P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Unfortunately they do and I have proof with our travel insurance policy.

A minor ailment which the doctor said was nothing the insurance company added £50 to our policy at renewal.

Insurance company want you to report any medical issues when you take out the policy plus any extra issues once you have the policy as they claim if you don't it will invalidate your insurance.

I had one removed on my head and one on the shoulder, the latter just been frozen off. They occurred about a year between them and each time my insurance did not increase, but then again it was around six months after  each that we holidayed again. I did declare them. I also declare (on the update we have each few years) both hip replacements and a gall bladder removal.  The only drawback from these is that I set the alarm off in any security I go through!

Edited by Yorkypete
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Unfortunately they do and I have proof with our travel insurance policy.

A minor ailment which the doctor said was nothing the insurance company added £50 to our policy at renewal.

Insurance company want you to report any medical issues when you take out the policy plus any extra issues once you have the policy as they claim if you don't it will invalidate your insurance.

My insurance says that you SHOULD report any ailments because if you don’t you won’t be covered for THAT condition. Not that I won’t be covered at all for declared conditions. So if I don’t declare a BCC for example I would still be covered for a heart condition as I have declared that I take statins. I guess that’s how the insurance companies make their money charging for conditions that are not likely to need treatment while travelling.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

My insurance says that you SHOULD report any ailments because if you don’t you won’t be covered for THAT condition. Not that I won’t be covered at all for declared conditions. So if I don’t declare a BCC for example I would still be covered for a heart condition as I have declared that I take statins. I guess that’s how the insurance companies make their money charging for conditions that are not likely to need treatment while travelling.

I would be exceptionally careful about your reading of the policy.  Most underwriters will insist on looking at your full medical history via a paid for doctor's report if you make a claim. This will be over a set period of in some cases as little as 6 months (eg Allianz) or 5 years (eg Staysure).  Most policies of insurance state quite clearly if you do not declare everything in the required period (there's even a cold on existing conditions) then your policy may not be valid.  With some (very few policies) you can opt to not be covered for existing medical conditions but this would mean not being covered for anything you may want to declare.  It's either all in or all out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, kalos said:

Another one is people cost themselves money by buying annual travel insurance with 

cruise cover. This is costly if your only doing one cruise say in Barbados and all other 

holidays are land based in Europe .

Better to have Europe annual cover and should you decide to hop over the pond cruising ,

book that separate as a one off .

I did this a few years ago as it worked out cheaper than buying world wide cruise policy .

I priced that option Kalso. In our case adding a single Caribbean cruise to our European Annual worked out just about the same as going for a worldwide annual+cruise. Any saving was minimal and we fell into the " can't be Ar......d category.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

I would be exceptionally careful about your reading of the policy.  Most underwriters will insist on looking at your full medical history via a paid for doctor's report if you make a claim. This will be over a set period of in some cases as little as 6 months (eg Allianz) or 5 years (eg Staysure).  Most policies of insurance state quite clearly if you do not declare everything in the required period (there's even a cold on existing conditions) then your policy may not be valid.  With some (very few policies) you can opt to not be covered for existing medical conditions but this would mean not being covered for anything you may want to declare.  It's either all in or all out.

Thank you @Megabear2.

This is exactly what we were told from 2 different holiday insurers.

It is not worth the risk of having a claim refused by not disclosing every doctor and hospital appointment especially as they will check if you make a claim.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

I priced that option Kalso. In our case adding a single Caribbean cruise to our European Annual worked out just about the same as going for a worldwide annual+cruise. Any saving was minimal and we fell into the " can't be Ar......d category.

Once you have medical issues the price goes up significantly.

We priced a single USA cruise trip policy in January and it was expensive so went with the annual worldwide cruise policy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

They are out to find reasons for not paying out....Ah!! t  you should have told us you had an ingrowing toenail . That is possibly why you fell down the stairs and broke your leg.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

They are out to find reasons for not paying out....Ah!! t  you should have told us you had an ingrowing toenail . That is possibly why you fell down the stairs and broke your leg.

We may well laugh but that's why arthritis carries such a high excess premium!  According to FCA more travel insurance claims fail on non disclosure of arthritis than anything else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Silly question and don't think it is worth starting a thread on here but help / views appreciated.

Have coach transfers down to Southampton and the spelling of Mr Presto's first name is incorrect. Nothng major. Does it matter? We've tried to phone the coach firm but it is impossible to get through to them. Either engaged or it rings and then cuts you off.

I don't think it will matter as it is two letters in the wrong order (bit like Eric Morcambe). Stuff for the ship is fine.

23 hours ago, Fionboard said:

I have noticed an increased number of people knocking on my door. Opening gambit is always"just doing some work for your neighbours blah blah". Then comes the "special offer, blah blah" . I personally would never buy any service from a cold caller. Beware as there are a lot of scams around. 

Oh I hate that, luckily covid put paid to that and it hasn’t returned- yet! I have been known not to answer the door if I’m not expecting anyone 😆Hubby said to me ‘you can’t do that’ and I said It’s my house I can do what I want!

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We also had to find a new insurer when our insurer cancelled our policy when DH had 2 heart valves replaced and 1 repaired. We have since been insured with Staysure who have managed to keep the premiums reasonable even though one valve still leaks slightly which is why he can no longer fly.

The really strange thing is that we were told that he had been born with faulty heart valves and it had never been picked up until he was 49.  You just don't know what is going on inside your body.

My Dad has a floppy heart valve and it wasn’t picked up until he was 60 or 70! They said he was probably born with it too, he’s 85 now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Beckett said:

Good Afternoon Everyone

Just a quick update from Southwold:

We are staying in a beautiful little house which has everything except reliable WiFi!  The weather has been so kind to us and we've walked along the seafront every day in brilliant sunshine. All rain has happened overnight. Ted is shattered with the long walks and sea air but he's very much enjoying meeting all the other dogs.

The Coronation weekend here was truly awful. It was like Chelsea/Hampstead on sea. The amount of free-range Jontys and Jemimas, Tarquins and Tristrams running amok without any parental control was embarrassing. However, they all packed up and left on Monday night and Southwold is once more as lovely as ever - and miserable old gits like me can enjoy it once again!

Be well and take care all. Best wishes. Jane xxx

Those names really made me laugh 😆 Reminds me when I was in a Knightsbridge park a few years ago !

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Silly question and don't think it is worth starting a thread on here but help / views appreciated.

Have coach transfers down to Southampton and the spelling of Mr Presto's first name is incorrect. Nothng major. Does it matter? We've tried to phone the coach firm but it is impossible to get through to them. Either engaged or it rings and then cuts you off.

I don't think it will matter as it is two letters in the wrong order (bit like Eric Morcambe). Stuff for the ship is fine.

I wouldn't worry,especially just a first name mistake.If they are like National Express,all they do is scan the QR code on your phone or print off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I  wouldn't worry, the coach driver will ask your name .

You will say "Mr & Mrs Presto " and leave the driver with your cases .

He will squint at his list and cross you off his list and you will both board the coach .

Well that's how it worked for us boarding our holiday coach to our hotel last week.

I don't think first names will be of interest to the driver unless that is, others onboard 

happen to have the same initials and surname as yourselves . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

I'm not an expert but Australia has been nuts over Eurovision for many years it seems. A few years ago they were invited to perform as a one-off and it apparently went so well that they were invited to enter permanently. I've recently seen that New Zealand is now mounting a campaign to join too...

Well if that's the case we may aswell change the name to Worldwide Song Contest. It just makes a mockery of the whole thing. I will still watch it though, a good laugh on a Saturday night. Sam was robbed last year....never mind.

• Like 2

Morning all, absolutely chucking it down here now. We actually had a nice day yesterday, but back to gloom again, would really like summer to arrive now.

Supposed to be nice tomorrow so hopefully we’ll go on a little jaunt.

17 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning all, absolutely chucking it down here now. We actually had a nice day yesterday, but back to gloom again, would really like summer to arrive now.

Supposed to be nice tomorrow so hopefully we’ll go on a little jaunt.

Sorry Sue lovely here so going out for a drive over to Buxton across the Roaches 😀😃

On 5/11/2023 at 11:25 AM, Fionboard said:

I have noticed an increased number of people knocking on my door. Opening gambit is always"just doing some work for your neighbours blah blah". Then comes the "special offer, blah blah" . I personally would never buy any service from a cold caller. Beware as there are a lot of scams around. 

Ever since we have had the Video Doorbell and Security Cameras installed we have had no cold callers or callers of the type mentioned. We have seen them stop at the gate when they have noticed the camera and move on elsewhere. 

55 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Well if that's the case we may aswell change the name to Worldwide Song Contest. It just makes a mockery of the whole thing. I will still watch it though, a good laugh on a Saturday night. Sam was robbed last year....never mind.

I find it hard to see how you can make a mockery of Eurovision greater than the mockery that it has become to the music industry all by itself

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I find it hard to see how you can make a mockery of Eurovision greater than the mockery that it has become to the music industry all by itself

Each to their own, I enjoy watching it. It has created some great names i.e. Abba and Celine Dion or have they made a mockery of the music industry as well? Hey ho its a bit of fun.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Each to their own, I enjoy watching it. It has created some great names i.e. Abba and Celine Dion or have they made a mockery of the music industry as well? Hey ho its a bit of fun.

Not really my thing especially as I think it is fixed, it is a bit like Miss Universe, when did you ever see anybody win that was not from Earth?

• Haha 13

1 hour ago, Rupert2251 said:

I suspect that both ABBA and Celine Dion would have made the breakthrough regardless, by virtue of their talent, although I wouldn’t deny that Eurovision might have helped. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I suspect that both ABBA and Celine Dion would have made the breakthrough regardless, by virtue of their talent, although I wouldn’t deny that Eurovision might have helped. 

We had an  ABBA tribute band that was on in our town last night .

It was so loud that you could hear the drums from Nando's.🙃

• Haha 11