P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Morning we have 5.c with a chill of 2.c today .

Just checked my heart medication and no need to order extra to get me over the festive weeks ..Which reminds me a timely reminder below of what could happen if we don't keep them away from our children and pets ... 

Have a good day 🙂   160eee9ce3324bee5caab121e07b1fa2(1).jpg.0760aa6e902c4f641a877bc0b1d123a5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 11/8/2023 at 8:50 PM, Josy1953 said:

I have just got home from the hospital, I have lost the nearest thing I had to a daughter, my beautiful niece has past away.

I’m late catching up with this but may I offer my sincere condolences to you & your family.

• Thanks 1

Blimey, I’ve had a busy few weeks so I’m only just catching up whilst on the train to work in London & there are 30 pages to read!

I’m glad to read that you gave your late dad a good send off @P&O SUE & that Lady K is okay @kalos. Also congratulations to Mr & Mrs @yorkshirephil

I’m not a project manager by any means but having completed one alongside my day job I’ve put my hand up for another as it’s a subject I’m interested in & have experience of (risk management) & have been volunteered for a third one at the same time. There’s been some long days & early morning calls with colleagues in Australia including one at 7am (never again!). However, I’ve also got a promotion so hard work has paid off! I’m now just one position below the grade I was before redundancy in 2018 but who cares about that? I’ve caught up in terms of pay so that’s all I’m bothered about (even if payroll have messed up what they’ve reported to HMRC but hopefully I’m going to get that sorted in the office today).

We’ve also finally got round to stripping out our son’s bedroom & completely refurbishing it. It’s almost done & looks great, far better than any bedroom I’ve ever had as a kid or adult!

It’s been one year since dad left us & this week we attended the funeral of my late cousin who suddenly took ill & passed away within a few hours whilst on holiday In Lanzarote. Such a shock for everyone especially his close family who had to deal with it all. It was a lovely service & we had a smile when they played “On Days Like These” by Matt Munro at the crematorium. I knew it was the music from the film The Italian Job & my uncle turned round & said “He always said he wanted a fancy Italian sports car.” The other thing to stick in my mind was how many distant relatives said “We don’t want to see you anytime soon!” Said in jest of course but it’s a shame that seems to be the only time we all see each other.

It’s still a great comfort to pass some time on here reading everyone’s news (even if it sad sometimes) & just sharing life’s experiences. Anyone got a Christmas tree up yet? Our new neighbour said that his wife loves Christmas & would be the first in the street to decorate. It turns out he wasn’t kidding!

Best regards to all. 

Damian

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

I went out as usual for the school run, when I got there the house was in complete darkness so I let myself in, yelled up the stairs to wake the children up only to get a reply from the 15 year old "It's an inset day".  I have never heard of inset days.  Yesterday I only picked up the 13 year old and she didn't mention that they didn't have to go the school today, probably because she doesn't think ahead, her brother usually tells me of any changes to their routine when he gets out of the car but yesterday he had an extra lesson so walked home.

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Blimey, I’ve had a busy few weeks so I’m only just catching up whilst on the train to work in London & there are 30 pages to read!

I’m glad to read that you gave your late dad a good send off @P&O SUE & that Lady K is okay @kalos. Also congratulations to Mr & Mrs @yorkshirephil

I’m not a project manager by any means but having completed one alongside my day job I’ve put my hand up for another as it’s a subject I’m interested in & have experience of (risk management) & have been volunteered for a third one at the same time. There’s been some long days & early morning calls with colleagues in Australia including one at 7am (never again!). However, I’ve also got a promotion so hard work has paid off! I’m now just one position below the grade I was before redundancy in 2018 but who cares about that? I’ve caught up in terms of pay so that’s all I’m bothered about (even if payroll have messed up what they’ve reported to HMRC but hopefully I’m going to get that sorted in the office today).

We’ve also finally got round to stripping out our son’s bedroom & completely refurbishing it. It’s almost done & looks great, far better than any bedroom I’ve ever had as a kid or adult!

It’s been one year since dad left us & this week we attended the funeral of my late cousin who suddenly took ill & passed away within a few hours whilst on holiday In Lanzarote. Such a shock for everyone especially his close family who had to deal with it all. It was a lovely service & we had a smile when they played “On Days Like These” by Matt Munro at the crematorium. I knew it was the music from the film The Italian Job & my uncle turned round & said “He always said he wanted a fancy Italian sports car.” The other thing to stick in my mind was how many distant relatives said “We don’t want to see you anytime soon!” Said in jest of course but it’s a shame that seems to be the only time we all see each other.

It’s still a great comfort to pass some time on here reading everyone’s news (even if it sad sometimes) & just sharing life’s experiences. Anyone got a Christmas tree up yet? Our new neighbour said that his wife loves Christmas & would be the first in the street to decorate. It turns out he wasn’t kidding!

Best regards to all. 

Damian

No Christmas tree up here until 22nd / 23rd December.  Yesterday we drove past a house with lots of outdoor lights up large blow up Santa, Reindeer and Snowman on display.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I went out as usual for the school run, when I got there the house was in complete darkness so I let myself in, yelled up the stairs to wake the children up only to get a reply from the 15 year old "It's an inset day".  I have never heard of inset days.  Yesterday I only picked up the 13 year old and she didn't mention that they didn't have to go the school today, probably because she doesn't think ahead, her brother usually tells me of any changes to their routine when he gets out of the car but yesterday he had an extra lesson so walked home.

They used to be called Baker days when my son was little, after the Education secretary at the time who ‘invented’ them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Best regards to all. 

Damian

Well done on your promotion Damian!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Lovely morning in sunny Yorkshire after a light frost. I was out sweeping leaves this morning and there is a bitter wind, which is working wonders on Mrs YP's washing, however in the sun it is really pleasant. We have a gorgeous acer which had turned a beautiful red, this morning just a carpet of leaves. I think we are due a cold spell with a few frosty nights so that will probably finish off what is left of the flowering plants. 

Well done @DamianG on the promotion, maybe an opportunity to sneak in a cheeky cruise with the extra cash😗.

Mrs YP goes to a sewing class where there is another lady who was on the ill fated Saga cruise that hit the storms. She has had the entire cost of the cruise returned to her bank, well done Saga. 

I have also received my £500 winter fuel and some other allowance payment this morning. Maybe being an old duffer ain't all that bad. 

Edited by yorkshirephil
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Morning all, life is just jogging on here, feel like we are in lockdown!

Ridiculousy excited as my sister is coming up tomorrow and is taking my mum for lunch and going to her flat to pick up any post.

John and I are going to get on a bus to the local shopping centre and have some lunch out ourselves! It’s the little things….

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 19

5 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Ridiculousy excited as my sister is coming up tomorrow and is taking my mum for lunch and going to her flat to pick up any post.

John and I are going to get on a bus to the local shopping centre and have some lunch out ourselves! It’s the little things….

Friday is " into town " day for us. Bank, shops, lunch. We could bank online, shop online and have Deliverywho bring our lunch. That sounds a bit like meals on wheels!. No thanks. Important decision.  Do we drive and pay £5 to park, or go on the bus which costs the council £3?.🤔

• Like 5

It’s meant to have been 0% chance of rain the last 3 days so naturally we have had showers every day 😅. Good news, my dear friend has been given the all clear from lymphoma after a year of chemotherapy, stem cell treatment & radiotherapy, she’s been pretty ill, but so determined to get well. We’re all so relieved as you can imagine. 
Well on the job front eldest ds has had 2 job offers one with the council (2 year contract yet again) and dwp, but not Penzance which was his first choice as he doesn’t have a car, he’s excepted both provisionally, see which one actually gets the paperwork sorted 🤔. Meanwhile I’ve booked Wightlink ferry for our January Birthday/Xmas family get together, annoyingly only 20% off this year for Black Friday which is typical as my sister tells me it’s normally 50% & you could use it all all year. Clearly they knew I was coming. 😚

Have a good day everyone. 

• Like 17

48 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Have a lovely catch up and lunch out.

I am meeting some old friends over in Yorkshire tonight, they boys are going out & the ladies are going out so I am looking forward to that.

Michelle

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

They used to be called Baker days when my son was little, after the Education secretary at the time who ‘invented’ them!

Had the very dubious privilege of showing one of Kenneth Baker's successors as Education Secretary around a college.... he was delighted to see a class hard at work on what he thought was the National Curriculum until it was explained that the class were not doing National Curriculum work... by that time I was a bit frustrated and was biting my lip. When the the Education Secretary asked how the plans for the National Curriculum were being done... I explained about inset days... "Oh what a good idea! Who thought that one up? Almost speechless... I spluttered "Mr Baker!" there was a stoney silence!

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Friday is " into town " day for us. Bank, shops, lunch. We could bank online, shop online and have Deliverywho bring our lunch. That sounds a bit like meals on wheels!. No thanks. Important decision.  Do we drive and pay £5 to park, or go on the bus which costs the council £3?.🤔

I wish we had a bus that goes into town, ours was cut a number of years ago so I usually take the car unless it a warm sunny day that tempts me to walk the 2 miles each way.

• Like 1

BIL is 79 today,he said he'd take us for lunch.No pub lunch or restaurant just the cafe 100 yards over the road.All the best greasy spoons in London now IMO are Turkish owned and this is one of them.I had liver,bacon onions,chips,beans,2 eggs and a slice and it was a feast,lol.Walking up the gym now to burn it off.

• Like 13

Well that’s the port & cranberry sauce, brandy butter and chutneys all made for Christmas so big job done. Feeling smug.

Now I know I am a grumpy old woman but every year there seem to be more dodgy cranberries in each punnet. I got 6 boxes this year and by the time I have checked them all I was left with 5 good boxes full of usable ones.

I have also started wrapping presents etc but this year I’m doing very few “real” cards. I’d rather give the money for all the stamps to the local food bank. If anyone who is interested TX Maxx are doing massive sheets of tissue paper which can wrap large items before going into a sack. Saves a lot of time, they have them in red, green, white and Christmas patterns.

• Like 7

@DamianG Congratulations on your promotion Damian. Great news and, I'm sure, well deserved.

@yorkshirephil Got my £500  today as well Phil. Not a bad week at all for us old gits what with the pension uplift next year as well. I think I've said on here before (so I'll repeat myself probably) that when I got my first pension payment it was the first 'free' money I'd ever received - and I'm still chuffed when it goes into my account every month!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Best wishes.  Jane xx

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Got my £500  today as well Phil. Not a bad week at all for us old gits what with the pension uplift next year as well. I think I've said on here before (so I'll repeat myself probably) that when I got my first pension payment it was the first 'free' money I'd ever received - and I'm still chuffed when it goes into my account every month!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Best wishes.  Jane xx

It is nice to get something back after all the years of paying in, enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We had a run out to see our youngest granddaughter Who's aged one and will

really take in Christmas this year . Whilst out fuelled the car up first time since returning from Southampton . Walking out the garage a guy (looked like a builder said " innit cold , Ive got three layers on and still freezing ."

We have bright sunshine but it's perishing today , car only took £32 in petrol and once we had done visiting we opted to support our local chippy and buy them click and collect , no money needed card payment . If we had used cash I would probably have to go to town due to me having all this lose change and see if any bank would take it as ours are now closed .

@brian1 last time I had chips liver and onions they were lovely but had to travel out of town and stand in a Wickes carpark to eat them 🙃

Funny thing is go back to the 70's /80 s we could have got them in our town centre but the cafes etc that sold them are not there anymore since the closure of pits and steelworks and others .

Most of our things are now on the outskirts of town not within .

Funny the way things pan out I fuelled the car bought us a chippy without using cash and used just the card and best of all I have never banked online or have an account that runs online .

No thanks to the banks that seem to want us pushed that way .🤔

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rupert2251 said:

Cheddar had her first visit to Trentham Gardens yesterday to show off her new harness. She thoroughly enjoyed meeting lots of people and other dogs. Didn't walk too far and she sat as good as gold at Cadwaladers while we had coffee.

Screenshot_20231124-123715_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231124-123656_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231124-123633_Gallery.jpg

I bet nobody wanted to give cheddar a stroke, did they.?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, kalos said:

We had a run out to see our youngest granddaughter Who's aged one and will

really take in Christmas this year . Whilst out fuelled the car up first time since returning from Southampton . Walking out the garage a guy (looked like a builder said " innit cold , Ive got three layers on and still freezing ."

We have bright sunshine but it's perishing today , car only took £32 in petrol and once we had done visiting we opted to support our local chippy and buy them click and collect , no money needed card payment . If we had used cash I would probably have to go to town due to me having all this lose change and see if any bank would take it as ours are now closed .

@brian1 last time I had chips liver and onions they were lovely but had to travel out of town and stand in a Wickes carpark to eat them 🙃

Funny thing is go back to the 70's /80 s we could have got them in our town centre but the cafes etc that sold them are not there anymore since the closure of pits and steelworks and others .

Most of our things are now on the outskirts of town not within .

Funny the way things pan out I fuelled the car bought us a chippy without using cash and used just the card and best of all I have never banked online or have an account that runs online .

No thanks to the banks that seem to want us pushed that way .🤔

DW puts her loose change in a pot. My credit card was due and She wanted to pay her change into the bank......can I help?. Yes we want to pay some money in and pay a cc bill. You can do that at the machine,  would you like me to show you how ?....yes please, I don't know how to pay £60 in loose change into the machine....I will need to do that at the counter.  If you're going to the counter, you can do my cc bill as well can't you?.

Zap & DW.  2

Bank.          0

🤣

• Haha 8