P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

9°C and sunny here.

Just had my breakfast porridge.

I'm missing my Cumberland breakfast.

I hope everyone is well and we all have an enjoyable day.

IMG_20240315_084909.jpg

IMG_20240314_084734.jpg

Looks lovely other than the the devil's invention aka baked beans.  I wouldn't be able to eat anything if there were beans on the plate.  One of DH's moans is that I refuse to have them in the house so he only gets to have them if we have breakfast out.

• Like 2

We have a bright sunny day, a bit cool but the washing dried on the line this morning for the first time this year.

I feel like I have not stood still at all today, school run, doctors for blood test results, shopping, ironing, baking, afternoon pickup from school, cooking dinner.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Looks lovely other than the the devil's invention aka baked beans.  I wouldn't be able to eat anything if there were beans on the plate.  One of DH's moans is that I refuse to have them in the house so he only gets to have them if we have breakfast out.

Bet you like green beans.

• Haha 4

I do like beans on toast, for a light midday meal.  Or possibly with sausage and mash or similar.  Not exactly haute cuisine, but tasty when you are in the mood.  Just definitely not for breakfast.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Aurora just abandoned Honningsvag visit due to blizzards. Hopefully better weather for Alta. 

We've been stuck in these waters in mid-winter on Hurtigruten and been forced to abandon the quay in Honningsvåg... so we've an inkling of what it may be like.

We see from the AIS sites that the ship has gone about 30 miles out to sea and is currently doing about 8 knots due east... towards the Russian border... so that won't continue for long! Looks as if the Captain may be pointing the ship into the wind. It currently "Feels like" -11˚C on deck!

When we got stuck in bad weather (on our way the Russian border) the ship eventually had to give up and the only port that we could get into was Alta.

The weather at the moment isn't as bad as we experienced at that time and so the idea of the sheltered port of Alta with the occasional fall of fresh new snow sounds a really exciting prospect... especially as there will be a real possibility of seeing the Northern Lights in the gaps through the clouds.

Best of luck to the folks on board.

Edited by twotravellersLondon
syntax
  • Like 8

54 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

A lovely sunny day here, warm enough to sit out in the garden for a couple of hours, our Magnolia  flowers have opened today, this is the earliest it has flowered. 

Our Magnolia is in full flower too and we hae a weeping cherry that has flower buds coming on as well. Seems Spring has sprung early this year.

Avril

• Like 7

1 hour ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We've been stuck in these waters in mid-winter on Hurtigruten and been forced to abandon the quay in Honningsvåg... so we've an inkling of what it may be like.

We see from the AIS sites that the ship has gone about 30 miles out to sea and is currently doing about 8 knots due east... towards the Russian border... so that won't continue for long! Looks as if the Captain may be pointing the ship into the wind. It currently "Feels like" -11˚C on deck!

When we got stuck in bad weather (on our way the Russian border) the ship eventually had to give up and the only port that we could get into was Alta.

The weather at the moment isn't as bad as we experienced at that time and so the idea of the sheltered port of Alta with the occasional fall of fresh new snow sounds a really exciting prospect... especially as there will be a real possibility of seeing the Northern Lights in the gaps through the clouds.

Best of luck to the folks on board.

From our experience a few years ago, if the weather is that bad, it is unlikely that there will be gaps through the clouds that may allow the Northern Lights to be seen. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and the skies clearer. At least Alta is a good place to see them from the ship.

Edited by pete14
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Bet you like green beans.

Not P&O green beans.  How do they make them squeak ?  The only squeak to come out of the kitchen should be Bubble and Squeak :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Not in Alta until day after tomorrow. Can't complain as had excellent weather last year. Sorry for those doing it for first time though. 

These are some pics that we took in Alta (at the golf club) and on the way back south on a not too promising night several years back...

DSC_8744.thumb.JPG.014673a5056aee80702f98eb4cdb512d.JPG

IMG_1429.thumb.JPG.a7818cc772f92f9e0c2ab8678f20fc7d.JPG

DSC_9795.thumb.JPG.a8fe4e2b2aacc70700ed42b95cbf7dfb.JPG

DSC_9945.thumb.JPG.4ceb6cbb8d8d5ea4325e31142ddd2dd3.JPG

Hope that you're all lucky!

• Like 15

8 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Not P&O green beans.  How do they make them squeak ?  The only squeak to come out of the kitchen should be Bubble and Squeak :classic_biggrin:

Ah,finally something we both like/They can stick those hash browns.

• Like 1

All the difference in the world between a frozen commercial hash brown and some of last night's leftover mash made into a pattie and fried until brown for breakfast at home.

• Like 13

Another wet morning here for the school run.  I have just been watching our resident blackbird and thrush, they spend a lot of time together in our garden but this morning the thrush picked up a worm  hopped over to the blackbird and dropped it at his feet for him to pick up and eat.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Another wet morning here for the school run.  I have just been watching our resident blackbird and thrush, they spend a lot of time together in our garden but this morning the thrush picked up a worm  hopped over to the blackbird and dropped it at his feet for him to pick up and eat.

Rained earlier but passed over now. One pair of our resident black birds are building a nest in the ivy, but it is close to the bird feeders where squirrels and magpies also frequent so if they are seen I fear for their eggs or chicks.

Our forsythia is in full bloom now and the spirea Bridal Wreath is just coming out, spring is here😀🪻🍾

• Like 4

We have another sunny day here, three in a row😲 We must be heading for some sort of record!

Went out for a meal yesterday with the members of a club OH belongs to, and won a bottle of Prosecco in the raffle☺️ One of my other numbers also came out of the hat, but I asked them to redraw the prize. 

Hair dresser is coming to Mum's today, so am going round there to get my hair cut as well. Will also check Mum in online for our cruise next week. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, purplesea said:

We have another sunny day here, three in a row😲 We must be heading for some sort of record!

Went out for a meal yesterday with the members of a club OH belongs to, and won a bottle of Prosecco in the raffle☺️ One of my other numbers also came out of the hat, but I asked them to redraw the prize. 

Hair dresser is coming to Mum's today, so am going round there to get my hair cut as well. Will also check Mum in online for our cruise next week. 

Love to hear when people are going on cruises.

I hope you have an amazing time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Where are you cruising to ?  Hopefully we will be cruising next week to the Canaries.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Where are you cruising to ?  Hopefully we will be cruising next week to the Canaries.

The Med on Arvia.

Hape you have a lovely cruse. We cruised round the Canary Islands in January.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have one shining light in my garden. I have a camellia in a large pot which belonged to my father and is approaching 60 years old. The first bloom astonished me when it appeared mid December and it is continuing to offer a new flower every day.  Rain, and yet more rain do not appears to stopping it's enthusiasm.  

Incidentally fellow gardeners, any idea what could be eating and stripping my daffodil flowers? Every one in my beds has a been stripped back to just the stamen yet the ones in pots are beautiful upright soldiers.

20240319_080743.jpg

20240319_080800.jpg

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 9

26 minutes ago, purplesea said:

The Med on Arvia.

Hape you have a lovely cruse. We cruised round the Canary Islands in January.

Hope you have a lovely cruise too, we have never been on Arvia, I just feel that it may be a little too big, Sky Princess is the largest that we have been on and she is the one that we are going on this time too if the doctor gives me the all clear this afternoon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Hope you have a lovely cruise too, we have never been on Arvia, I just feel that it may be a little too big, Sky Princess is the largest that we have been on and she is the one that we are going on this time too if the doctor gives me the all clear this afternoon.

We’re on Sky Princess in September for a 31 day USA and Canada cruise and then again in May 2025 for a 14 day med cruise with Tony Hadley ( Spandau Ballet), Anton Du Beke/Erin Boag (Strictly) and Brian Conley doing shows.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Sky Princess is the largest that we have been on and she is the one that we are going on this time too if the doctor gives me the all clear this afternoon.

Fingers crossed for you Josy this afternoon ,then you can relax .

In January Mrs K had an issue on the Azura and due to medical history the 

ships doctor had me pack our bags and sent to Cadiz hospital and until she 

got an all clear letter from their Dr to give to the ships Dr , That was the end of 

our cruise. Very stressful and would hate for you to go through something similar .

Good luck this afternoon .🙂

PS forgot to say we got the all clear letter and were let back onboard .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1