P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

29 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It's all relative Graham. If diesel has gone up by 5p a litre and I need 40 litres to fill up, that's 2 quid. If DW skips pudding on Friday night.....sorted🤣

When I drove down to Southampton in April I averaged 60mph and achieved 52mpg.

On the way back I averaged 70mph and achieved 42mpg.

This is the best way to combat the high fuel prices.

I was surprised the vast majority of drivers were driving under 70mph on the A1 and M1 motorways.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Very changeable weather here - from blue sky and really warm to full-on summer downpour in 5 minutes.  It was our group walk this morning, so we spent quite a bit of it lurking under trees and the rest wishing our waterproofs weren’t so uncomfortable 🙄

Petrol is getting ridiculous isn’t it?

02969920-FB8F-45E4-B111-1D22115090D6.jpeg.023718ca9fd32a66321bf08a58de0907.jpeg

It really is, and we rely on our own transport around here! 

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I was surprised the vast majority of drivers were driving under 70mph on the A1 and M1 motorways.

We have no motorways around here! Bendy roads, poor surfaces, 30mph speed limit in every village and 20mph around schools when children arrive and leave. I used to have a Passat 508 with a 6th gear. Used it once I got in the motorway to Southampton - so 3 times a year! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Local Morrison's was £170.7p for petrol yesterday and £175.7p today.

Local Tesco was £185.7p for petrol.

Makes no difference me, I always put £30 worth in !😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

During the oil crisis in 1973 the motorway speed limit was reduced from 70 to 50 in order to save fuel. I notice that a number of EU countries are looking to reduce their speed limits as a temporary measure, perhaps needs to be applied here to. On the Smart motorways easy to do just have signs set at 50mph, the speed cameras would pick up anyone exceeding speed limit. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

It's all relative Graham. If diesel has gone up by 5p a litre and I need 40 litres to fill up, that's 2 quid. If DW skips pudding on Friday night.....sorted🤣

Our local BP station is now 187.9 for petrol and 189.9 for diesel. I don't know if that is a genuine differential, or just that they are expecting a diesel top up at a new price shortly.

I filled up at Sainsburys in Town on Monday at 179.9 for diesel

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

During the oil crisis in 1973 the motorway speed limit was reduced from 70 to 50 in order to save fuel. I notice that a number of EU countries are looking to reduce their speed limits as a temporary measure, perhaps needs to be applied here to. On the Smart motorways easy to do just have signs set at 50mph, the speed cameras would pick up anyone exceeding speed limit. 

I don't see any need for that.  If you want to save fuel, drive slower, but there is no need to penalise those who want to drive faster. 

• Like 5

The recent rapid rise in fuel is in part caused by the £s fall against the $ Oil & fuel is priced in $s, the recent fall from $1.30 in April to $1.21 at the beginning of June has pushed up prices at the forecourt. There has been a small recovery in last few days but still exchange rate is volatile. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I assume you are now being chauffeured by your wife then, a bit like the Lincoln lawyer.

Indeed, although Mickey Haller's Lincoln town car is slightly bigger than my wife's Fiat 500. 

I certainly won't be conducting any legal business from the back seat !

Edited by wowzz
  • Haha 4

Aren't smoke alarms brill, ours decided to go off at 02:55 this morning :classic_sad:

By the time I'd got to it the thing had reset itself .As it's a sealed unit best get 

it down give it a clean and check replace date later today .

As I'm up, having a nice cuppa waiting for the sunrise ,hope you all have a nice day :classic_love:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

That’s happened to us before Kalos, only we couldn’t stop it at all so it was taken to the garden shed and a hammer to it to shut it up 😂 it was one the fire brigade had put up which should of lasted 10 years.

• Like 2

There’s nothing quite as scary as the fire alarm going off in the middle of the night.  They certainly work!  I think it was building work dust that set ours off.  I used one of those compressed air keyboard-cleaning cans to give it a good blast

I also recall removing a ‘Fire Angel’ from my late parents’ bungalow.  That shrieks when it’s not in situ.  Drove 30 miles home, aiming to sort it out there.  Noisy!  Tried to fix it … noisy!  Locked it in the garage - shriek!  Hit it - shriek! - Took it to the tip - shriek!  Apologised to the guys and handed it over and drove home quickly 🤣🤣🤣

Do you remember Phoebe from Friends having similar trouble?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Our 2 fire alarms are mains powered, with battery backup, last year they started beeping, fortunately I still had the manual, which said if they beep then the battery power is low and needs replacing. For the first time in since they were fitted during house retiring I had to change the batteries.

They have been set off previously by spiders getting inside, so I frequently vac them with the Shark cleaner tools to suck any unwanted arthropods out. 

6 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Our 2 fire alarms are mains powered, with battery backup, last year they started beeping, fortunately I still had the manual, which said if they beep then the battery power is low and needs replacing. For the first time in since they were fitted during house retiring I had to change the batteries.

We had a similar issue with ours, but even replacing the battery made no difference.

I replaced it with a "sealed unit" type alarm, bought from Argos, with a life of, supposedly, 10 years. As I put it up,  it crossed my mind that I might not be around when it needed replacing !

As an aside, the unit has an on/off switch, so no need for the use of a hammer when the low battery warning sounds.

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sold my car today via an internet site. Chap came round,  gave it the once over, bish, bash, bosh, money in my account. 40 minutes from start to finish !  

That will save you filling up at 30 quid a time.🤔

17 minutes ago, kalos said:

That reminds me ,I have read that face masks will not work with monkey pox.

I'm taking no chances ,going to try out gorilla tape :classic_unsure:

In the 50's, Mum stopped buying chicken when Chicken pox was going around. No more monkey curries for us. Can't be to careful. In the bar last night....what bottled larger have you got.....Corona.........WHAT.!!!?

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

In the 50's, Mum stopped buying chicken when Chicken pox was going around. No more monkey curries for us. Can't be to careful. In the bar last night....what bottled larger have you got.....Corona.........WHAT.!!!?

My Mum wouldn't talk to me for ages when she told me she "was avoiding beef due to the 

mad cow disease ".  I was only trying to reassure her :classic_unsure:

• Haha 2

Morning all, late shift today so I’ve picked up my prescription, put out the washing and now having a little internet browse. Sunny and breezy here. 

We've had a lot of heavy showers the last couple of days, hope it settles down soon as my holiday is soon!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kalos said:

My Mum wouldn't talk to me for ages when she told me she "was avoiding beef due to the 

mad cow disease ".  I was only trying to reassure her :classic_unsure:

In the 70's Mum and Dad got the Mirror and News of the world every Sunday. Once on a visit on Sunday, where's the news of the world Mum ?.....Not buying that rag anymore. They had printed a quite nasty story about Mick Jagger. Long memories those Mums.

• Like 3