P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We had the same thing happen to us. We told them we were going to America in 2 days and if we hadn't exchanged by then, it could wait till we got back, but we may decide to call it off when we return. Exchanged the same day.

I hope it’s all resolved but we need to find another rental if it goes past Friday and believe me it’s not easy to find a bungalow rental that I need. Roll on 27th for our cruise!!

Michelle

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties.  Assumedly her extra questions were regarding the property she is intending to buy.  As she too will have encountered a large financial outlay for searches, surveys and solicitors it might be worth your chain investigating if it is genuinely to do with a price reduction.

When handling long complex chains while I worked in a solicitors office if the person at the bottom collapsed the chain at a late stage for a financial reason we always suggested everyone in the chain consider sacrificing some of their price to keep the chain in tact. For example, if the pulling out person asked for £10,000 reduction we would go back to all chain members to ask if they would be prepared to negotiate and everyone reduce their price by say £5,000 with a view to achieving a sale with all prices accordingly reduced.  This often worked.  Sometimes the end of chain would counter offer and then discussion took place but if the original price cuts were weighed up against everyone's out of pocket expenses an acceptable solution would occur for immediate exchange.

Obviously I'm not sure of your chain's reliance on their sale prices but with falling house prices and mortgage shortages a lower price from an existing chain may be more attractive than having to find new buyers who will no doubt want to negotiate and offer a possible lower price anyway.

I hope it all works out for you and at least. Enjoy your holiday.

Thank you Megabear, I would be happy to a slight price adjustment to keep the chain

Michelle

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

It is a nightmare!!! I wish it was all a dream though and had exchanged as planned!!

Michelle

So sorry Michelle. I hope something can be done to salvage the chain. It does sound as though someone may be trying for a reduction but who knows. I really feel for you. Good luck. Jane xxx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Glad it all worked out for your daughter in the end. Isn’t it awful when you take ownership of a place that is filthy? How can people live like that? 

We are praying and hoping our chain can be saved somehow 

Michelle

🙏🙏 I hope the chain can be saved for you Michelle.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bobstheboy said:

I remember the 66 World Cup final. One more big performance against Spain on Sunday.

Common the Lionesses. 

That was the first game I ever watched Bob - when my dad decided my education needed a boost and I'd never get anywhere in life if I didn't know about football - and he was right!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

What a fantastic world cup semi final football match.

I am so happy for the girls and massively impressed with the quality of the football.

Me too Graham. It was real quality. I wonder if she will play Lauren James in the final?  Jane xx

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

How very stressful for you!  Something similar happened to us decades ago and we ended up living on my mother's drive in our caravan, with our young son, for some months.  I hope it gets resolved for you soon.  I wonder if the Scottish system works better, as I have been led to believe.

It does work better from what I have heard of “English chains” but it’s certainly not perfect. There are quite a few differences from what I understand (I’m no expert by the way) and I believe the process costs more because solicitors do most of it up here.

Bids etc are done via a solicitor not an estate agent and a qualified acceptance comes back from the sellers solicitor.

Once the missives are exchanged (various documents) it creates the contract so it’s hard to withdraw from selling or buying. It’s not to say that is doesn’t happen but when it does there are harsher penalties on the party concerned. Sometimes entry dates can move a little by agreement but if someone withdraws then the other party can go for any costs this incurs as the binding contract is in place at an earlier stage in the process.

Part of the missives is a check that the buyer has the money for the purchase so no last minute mortgage issues. Full house reports are provided upfront for every property, paid for by the seller, so the buyer knows what they are getting warts and all.

Its such a stressful thing anyway without someone pulling out at the last minute. I really feel for @Peanut006

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

So sorry about your sale Michelle @Peanut006 we nearly lost our sale in a similar situation 16 years ago, but luckily someone in the chain who had lost their purchase went into rented or friends  to save the rest of the chain, the sales had dragged on & on. Plus we had to race down here to look at this property as the first house we were buying suddenly asked for more money can you believe! Oddly they’re still living there 🙄, totally feel for you! X

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

What a fantastic world cup semi final football match.

I am so happy for the girls and massively impressed with the quality of the football.

A massive advert for football. Ladies, or otherwise.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

It does work better from what I have heard of “English chains” but it’s certainly not perfect. There are quite a few differences from what I understand (I’m no expert by the way) and I believe the process costs more because solicitors do most of it up here.

Bids etc are done via a solicitor not an estate agent and a qualified acceptance comes back from the sellers solicitor.

Once the missives are exchanged (various documents) it creates the contract so it’s hard to withdraw from selling or buying. It’s not to say that is doesn’t happen but when it does there are harsher penalties on the party concerned. Sometimes entry dates can move a little by agreement but if someone withdraws then the other party can go for any costs this incurs as the binding contract is in place at an earlier stage in the process.

Part of the missives is a check that the buyer has the money for the purchase so no last minute mortgage issues. Full house reports are provided upfront for every property, paid for by the seller, so the buyer knows what they are getting warts and all.

Its such a stressful thing anyway without someone pulling out at the last minute. I really feel for @Peanut006

I lived in Kilcreggan in the 80's, the house buying and selling was far easier and as you say more positive.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I moved here 7 years ago and found selling is not as easy as it used to be up here because the missives aren’t signed nearly so early now - I had to agree to a large reduction in price only a week before moving date in order to get the buyer to hand over the money on the agreed date.   I hadn’t actually realised until then that the missives hadn’t been signed which is just as well because my stress levels were already very high!   
Hope you get things resolved Michelle and can go ahead with your new house which I know you had lots of plans for.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

I moved here 7 years ago and found selling is not as easy as it used to be up here because the missives aren’t signed nearly so early now - I had to agree to a large reduction in price only a week before moving date in order to get the buyer to hand over the money on the agreed date.   I hadn’t actually realised until then that the missives hadn’t been signed which is just as well because my stress levels were already very high!   
Hope you get things resolved Michelle and can go ahead with your new house which I know you had lots of plans for.  

That’s sounds like your solicitor has been dilatory to say the least.