P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

30 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT......

I have decided, in my great wisdom, to have roast beef this Christmas, however my Yorkshire puddings  have an uncanny resemblance to hockey pucks, therefore I am after a "guaranteed success recipe " for individual yorkies please. 

Many thanks in advance. 

There's only one basic batter recipe. I leave the batter to rest before using it, preferably in the 'fridge. Make sure the fat is sizzling/smoking hot before you pour in the batter. Half fill the patty tins and cook in a hot oven. It works for me every time, but others will have different methods which will work for them. Practice them all before Christmas and you'll find the one that works for you. Good luck.

Avril

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Waju said:

Can someone explain why GP's can't revert to face to face appointments?   Surely they don't take up anymore time than a telephone call.  I understand that some patients may prefer a telephone appointment but they are not suitable for everyone.  

I clapped every Thursday for the NHS and fully appreciate the amazing job they have done and continue to do but if I am being completely honest with you all our GP surgery needs to start and get back to normal now.  Covid jabs were done at the huge local vaccination centre, we have just had our flu jabs but they were done at the chemist attached to the surgery.  

It is so impossible to get them to answer the phone - people give up and go straight to A&E or the walk in centre. I just don't understand why things aren't slowly, slowly getting back to normal.

Since you asked, let me just show you an extract from an email from a friend who's a retired GP about her daughter, also a GP.  It speaks volumes about the facts (unlike the gutter press, which is pursuing a populist and political agenda):

".........She has several weeks’ leave still to take and is working 10 hour days. Yesterday she texted us just after 6pm to say that she had just had her 125th patient contact that day! GPs are having a really bad press but they seem to be working hard at her surgery. She is seeing quite a lot of patients face to face but what the General Public doesn’t realise is that after each patient the GP herself/himself has to scrub down all the equipment, chair, couch, door handles etc. And then wash and change, which is time-consuming at best........."

Despite all the trouble making from two newspapers in particular, most, if not all, patients who need to see a GP do see a GP, but the plain fact is that there aren't nearly enough GPs to go round, thanks to years of cutbacks.  Training more GPs is the solution - not demoralising the ones we do have to such an extent that they retire earlier than they might have done.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

I have decided, in my great wisdom, to have roast beef this Christmas, however my Yorkshire puddings  have an uncanny resemblance to hockey pucks, therefore I am after a "guaranteed success recipe " for individual yorkies please. 

Many thanks in advance. 

Last year we had a Wagu Beef joint from Aldi - it was fantastic.  Normally on sale in early December- buy when you see them and freeze - they sell out rapidly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Waju said:

This reminded me, a neighbour went to our local hospital for a blood test on Monday, normally you can just turn up.  On this occasion they told her she should have made an appointment on-line, she is 79 and would have no clue!  They then sent her to our 'other' hospital and they showed her to a computer terminal to make an appointment.  I do worry some of our older friends may get pushed out in all this.

Round here all our walk in clinics for blood tests changed to appointment only as soon as Covid hit and they still are. You can phone for appointments though, although the wait on the phone can be long.

44 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Our GP is encouraging you not to even phone the surgery they suggest if you want an appointment to fill in an online form with details about why you want an appointment. It will then be checked and "considered" what sort of appointment you get of a face to face, telephone or zoom. For those that do not have internet access they can still answer the phones. When you do phone the receptionists have a "greater than thou" and arrogant attitude so not every GP surgery is wonderful as ours is a complete and utter joke.

For the record, that system (askmyGP in our case, but there may be other systems) works extremely well in practice.  It enables you to summarise the problem, request a phone call, email, video call or appointment, and request a particular GP to deal with it. It's a very efficient way of dealing with matters, and far quicker on both sides than phone calls.  From a personal viewpoint, it's given me everything I could have possibly wanted or needed, from emails, through phone calls to visits to the surgery within a couple of hours.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Last year we had a Wagu Beef joint from Aldi - it was fantastic.  Normally on sale in early December- buy when you see them and freeze - they sell out rapidly. 

I agree. Most of our food came from Aldi prior to the pandemic when we could still go into shops - excellent food at much lower prices than the traditional supermarkets.  Waitrose filled any gaps.  Now it's mainly Tesco and Waitrose - resulting in an increase in spending of around 35% for much the same stuff.  Frankly, Tesco can't compete with Aldi, either on quality or price.  Waitrose can, but not on price.

Aldi has just been rated the UK’s most popular supermarket in a YouGov poll - ahead of M&S, Tesco and Sainsbury.

52 minutes ago, Waju said:

I've heard of this too, I've also seen people queueing outside of dental practices locally. 

I went to the theatre yesterday, I travelled there and back on on a busy bus, I ate in a busy restaurant, I sat in a busy theatre - I wore a mask (except in the restaurant) but that was my choice - I would say the vast majority didn't.  I suppose my point is if I can sit in those places, and numerous others why can't I sit in a doctors waiting room or a dentists waiting room?

Perhaps because doctors and dentists are professionals involved in healthcare, and take patient safety more seriously than restaurants, theatres etc?  As one of around a million people with a compromised immune system and little or no benefit from the vaccines I'm very grateful for that - because otherwise a visit to the doctor or dentist puts my life at very substantial risk.

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

Avril, no offence to your kindness on posting your lovely recipe, it  does appear like a lot of work 🙂

I am sure that the way you have suggested is lovely

Just a polite reply to a poster's genuine question. No work is involved if doing something you find enjoyable and rewarding. 

Avril

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Just a polite reply to a poster's genuine question. No work is involved if doing something you find enjoyable and rewarding. 

Avril

... And they taste better than anything you could buy out of a supermarket :classic_smile:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Oh yes they do. The ready made puddings are nothing but air and wouldn't fill a fly.

Avril

Yorkshire pudding is so easy to make and tastes great, we love our puds and are having them tonight with chilli sausage, onion, peppers and lashings of gravy. I also make pizza using Yorkshire pudding as a base, which we prefer to normal pizza base.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Good morning I hope everyone is ok today :classic_smile: @ccpm I guess your feeling it with

the loss of your faithful friend, the house will feel a little empty but remember all the

happier times the dog gave you ,they stay in your heart forever :classic_love:

Sorry to read about Deligirl & Avrils family with the covid .I agree with Avril this thing 

aint done with us yet and vaccinated or not it should never be taken for granted .

Only last night one of the daughters rang up and told us she is still waiting their second

jab and that our 11 year old has now succumb too and tested positive . They are isolating

because of it but the Grandson heading on for 15 year old does not have to based just on 

his age ,which I find weird :classic_unsure: We had a chat with the Granddaughter and she was in high

spirits and said " Nanan & Granddad  not to worry as she feels ok " Lets hope it stays that way.

So under orders from her ,worry we wont ! Not even about what#s in a newspaper .

I once asked my Granddaughter had they got a newspaper I could borrow. She said that "newspapers are so out of date", and that people now use tablets, so she handed me her

iPad. That Fly didn't stand a chance.:classic_ohmy: I like to glance through the paper headlines and 

2 days ago a paper put "Christmas is doomed as containers are stuck in the port " and 

the very same paper the next day read " Christmas will be ok dont panic it's not as bad today ":classic_wacko: the paper is not bothered as long as the paper sells ! My Granddad had the right idea by cutting it into small squares and putting it to good use on the toilet ! That wasn't a good experience either :classic_unsure:

Anyway hope you all have a good day and stay safe :classic_smile::classic_love:

Sorry to hear about your granddaughter testing positive Kalos.

Prayers 🙏 that she recovers quickly and the rest of the family are well.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Yorkshire pudding is so easy to make and tastes great, we love our puds and are having them tonight with chilli sausage, onion, peppers and lashings of gravy. I also make pizza using Yorkshire pudding as a base, which we prefer to normal pizza base.

Sounds delicious.

28 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I'll have to get our local restaurant to do a combo like that.I'll call it octopus in the hole.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Many thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, Waju said:

Auntie Bessie has a great recipe 😉

My hubby prefers the M&S ones, they are good as I always forget about them until just about to dish up, 

4 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Not necessarily......😂I have been known to c0ck up the most simple stuff!

An almost foolproof way is get a 2pt measuring jug  and fill it 1/4 way-ish with plain flour.

add a pinch of salt and two eggs and pour in milk until they cover the eggs .

Now get a fork and start to mix and gradually add cold water and beat the hell out of it 

until there is no lumps and you have a smooth mixture . If the mixture falls slowly off the

prongs of the fork that is about the right texture for your batter . leave it to rest .

Turn on your oven about 220.c and put a little fat or oil into your pudding tray and let it get 

really hot and up to temperature. Give the batter a quick stir and pour into the sizzling oil 

and return to the oven soon as possible and close the oven door and reduce temp to 200.c 

Twenty to twenty five minutes later you  should have something that looks and tastes like

a half decent Yorkshire pudding . You will get better and adapt with time just remember to

use a fork to mix as said earlier  it will help you get the right thickness of the batter .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

If I remember rightly, self raising flour = doughy puds,plain = fluffy.Years ago I preferred the former.

We only ever use plain, but that is how we like them, a friend always uses 3 eggs with the standard ratio of other ingredients. Whatever floats your boat.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I totally get your point Harry about the press and they’re really winding me up with the shortages news too as this will bring more panic buying.

However not all GP surgeries are as good as yours and I get at least one phone call a day in my job at people turning to our community service because they can’t get any answer from their GP.

Our GP practice was struggling pre-covid and I’m afraid that things have gone from bad to worse. We know of local mothers resorting to A&E miles away because they just can’t access any medical practitioners locally. I remember how panicky I became if mine were unwell as infants but we could always see somebody the very same day or the following day. I haven’t commented on this issue before because I do feel for many of you here who are doing your very best within the NHS, but people around here are very very unhappy with the local practice. I’m not talking about waiting lists, just basic general care. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Our GP practice was struggling pre-covid and I’m afraid that things have gone from bad to worse. We know of local mothers resorting to A&E miles away because they just can’t access any medical practitioners locally. I remember how panicky I became if mine were unwell as infants but we could always see somebody the very same day or the following day. I haven’t commented on this issue before because I do feel for many of you here who are doing your very best within the NHS, but people around here are very very unhappy with the local practice. I’m not talking about waiting lists, just basic general care. 

I'm sorry to hear that, Ardennais, but from what I gather (and it's based solely on media coverage - please correct me if I'm wrong) the Welsh NHS has an even bigger problem that the English NHS, and that goes back to pre-Covid days.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

I'm sorry to hear that, Ardennais, but from what I gather (and it's based solely on media coverage - please correct me if I'm wrong) the Welsh NHS has an even bigger problem that the English NHS, and that goes back to pre-Covid days.

You’re right. It’s very difficult to attract GPs to rural practices and just before covid, one local practice had to close. So now all those patients have joined the town practice but no additional doctors. My parents are in close contact (!!) with the practice, and my mother in particular has been appalled at the tone used by some of the receptionists. I get it that they’re probably in the front line, but there’s no excuse for some interactions. What’s the point of urging people to report symptoms quickly if you can’t see anybody face to face for weeks? And why should somebody who’s plucked the courage to ask for an appointment have to spell out the issue in detail to a receptionist? 

• Like 4