What can we do while Covid-19 spreads across the world?

I feel it is important for everyone to stay isolated at home unless they have to go out for work or essential shopping. Not only will they avoid contracting the virus, but (maybe more importantly) they won't infect others.

What to do at home? Look at your photos from cruises past🙂; spend time here on CC chatting with others🙂; spend quality time with your partner/family🙂; and phone family and friends🙂. You could also research what cruise you would like to do next - after all this madness is over.

Maybe you could have 'virtual cruise' like one Aussie couple I saw on a video. They had their Princess bathrobes on, their feet up, and glasses of wine in hand while they watched a video of the sea obviously taken from a cruise ship.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 2

I would suggest staying at home and watching TV, playing video games and etc. Go out not far from home just to breath some fresh air and devote some time to family. Its not like we have it often, the time to devote to ourselves. We should enjoy it

I am hoping to get my photo books up to date.

love doing the Memento ones and have a couple of big trips to make into photobooks. 

good time also go through your clothes as we are changing seasons.

Pull everything out of your pantry and check useby dates and reorganise. Hopefully you haven't stockpiled too much.

We recently moved but others may find a bit of decluttering to do.

• Like 1

I am, um, ensuring all our financials and paperwork is up to date so if something happens it won't leave a mess. Had a visit from Grandchild today but kept the social distance. Amazing how many people in public  just aren't. 

14 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I am updating my will .

I have a bring up to get a copy of my existing will to update. 

I have a bring up to get a postal vote (if I'm not too late).  Queensland has local authority elections on 28/3, which common sense says they should cancel.

Edited by MMDown Under

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I have a bring up to get a copy of my existing will to update. 

I have a bring up to get a postal vote (if I'm not too late).  Queensland has local authority elections on 28/3, which common sense says they should cancel.

There is “talk” in NZ of forming a War Cabinet to take any political squabbling out of the equation and perhaps even postponing  the election and referendums due later in the year .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

There is “talk” in NZ of forming a War Cabinet to take any political squabbling out of the equation and perhaps even postponing  the election and referendums due later in the year .

Sounds like a good idea.  Elections and referendums are not top of the agenda for people at present.  

Australia has a crisis cabinet of Prime Minister(Liberal) and State Premiers (Labour and Liberal), yet didn't see it might add value if they included the Leader of the Opposition (Labour).

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I have never been so busy since I retired and I have self isolated since Friday.  I figure if you are a busy person you will always be a busy person, so you never run out of things to do.

We are one week into self isolation and have supplies to last us for weeks. BTW, we didn't rush to buy extra, we already had plenty before the crisis hit.

It is very quiet here: we live on acreage in a semi-rural area so don't see anyone or hear any traffic at all. Our few neighbours stick together. We got an email yesterday, suggesting that we all share email addresses so if someone needs assistance, they just have to put out a call. We are the only seniors in the group, but one of our sons lives close-by so he will be our first point of contact when we need prescriptions filled etc.

We applied for a postal vote last Monday.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

We are one week into self isolation and have supplies to last us for weeks. BTW, we didn't rush to buy extra, we already had plenty before the crisis hit.

It is very quiet here: we live on acreage in a semi-rural area so don't see anyone or hear any traffic at all. Our few neighbours stick together. We got an email yesterday, suggesting that we all share email addresses so if someone needs assistance, they just have to put out a call. We are the only seniors in the group, but one of our sons lives close-by so he will be our first point of contact when we need prescriptions filled etc.

We applied for a postal vote last Monday.

Sounds like we have a lot in common.  Whilst I live in the city, I come from country stock, so I always buy like I'm "going in to town once a fortnight".  I didn't even have to buy toilet paper,  as I already had double size rolls to last.  I am blessed to live in a street full of friendly caring mixed age neighbours, who hold a street Christmas Party.  I'm composing a group email list at present so everyone can keep in touch.  

I am an elderly runner - Aussie runners now have a new self-imposed rule for running - it's called "No flocking allowed" !!! This is where I had  a run yesterday morning - there was no Flocking going on there at 6AM. 

bridge.jpg

Nothing much will change for me. I can go windsurfing, kayaking, cycling, geocaching, ride my motorcycles or work on my motorcycle restoration projects of which I have a dozen or more. There's an engine on my workbench that's been there too long already, waiting for me to replace a couple of valves. Or, if stuck inside, play my guitar.

Nice to read what everyone is doing, and glad there are sensible people out there not out and about if not necessary.

I too always have a well stocked pantry and freezer, so are just buying fresh stuff when needed.

We don't eat out or go to pub/clubs so our weekends are the same!!

Just not having visitors or visiting anyone.

Our neighbours arrived home from Fiji and are self isolating. It's gonna be a long 2 weeks, lots of swimming in the pool, drinking beer and football and movies for them me thinks😂

In the last 24 hours our phone line has stopped working for voice phone calls, although the internet works.🙂 I don't know if Netflix works.  We have a second line so have advised our kids that they should phone on that number or the mobile. The fault is on the line, not an unusual occurrence. I intend to put a notice on the front door for the phone technician that if he needs to talk to us, we would like him to stand a few metres away. I am extending the official 1.5 metre rule. Why? Because I can.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Just hit the media that NSW Premier at a Cabinet meeting tonight will order NSW pubs, clubs, restaurants, cafes etc closed.

Will affect us as we eat out for dinner at the clubs a couple of times aw week, after all we cannot cruise anymore.   The hospitality industry will be decimated if it happens.

14 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Just hit the media that NSW Premier at a Cabinet meeting tonight will order NSW pubs, clubs, restaurants, cafes etc closed.

Wow. I suppose they have to take drastic action.

The way I see it is, if I stay isolated, I won't catch the virus and I won't pass it on to several others: two, four, or ten (who knows). Then these two, four or ten won't pass it on to another two, four or ten ...... ad infinitum.

• Like 1

Whilst I do think the lockdown is a good idea I do feel sorry for all the small restaurants and cafes that will be affected by this. We have a wonderful selection of cuisines in our small suburban "village" including Italian, Spanish, Middle Eastern, French (crepes/galettes), Japanese, Chinese, Malaysian, Thai, Korean, mod-Aus, and classic cafes. I hope they get some sort of compensation for being forced to close so that they survive this crisis. Some were starting to offer take home meals but that may be banned now.

21 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am suffering from "granddaughter-hug-withdrawal". My daughter and son-in-law have put their family into isolation as a precaution because of his health.

Same. I'm not allowed to hug my baby grandson anymore. Because of his health, and mine! I have a few risk factors.  

South Australia closed its borders this morning. 

Edited by Pushka