P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I knew about the Warners deal with the IoW ferry, but the dates available didn't coincide with our cruises.  Didn't know that Parkdean and Haven have similar deals.  Thanks Brian.  Not so keen on the Porstmouth ferry though, would have to get up early to get the ferry on embarkation day!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I noticed earlier today that the government are extending £2.00 cap on single bus journeys in England to October.  Used that a couple of times to get home from Wetherspoons.

Old farts like me don't even pay that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Over the years I've thought about spending a couple of days on IoW before going on a cruise.  The cost of the ferry has always put me off.  Even more so now.  

That's one of the good things about staying at the Warner places - always seems to be at least half-price ferry. Obviously, they get a corporate rate.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

What's a bus, Brian?

It's not just London though Harry.We have been to Bath,Bristol and are frequent visitors to Basingstoke and all have excellent services.I'm sure a lot of other cities and areas are the same.Brian.

14 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We wanted to go from Southampton when we go later this month but the ferry from Portsmouth was much cheaper so we opted for that. Even with a hotel stop In Portsmouth the night before it worked out cheaper 🥴

9 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I knew about the Warners deal with the IoW ferry, but the dates available didn't coincide with our cruises.  Didn't know that Parkdean and Haven have similar deals.  Thanks Brian.  Not so keen on the Porstmouth ferry though, would have to get up early to get the ferry on embarkation day!

I'd have thought Portsmouth would have been better for both of you?

I normally go via Portsmouth with a stay the night before at either the Ibis or Premier Inn Gunwharf Quays and then go shopping at Gunwharf in the morning before getting a ferry about midday.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I'd have thought Portsmouth would have been better for both of you?

I normally go via Portsmouth with a stay the night before at either the Ibis or Premier Inn Gunwharf Quays and then go shopping at Gunwharf in the morning before getting a ferry about midday.

Portsmouth is the closest for us, but when we went to I of W in ‘21 we booked a WightLink ferry but they changed our booking the day before to a 3am crossing 😳 My husband cancelled the ferry booking and made a new one with Red Funnel and vowed to never use WightLink again … until he saw this year’s prices 😂

We’re intending to visit Jane Austen’s house on the way to Portsmouth, then do some shopping at Gunwharf in the morning before meeting up with eldest daughter & her family and getting the ferry.

We’re staying at The Lakes Rookley and got a discount on WightLink crossing 

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 7

45 minutes ago, brian1 said:

It's not just London though Harry.We have been to Bath,Bristol and are frequent visitors to Basingstoke and all have excellent services.I'm sure a lot of other cities and areas are the same.Brian.

Cities are fine, Brian. Major towns too. Just a few miles outside though is often a very different story after the deregulation of the bus industry. We live in a village just 6 miles from a city, and the once every 30 minutes service has now vanished altogether. Bus passes here are pretty useless.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Cities are fine, Brian. Major towns too. Just a few miles outside though is often a very different story after the deregulation of the bus industry. We live in a village just 6 miles from a city, and the once every 30 minutes service has now vanished altogether. Bus passes here are pretty useless.

Same here. No buses for a number of years go through our village so people can’t go by public transport even to our 2 local towns even though they are both only 2 to 3 miles away. Our village also has lots of older people who don’t drive anymore making it difficult to get around without resorting to taxis. To make matters worse for everyone in the wider area Arriva pulled out of the area altogether at the end of April, some routes have been taken on by other bus companies but the frequency has in some cases halved and many have not been taken on and have ceased to run.

• Like 2

We go Lymmington to Yarmouth, staying at Compton Farm, got 15% discount otherwise would have been over £300!  Not even a Saturday travel. Warners must have a massive arrangement with them. My sister ant even get £60 return island resident with NHS discount for staff ( she works at Portsmouth & Newport). Still looking forward to a break away.

Had enough of this Bp cuff now I’m left handed & cooking dinner, getting washing in etc uncomfortable, it’s rubbing. Poor soul 😩

5 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

When you book with Warner’s, you can book the ferry with them too. I booked our current break last year, and the return ferry cost was £60, and I don’t think that has changed,

We went to Carisbrooke Castle and Osborne House today. Fortunately we are English Heritage members so we didn’t pay the entry fees or for the parking at Carisbrooke. 

But the price of things is really high. Two coffees and 2 cakes is £13 or more.

IMG_0858.jpeg

We plan to visit both, as an English Heritage Volunteer I don’t have to pay for myself or my wife. 

The people who own the cottage have sent us a link today to book our ferry via, not checked it out yet for the price. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Caullkhead said:

We go Lymmington to Yarmouth, staying at Compton Farm, got 15% discount otherwise would have been over £300!  Not even a Saturday travel. Warners must have a massive arrangement with them. My sister ant even get £60 return island resident with NHS discount for staff ( she works at Portsmouth & Newport). Still looking forward to a break away.

Had enough of this Bp cuff now I’m left handed & cooking dinner, getting washing in etc uncomfortable, it’s rubbing. Poor soul 😩

Warner has two large properties on the Island. Bembridge Coast Hotel and Norton Grange at Yarmouth, which is a chalet resort. Bembridge is open all year and I think Norton Grange only closes for January. So very big business indeed.

6 hours ago, SarahHben said:

You’ve got lovely weather for your trip! Did you go up the really steep steps up the castle wall?  
Looking forward to being there at the end of the month. We’ve treated our daughters to English Heritage annual passes especially for our visits to Carisbrooke and Osborne House. 

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Yes, these stairs 😱

It was worse coming back down again, was scared I was going to miss my step! 

IMG_0853.jpeg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I noticed earlier today that the government are extending £2.00 cap on single bus journeys in England to October.  Used that a couple of times to get home from Wetherspoons.

I’m on my way to the office in London & as I was on a later than usual train decided decided to try catch the bus to save the £11 taxi fare. The bus was a no show then all the local taxis were on school runs so I’m now on another train 90 minutes later than my original booking. You’d think I lived in a rural location rather than on the outskirts of a major city.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 3

I live on the very edge of a 90,000 population town, approximately 3 miles from the town centre. We have a 30 minute circular bus service in one direction so it takes 10 minutes or so to get into town and 20 or so to get back. It is yet another Arriva service and for ages now has been very unreliable. The town recently built a multi-million pound "Interchange" aka Bus Station that happens to be adjacent to the railway station. There are screens at every 'gate' which say they offer "real time and scheduled departures". I think there are only two or three services that offer "real time" information. Most departures just disappear from the screen after the scheduled time. There is a "real time" phone app & website but very regularly services just disappear mid route........

• Like 1

They had information screens at all major bus stops in Medway. They have not worked properly for years. They removed my local ones last week because they don't work. I expect that they think everyone has a smart phone so can access a map showing real time information for the buses.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2023 at 9:05 AM, Snow Hill said:

Guess the local authority is trying to drive away the tourists. The break we have there in July is the first time I have been there for 47 years and I will probably be the last time we go if that’s what they charge for parking, it’s nothing more than extortion. With overprice ferry charges and extortionate parking charges you would think they didn’t want any visitors. 

Will make sure I have a full tank before I get there having seen the prices charged by some of the garages there, although Tesco, Sainsbury’s & Morrisons have lower prices they seem to be 3 or 4p per litre than those on the mainland. A full tank will last me well over the week we are there as probably will be running on electric much of the time. 

I live on the Isle of Wight and having recently been on "the mainland" I can say that petrol prices are pretty much the same.  I agree - car parking here is very expensive.  I'm very fortunate to have a staff car park at work to avoid having to pay

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Sarah1974 said:

I live on the Isle of Wight and having recently been on "the mainland" I can say that petrol prices are pretty much the same.  I agree - car parking here is very expensive.  I'm very fortunate to have a staff car park at work to avoid having to pay

From what I can see prices are 3 or 4p a litre dearer than I currently pay, but it’s the extortionate ferry costs that need to be looked at. Are the 2 main operators running a cartel, perhaps a CMA investigation is required or open it up to other providers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I have just paid 135.9p for diesel in Mablethorpe which was 8p per litre cheaper than petrol. Is this just local or is this price now UK  wide?

Sounds like they may have mis-priced and you've been lucky.  Filled the car up today with E5 petrol "Ultimate" at 159.9p.  E10 was 140.9.  Diesel was I think 6p more than E10 petrol.

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I have just paid 135.9p for diesel in Mablethorpe which was 8p per litre cheaper than petrol. Is this just local or is this price now UK  wide?

Cheapest around here for diesel is 143.9p, petrol is 138.9p

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Cheapest I saw diesel for today was 150.9. Sainsbury's in Poole. For our northern friends ....not worth the trip.

• Haha 2

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

Mmmmm………Mablethorpe. Was it paraffin? 😇

It was a Tesco filing station, and just done about 10 miles back to the holiday cottage without so much as a stutter, so I assume it was the pukka stuff.  I paid 155.9 p per litre just over a week ago back in Huddersfield, and not seen anything on the news about a sudden drop. Could it be tractor juice they sell over here.

• Like 2