P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

42 minutes ago, Waju said:

Thank you Jane for your response.  I really do salute the NHS, we are lucky to have this free service and I appreciate it.  Is the shortage of doctors since the outbreak of covid or has it been coming for a while?

It's been coming for a while Waju - 5 years I would say. The co-incidence of the natural age retirements of a large number of GPs and nurses was the tipping point. The younger GPs coming through are not really interested in taking up partnerships or working the traditional hours of our now defunct family doctors. There are so many opportunities for them to work in private practice or even from their homes working for the new 24-hour advice lines - and of course there is much more money to be made that way. Sad but true. Jane.x 

• Like 4

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT......

I have decided, in my great wisdom, to have roast beef this Christmas, however my Yorkshire puddings  have an uncanny resemblance to hockey pucks, therefore I am after a "guaranteed success recipe " for individual yorkies please. 

Many thanks in advance. 

44 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Jane, a friend of ours only yesterday told us of a report that after some serious health issues double jabbing was no longer being recommended. Have you seen anything about this, as our GP surgery had told us that we would receive the covid booster and flu jab together.

No John I haven't. Our latest instruction is that we can give both together - a decision that was made last week, reversing a previous decision that there had to be a 7 day gap between the two. I'm not at work today so unless something has come through since I left last night that I'm as yet unaware of, it's still OK to give both together. I'll let you know tomorrow if that has changed. Jane.x 

• Like 2

Our GP is encouraging you not to even phone the surgery they suggest if you want an appointment to fill in an online form with details about why you want an appointment. It will then be checked and "considered" what sort of appointment you get of a face to face, telephone or zoom. For those that do not have internet access they can still answer the phones. When you do phone the receptionists have a "greater than thou" and arrogant attitude so not every GP surgery is wonderful as ours is a complete and utter joke.

4 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

I have decided, in my great wisdom, to have roast beef this Christmas, however my Yorkshire puddings  have an uncanny resemblance to hockey pucks, therefore I am after a "guaranteed success recipe " for individual yorkies please. 

Many thanks in advance. 

Auntie Bessie has a great recipe 😉

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Our surgery is insisting on a telephone consultation and then if the doctor thinks that you need to be seen in person you are given an appointment.  I had to go in to see the doctor, when I got to the surgery I went to the reception window and was told to sit in my car on the car park until I was called in.  I noticed that people without cars were standing around outside, we are coming to the winter and I am concerned about thd elderly patients who don't drive having to stand out in bad weather.

That's awful Josy and sorry to be smug but not in a million years would I let that happen. It's very interesting for me to read of the variances in practice in different parts of the country. Have a good day. Jane.x 

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Our GP is encouraging you not to even phone the surgery they suggest if you want an appointment to fill in an online form with details about why you want an appointment. It will then be checked and "considered" what sort of appointment you get of a face to face, telephone or zoom. For those that do not have internet access they can still answer the phones. When you do phone the receptionists have a "greater than thou" and arrogant attitude so not every GP surgery is wonderful as ours is a complete and utter joke.

This reminded me, a neighbour went to our local hospital for a blood test on Monday, normally you can just turn up.  On this occasion they told her she should have made an appointment on-line, she is 79 and would have no clue!  They then sent her to our 'other' hospital and they showed her to a computer terminal to make an appointment.  I do worry some of our older friends may get pushed out in all this.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Many thanks in advance. 

Love roast beef Jane and that's what we are doing too - well my daughter is. I've never cooked a Yorkshire Pudding in my life!  If it weren't for M&S I would starve! Hope you're well. Best wishes. Jane.x 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Beckett said:

It's been coming for a while Waju - 5 years I would say. The co-incidence of the natural age retirements of a large number of GPs and nurses was the tipping point. The younger GPs coming through are not really interested in taking up partnerships or working the traditional hours of our now defunct family doctors. There are so many opportunities for them to work in private practice or even from their homes working for the new 24-hour advice lines - and of course there is much more money to be made that way. Sad but true. Jane.x 

I support that Jane but would add a little to it. I found partners and salaried doctors before I retired so 2013 were very resistant to change. Telephone was the hated enemy on which they would be ruined, opening longer hours they would not rota through the day and end up working 100 hours er week and so on and so forth. Covid comes and I suspect funding was given for computer systems upgrades to support it. They had to do it and did it. Now many of them won't go back. I think it is both the encroachment of the powers that be added to resistance to change that is driving them away. The NHS is broken in many ways and the powers need to think hard how to fix it then darn well leave it alone. 

8 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Jane,we are giving  both flu and covid vaccines together, some are choosing to have one and then the other at a later date  but most are having them at the same time. Been doing this for 2 weeks now and no major  negative feedback, just the usual sore/ heavy  arm.

No we haven't either Jane - so far. Busy though isn't it? Jane.x 

Thank you to everyone for your kind comments about Charlie. He has left a hole which 3 confused junior wirey dachshunds are trying to fill once they are sure he is not hiding in the bathroom as he often did just to get away from the youngsters. 

2 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Many thanks in advance. 

I use Delia Smith's recipe, always comes out perfect,  I pour the batter into muffin tins because I prefer individual yorkies20211014_112927.thumb.jpg.a6505080f337bf0d6f4997d1a38592fc.jpg

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Our surgery is insisting on a telephone consultation and then if the doctor thinks that you need to be seen in person you are given an appointment.  I had to go in to see the doctor, when I got to the surgery I went to the reception window and was told to sit in my car on the car park until I was called in.  I noticed that people without cars were standing around outside, we are coming to the winter and I am concerned about thd elderly patients who don't drive having to stand out in bad weather.

I've heard of this too, I've also seen people queueing outside of dental practices locally. 

I went to the theatre yesterday, I travelled there and back on on a busy bus, I ate in a busy restaurant, I sat in a busy theatre - I wore a mask (except in the restaurant) but that was my choice - I would say the vast majority didn't.  I suppose my point is if I can sit in those places, and numerous others why can't I sit in a doctors waiting room or a dentists waiting room?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Many thanks in advance. 

Make the batter a few hours before cooking and let it stand, give the batter a good stir just before cooking to get some air in the mix.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry to hear that Tom and I agree that not every surgery is wonderful - mine certainly isn't but we do what we can to the best of our ability. I insist on all calls being answered personally as I want patients to hear an actual human voice and not a recording. I bet that all changes when I retire! Jane.x 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Many thanks in advance. 

There's only one basic batter recipe. I leave the batter to rest before using it, preferably in the 'fridge. Make sure the fat is sizzling/smoking hot before you pour in the batter. Half fill the patty tins and cook in a hot oven. It works for me every time, but others will have different methods which will work for them. Practice them all before Christmas and you'll find the one that works for you. Good luck.

Avril

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Waju said:

Can someone explain why GP's can't revert to face to face appointments?   Surely they don't take up anymore time than a telephone call.  I understand that some patients may prefer a telephone appointment but they are not suitable for everyone.  

I clapped every Thursday for the NHS and fully appreciate the amazing job they have done and continue to do but if I am being completely honest with you all our GP surgery needs to start and get back to normal now.  Covid jabs were done at the huge local vaccination centre, we have just had our flu jabs but they were done at the chemist attached to the surgery.  

It is so impossible to get them to answer the phone - people give up and go straight to A&E or the walk in centre. I just don't understand why things aren't slowly, slowly getting back to normal.

Since you asked, let me just show you an extract from an email from a friend who's a retired GP about her daughter, also a GP.  It speaks volumes about the facts (unlike the gutter press, which is pursuing a populist and political agenda):

".........She has several weeks’ leave still to take and is working 10 hour days. Yesterday she texted us just after 6pm to say that she had just had her 125th patient contact that day! GPs are having a really bad press but they seem to be working hard at her surgery. She is seeing quite a lot of patients face to face but what the General Public doesn’t realise is that after each patient the GP herself/himself has to scrub down all the equipment, chair, couch, door handles etc. And then wash and change, which is time-consuming at best........."

Despite all the trouble making from two newspapers in particular, most, if not all, patients who need to see a GP do see a GP, but the plain fact is that there aren't nearly enough GPs to go round, thanks to years of cutbacks.  Training more GPs is the solution - not demoralising the ones we do have to such an extent that they retire earlier than they might have done.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Many thanks in advance. 

Last year we had a Wagu Beef joint from Aldi - it was fantastic.  Normally on sale in early December- buy when you see them and freeze - they sell out rapidly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Waju said:

This reminded me, a neighbour went to our local hospital for a blood test on Monday, normally you can just turn up.  On this occasion they told her she should have made an appointment on-line, she is 79 and would have no clue!  They then sent her to our 'other' hospital and they showed her to a computer terminal to make an appointment.  I do worry some of our older friends may get pushed out in all this.

Round here all our walk in clinics for blood tests changed to appointment only as soon as Covid hit and they still are. You can phone for appointments though, although the wait on the phone can be long.

44 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

For the record, that system (askmyGP in our case, but there may be other systems) works extremely well in practice.  It enables you to summarise the problem, request a phone call, email, video call or appointment, and request a particular GP to deal with it. It's a very efficient way of dealing with matters, and far quicker on both sides than phone calls.  From a personal viewpoint, it's given me everything I could have possibly wanted or needed, from emails, through phone calls to visits to the surgery within a couple of hours.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Last year we had a Wagu Beef joint from Aldi - it was fantastic.  Normally on sale in early December- buy when you see them and freeze - they sell out rapidly. 

I agree. Most of our food came from Aldi prior to the pandemic when we could still go into shops - excellent food at much lower prices than the traditional supermarkets.  Waitrose filled any gaps.  Now it's mainly Tesco and Waitrose - resulting in an increase in spending of around 35% for much the same stuff.  Frankly, Tesco can't compete with Aldi, either on quality or price.  Waitrose can, but not on price.

Aldi has just been rated the UK’s most popular supermarket in a YouGov poll - ahead of M&S, Tesco and Sainsbury.

52 minutes ago, Waju said:

I've heard of this too, I've also seen people queueing outside of dental practices locally. 

I went to the theatre yesterday, I travelled there and back on on a busy bus, I ate in a busy restaurant, I sat in a busy theatre - I wore a mask (except in the restaurant) but that was my choice - I would say the vast majority didn't.  I suppose my point is if I can sit in those places, and numerous others why can't I sit in a doctors waiting room or a dentists waiting room?

Perhaps because doctors and dentists are professionals involved in healthcare, and take patient safety more seriously than restaurants, theatres etc?  As one of around a million people with a compromised immune system and little or no benefit from the vaccines I'm very grateful for that - because otherwise a visit to the doctor or dentist puts my life at very substantial risk.

• Like 9