P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Looks like the weather is going to brighten up until Saturday, not at all pleasant here yesterday but nice fluffy clouds with blue this morning.  I've just purchased my train ticket for my four hour journey up to Newmarket for my trainers yard visits later this week and surprised that it o cost £58 for a return but would have been over £70 for a single.  As on Saturday I take the train from Newmarket to Chelmsford to meet our family for a cousin's 40th birthday party I bought the return as strangely that single ticket cost a princely £9.50. Talk about confusion, worryingly if there hadn't been ticket office staff I'd have paid in excess of £160 for tickets for these journeys using the SWR/National Rail websites.  

Have been notified Dutch Decoy has an entry Friday evening at Newmarket too - same race he won last year.  After racing it's Newmarket Nights with Olly Murs so a busy few days coming up.  Enjoy the day wherever you are and whatever you are doing.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Have been notified Dutch Decoy has an entry Friday evening at Newmarket too

Oh sorry to be a bit thick here.   Is he racing on Friday or Saturday.

I don't want to show myself up again when I collect the last winnings and have a little flutter again🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, indiana123 said:

Oh sorry to be a bit thick here.   Is he racing on Friday or Saturday.

I don't want to show myself up again when I collect the last winnings and have a little flutter again🤣

He has entries in both.  Declarations will be made tomorrow for Friday, I'll let you know.  York is next week.

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The Bee Gees and the Spirit of Adventure say hello from Douglas, Isle of Man 

IMG_1401.jpeg

We had a lovely few days in IOM just as things started to open up 2 years ago. It’s a lovely place and a childhood holiday destination for me. I wasn’t aware that any cruise ships called there, so that’s really interesting. I hope you are enjoying the Spirit of Adventure as a good friend of mine, and a seasoned cruiser, was on the cruise prior to yours and loved it.

• Like 4

We have another nice sunny day and warmer than yesterday. You can definately tell the holiday season is in full swing as the traffic is chaos out. What should have taken me about 20 minutes took nearly an hour! I'm now going to make the most of the weather by taking a coffee and book into the garden.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

We had a lovely few days in IOM just as things started to open up 2 years ago. It’s a lovely place and a childhood holiday destination for me. I wasn’t aware that any cruise ships called there, so that’s really interesting. I hope you are enjoying the Spirit of Adventure as a good friend of mine, and a seasoned cruiser, was on the cruise prior to yours and loved it.

I’m really getting into the swing of things now, and like the ship more each day.

Yesterday was a sea day, and raining until mid afternoon. But we really enjoyed the entertainment in the Britannia Lounge last night, so that perked us up, and we are now in a busy run of port days - and the sun is shining. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I was just looking at our local news online and I was stunned to see a story about 2 teenage girls walking across the rail bridge in the town.  They must have accessed it from the station a short distance from the bridge.

image.png.2a22f95d16e7faee93239f6c4b267d0e.png

I have to wonder why they would do something so stupid.  They could have so easily fallen and been killed.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I was just looking at our local news online and I was stunned to see a story about 2 teenage girls walking across the rail bridge in the town.  They must have accessed it from the station a short distance from the bridge.

I have to wonder why they would do something so stupid.  They could have so easily fallen and been killed.

Crazy people.

The Ole Lady used to work for the railway.  Lots of people doing stupid things out there.

• Like 6

On 8/14/2023 at 10:13 AM, yorkshirephil said:

Thanks, scrabster and portree don t look too bad not sure about Mull but as you say there is a good distillery there.

If you like really great fresh fish and seafood try to cafe fish in Tobermory. It’s very popular so book if you fancy it, they do take walk ins but it’s usually busy. The food is soooo fresh. It’s a small place with not too many tables and unpretentious but excellent food.

http://www.thecafefish.com

You can also pre book a distillery tour which is nice as well.

• Like 1

On your behalf I watched some of the programme about Regal Princess today - don't waste your time; very boring, strangely not much about  the ship,  including no meals on board.  A very peculiar set of programmes.  All about very ordinary reactions to shore visits.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

That's frightening to see Josy. Youngsters don't seem to see the danger in anything they do. 

Avril

• Like 2

I have just been interrogated by my god-daughter who is looking at going on a cruise next year.  She was asking about the facilities for small children on P&O, her son will be 3 next year.  I have no idea because it is 9 years since we took my niece's 4 year old daughter on Azura.  Can any of you good people who have taken small children recently on P&O tell me what there is now for young children.

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

If you like really great fresh fish and seafood try to cafe fish in Tobermory. It’s very popular so book if you fancy it, they do take walk ins but it’s usually busy. The food is soooo fresh. It’s a small place with not too many tables and unpretentious but excellent food.

http://www.thecafefish.com

You can also pre book a distillery tour which is nice as well.

We walked to the far end of the harbour and spotted the Cafe Fish and got seated straight away. Lovely food. 

• Like 1

Hallooooooooo  Here we go again, joining the Insomniacs Club.  It's my fault for boasting that things had been better sleep wise for a week or two.

I am fighting myself at the moment, I have a hot drink but I do not need biscuits, I do not need biscuits, I do not...........🤣🙃

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Morning everyone, it 's 13.c and sunny at the moment .

To our resident night owl ,it's not much fun when you cannot sleep,

that really takes the biscuit ,that's if there's any left by the morning 😉

I once bought a pack of those chocolate animal shaped biscuits,

but had to take them back as the seal was broken. 🙃

The ladies football today ,hope England give the Aussies a football lesson .

Starts 11 am UK time, I don't understand time zones!
How is it possible that in UK it is today. and In Australia it is tomorrow,
and in Cleethorpes  it is 1962 ?

Have a good day everyone (apart from the Aussie football team .🙂

• Haha 15

4 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Hallooooooooo  Here we go again, joining the Insomniacs Club.  It's my fault for boasting that things had been better sleep wise for a week or two.

I am fighting myself at the moment, I have a hot drink but I do not need biscuits, I do not need biscuits, I do not...........🤣🙃

I was awake at 4 am but didn't give in and get up, instead I listened to the 'Americast' podcast on Radio 5 Live of Donald Trump's latest woes on a 30 minute timer!  That helped me doze off again way before the end 😁

• Like 5

Good morning everyone it’s a beautiful sunny and blue sky and the sea gulls are rattling on , other half has gone for his power walk along the beach which he has been doing for a month now and coming back looking like a wreck 😂 , we’re watching the football as well this morning and probably potter down to the beach last which the family for a bbq on the beach later tonight. Have a wonderful day everyone.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I was awake at 4:13 this morning and couldn't find any way to go back to sleep so I got up at 4:35.  The cleaning is all done and I have made a cottage pie and prepared the veg for this evening,

• Like 4

It’s a lovely morning here today, some sitting outside on the patio might be in order.

I am feeling a bit cross today though. We have sold our house and we’re supposed to have a packing service coming today before moving into a rental bungalow for six months while our new house was been extended and renovated. We were supposed to exchange last Friday  - it didn’t happen, then Monday - it didn’t happen then yesterday the bottom of the chain pulled out so everything has collapsed. Now left with a solicitor’s bill, no rental house and possibly no house to buy. It shouldn’t be allowed to happen so late down the proceedings. 

Michelle

8 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

It’s a lovely morning here today, some sitting outside on the patio might be in order.

I am feeling a bit cross today though. We have sold our house and we’re supposed to have a packing service coming today before moving into a rental bungalow for six months while our new house was been extended and renovated. We were supposed to exchange last Friday  - it didn’t happen, then Monday - it didn’t happen then yesterday the bottom of the chain pulled out so everything has collapsed. Now left with a solicitor’s bill, no rental house and possibly no house to buy. It shouldn’t be allowed to happen so late down the proceedings. 

Michelle

How very stressful for you!  Something similar happened to us decades ago and we ended up living on my mother's drive in our caravan, with our young son, for some months.  I hope it gets resolved for you soon.  I wonder if the Scottish system works better, as I have been led to believe.

• Thanks 1