions.

Sometimes the companies seek to argue that they need the cash from their customers to fund the contributions they have to make to the two consumer protection schemes, ATOL & ABTA.

Arguably this might justify a significant deposit but certainly does not justify that deposit being non-refundable.

2 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Sorry, Bill, but that is incorrect.

There is nothing in UK law that obliges Regent, or any other travel operator, to require a hefty non-refundable deposit.

Unfortunately it has become "custom & practice" for cruise-lines to put this in their UK booking conditions.

Sometimes the companies seek to argue that they need the cash from their customers to fund the contributions they have to make to the two consumer protection schemes, ATOL & ABTA.

Arguably this might justify a significant deposit but certainly does not justify that deposit being non-refundable.

Do you happen to know what the deposit/refund policies are for UK bookings on other major luxury lines?  I am thinking of Crystal, Silversea and Seabourn in particular.

2 hours ago, etual324 said:

They CX San Diego to Mia the day before, I think they could have given more advance notice maybe because they are not FAMILY run anymore

I don't think that being family run is the reason. Are any of the cruise lines family run any more? For example, Silversea is now part of the RCL conglomerate.

The Splendor sailing just got caught by the timing of the sudden "agreement" between the US Government & CLIA, which gave Regent no opportunity to forewarn its guests; badly inconveniencing many.

2 hours ago, etual324 said:

SilverSea  stepped up right away with FULL CASH REFUNDS going into Dec 2020

The RCL/Silversea cancellation option does appear to give their guests more options than those presently being offered by NCLH/Regent.

9 minutes ago, boblerm said:

Do you happen to know what the deposit/refund policies are for UK bookings on other major luxury lines?  I am thinking of Crystal, Silversea and Seabourn in particular.

I don't know in detail as we have been Regent loyalists for some years, but I suspect that the normal UK Ts&Cs are similar across all the lines.

However, it does appear that the special arrangements in relation to the present crisis are starting to diverge between companies.

The normal T & C's on Silversea allow you to cancel up to 121 days before departure for a charge of £130, this charge can be set against a future cruise booked within 2 years

We stopped sailing Regent in 2017 as they would no longer allow us to sail under US T & C's, we had reached  Platinum Level

3 hours ago, etual324 said:

SilverSea  stepped up right away with FULL CASH REFUNDS going into Dec 2020 sometimes a luxury line is not just the glitter up front but what goes on when things go BAD

SS full CC till May then CASH REFUNDS till DEC 2020

We were supposed to be on the cruise that was cancelled less than 24 prior to embarkation.  Regent and the rest of the cruise lines had no choice since the government had an agreement with cruise lines.  It was last minute and, unfortunately,, our cruise was canceled at the last minute.  I am not bitter or angry - just disappointed.

Although I like Silversea and have cruised with them 3 times, we would rather have a FCC from Regent than a cash refund from Silversea.  Not all passengers want the same thing.  We want Regent to survive this and are okay with the FCC (although we did have the option to receive a cash refund - we did not take it).  I am thinking of the wonderful crew members on Regent ships.  They make Regent what it is and I do not want them to be out of work any longer than is necessary.

The important thing here is not whether or not we get FCC's or cash or even when Regent might cancel some cruises.  It is about ALL of us staying safe and healthy.  We can complain about cruise lines, being prisoners in our own home (which we pretty much are), losing money in the Stockmarket (which many of us have) but, if we keep our health, anything is possible,

P.S.  No, since being acquired by NCLH (and going public), Regent is not a "family" owned company but the same family still works there and NCLH is being run by the same person that was CEO of Regent and Oceania under the past owner.