P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I had a phone call from the hospital this afternoon, my biopsy results have shown that I do not have cancer so that is a relief. The bad news is that they want to carry out some more tests including a biopsy done under anesthetic so that they can take a larger sample that can be analysed in more depth to determine whether the lesions are likely to become malignant. It looks the next few weeks are not going to be much fun.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I had a phone call from the hospital this afternoon, my biopsy results have shown that I do not have cancer so that is a relief. The bad news is that they want to carry out some more tests including a biopsy done under anesthetic so that they can take a larger sample that can be analysed in more depth to determine whether the lesions are likely to become malignant. It looks the next few weeks are not going to be much fun.

So sorry to hear you have to have another biopsy Josy.

Sending you our prayers 🙏 that the next biopsy is clear too.

Graham.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Good news for your biopsy results josy , and sending you prayers and fingers and toes crossed your next big biopsy is all clear too 🥰

• Like 4

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

Slightly off topic, I read a day or so ago that there is debate in gov about stopping free NHS lateral flow tests except in special circumstances. According to the NAO 691 million have been issued but only 91 million results have been registered.

My chemist said last week that they had stopped giving them out and that we had to go on line to order them off the government website to get a reference number they text to you then you have to take that reference number to them to get the LFT box .

7 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks for the feedback on petrol supplies, guys - much appreciated. I’m getting the message that things are getting back to normal across most of the country, with the possible exception of the London area.

Not keen on getting stranded with an empty tank!

Took dad to Luton airport today got caught up in the M3 closure due to a car trailer on fire , then got caught up in the big trucks funeral parade for a driver who lost his life , then on way home had the M27 closed due to a rolled over truck , done a lot of detours and in the end 10 hours it took us there and back , don’t want to go back to Luton airport anytime soon not a nice airport with everything spread out , I’ll think il stick to Gatwick much better run , petrol and gone up 3 p here to 136 p liter at Tesco 

19 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Took dad to Luton airport today got caught up in the M3 closure due to a car trailer on fire , then got caught up in the big trucks funeral parade for a driver who lost his life , then on way home had the M27 closed due to a rolled over truck , done a lot of detours and in the end 10 hours it took us there and back , don’t want to go back to Luton airport anytime soon not a nice airport with everything spread out , I’ll think il stick to Gatwick much better run , petrol and gone up 3 p here to 136 p liter at Tesco 

Sorry to hear that you were caught up in what looked like chaos when I saw it on the news.  I went to Tesco this morning and noticed that their petrol was 135 per litre which was actually 3p per litre more than the small garage that I have to drive past, this made me wonder if Tesco are just being greedy and fleecing their customers.  I don't need petrol but when I do I will definitely look at the small  garage on the way and compare it to Tesco before deciding where to fill up.

I am sure that Tesco's buying power probably allows them to get their petrol at lower cost than the small Independants.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Sorry to hear that you were caught up in what looked like chaos when I saw it on the news.  I went to Tesco this morning and noticed that their petrol was 135 per litre which was actually 3p per litre more than the small garage that I have to drive past, this made me wonder if Tesco are just being greedy and fleecing their customers.  I don't need petrol but when I do I will definitely look at the small  garage on the way and compare it to Tesco before deciding where to fill up.

I am sure that Tesco's buying power probably allows them to get their petrol at lower cost than the small Independants.

Pre panic buying I noticed that Tesco seemed to be more than some of the independants I went past.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

And also, how many people actually report their results ?

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Isn't the problem that when you order them, you get 7!

I felt a bit groggy, so ordered the test.  All OK. What do i do with the other 6 ?

We test at least once a week, sometimes twice, so use 4 a week, we report our test whether positive or negative, so far only negative. 

We started doing this from late July after Johnson lifted the restrictions in England. Where we volunteer we are with members of the public, some follow the suggestion to wear masks when visiting others don’t so our manager recommends we test regularly. 

One of volunteers we know on a different site tested positive she felt fine, PCR confirmed her as positive, isolated for 10 days apart from mild headache and lost of sense of smell and taste she was fine and now back. 

As from this month you need to get a code before can pick up a pack from pharmacy 

https://test-for-coronavirus.service.gov.uk/collect-lateral-flow-kits

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

By us N95 Petrol was 132.9 at Sainsbury’s this morning, up 1p  since Friday, Tesco is 133.9, the local Shell garage is 138.9. 

3 hours ago, Rebjon said:

China must be laughing all the way to the bank - have you seen where these tests are manufactured?

Those companies that we in the Governments VIP lane for contracts are probably doing better than Chinese manufacturers with their markup for doing sod all. 

43 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

By us N95 Petrol was 132.9 at Sainsbury’s this morning, up 1p  since Friday, Tesco is 133.9, the local Shell garage is 138.9. 

Rather glad I switched to electric when I did. The 300 mile drive to and from Southampton is a lot less painful when it only costs £2 not £40.

6 hours ago, picsa said:

Rather glad I switched to electric when I did. The 300 mile drive to and from Southampton is a lot less painful when it only costs £2 not £40.

I would switch but for 3 reasons haven’t 

1. Cost of buying the car in first place

2. My Garage is at far end if my Garden accessed from a side street, the quote I had to provide electricity to garage in order to install charger was eye watering, plus the additional costs of way leave.

3. Alternative parking is at front of house on road, again nowhere to charge.

• Like 1

Hi all,the lady who had covid is flying back to UK today.She text me last night to ask whether I could be on standby in case her airport taxi didn't show.I replied,sorry not taking any chances.She might be negative now but why did the guys wear spacesuits when they dropped her off last week and her daughter who flew over cuddled her when she arrived and is flying back with her.Too risky I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

I would switch but for 3 reasons haven’t 

1. Cost of buying the car in first place

2. My Garage is at far end if my Garden accessed from a side street, the quote I had to provide electricity to garage in order to install charger was eye watering, plus the additional costs of way leave.

3. Alternative parking is at front of house on road, again nowhere to charge.

I think these types of issues will affect a lot of people’s choice to move to electric.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, picsa said:

I would be interested to hear what you think about the heating in your electric car?

I had read that it is not particularly effective (and sucks the power) which could be an issue here in mid winter. How do you find it in very cold weather, below zero.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I would be interested to hear what you think about the heating in your electric car?

I had read that it is not particularly effective (and sucks the power) which could be an issue here in mid winter. How do you find it in very cold weather, below zero.

A very good point Eglesbrech, I had never thought of that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

A very good point Eglesbrech, I had never thought of that.

I am interested in getting an electric car so it would be good to hear about real user experiences. A hybrid would be better but they are being banned longer term.

My big concern would be being stuck in the snow and losing power and so also losing heating capacity.

If you run out of petrol someone / anyone can come with a can. How do they charge your electric car if you run out? Lots of questions I need to research.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I am interested in getting an electric car so it would be good to hear about real user experiences. A hybrid would be better but they are being banned longer term.

My big concern would be being stuck in the snow and losing power and so also losing heating capacity.

If you run out of petrol someone / anyone can come with a can. How do they charge your electric car if you run out? Lots of questions I need to research.

One of the countries with the highest percentage of electric cars is Norway,  so using them in low temperatures is not a problem. However, the range is reduced in cold weather,  and  when using the heater, although leaving the car in a garage overnight whilst charging, is beneficial.

I suppose it all depends on your driving habits. Unkess you regularly drive over 200 miles a day, you would have no problems in the winter with a modern electric car.

And if you run out of power, companies such as the AA come out and recharge your batteries using a small diesel generator. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Presumably the same applies to using air conditioning and other electrical systems that draw power from the battery.

I do find it interesting though that even though there don’t seem to be many public charging points around, when you do see one, it is usually not being used.

I realise that they are the cars of the future (until something better is discovered) but as their use becomes more widespread, will be be able to generate sufficient green electricity to cope with extra demand? Increasing use of fossil fuel power stations to generate more electricity to cope with increased demand for electric cars seems rather counter productive.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

do find it interesting though that even though there don’t seem to be many public charging points around, when you do see one, it is usually not being used.

Normally because it costs a lot more to use the public charging points than using off peak electricity at home.

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I have a self charging hybrid which does seem to reduce the amount of petrol I use (but not by large amounts). A self charging electric car on the other hand would be brilliant but probably impossible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

One of the countries with the highest percentage of electric cars is Norway,  so using them in low temperatures is not a problem. However, the range is reduced in cold weather,  and  when using the heater, although leaving the car in a garage overnight whilst charging, is beneficial.

I suppose it all depends on your driving habits. Unkess you regularly drive over 200 miles a day, you would have no problems in the winter with a modern electric car.

In normal circumstances that range would be absolutely fine. My concern is being stuck during winter which is not unknown up here.

Interesting point re Norway, thank you.

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

In normal circumstances that range would be absolutely fine. My concern is being stuck during winter which is not unknown up here.

Interesting point re Norway, thank you.

By all accounts,  electric cars perform better in the snow than ICE vehicles,  due to the smooth transmission of power. And a Tesla, of course, has four wheel drive.   

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

By all accounts,  electric cars perform better in the snow than ICE vehicles,  due to the smooth transmission of power. And a Tesla, of course, has four wheel drive.   

I don’t think I will be getting a Tesla (even if my husband would like one).