P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

24 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

Avril, no offence to your kindness on posting your lovely recipe, it  does appear like a lot of work 🙂

I am sure that the way you have suggested is lovely

Just a polite reply to a poster's genuine question. No work is involved if doing something you find enjoyable and rewarding. 

Avril

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Just a polite reply to a poster's genuine question. No work is involved if doing something you find enjoyable and rewarding. 

Avril

... And they taste better than anything you could buy out of a supermarket :classic_smile:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Oh yes they do. The ready made puddings are nothing but air and wouldn't fill a fly.

Avril

Yorkshire pudding is so easy to make and tastes great, we love our puds and are having them tonight with chilli sausage, onion, peppers and lashings of gravy. I also make pizza using Yorkshire pudding as a base, which we prefer to normal pizza base.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Good morning I hope everyone is ok today :classic_smile: @ccpm I guess your feeling it with

the loss of your faithful friend, the house will feel a little empty but remember all the

happier times the dog gave you ,they stay in your heart forever :classic_love:

Sorry to read about Deligirl & Avrils family with the covid .I agree with Avril this thing 

aint done with us yet and vaccinated or not it should never be taken for granted .

Only last night one of the daughters rang up and told us she is still waiting their second

jab and that our 11 year old has now succumb too and tested positive . They are isolating

because of it but the Grandson heading on for 15 year old does not have to based just on 

his age ,which I find weird :classic_unsure: We had a chat with the Granddaughter and she was in high

spirits and said " Nanan & Granddad  not to worry as she feels ok " Lets hope it stays that way.

So under orders from her ,worry we wont ! Not even about what#s in a newspaper .

I once asked my Granddaughter had they got a newspaper I could borrow. She said that "newspapers are so out of date", and that people now use tablets, so she handed me her

iPad. That Fly didn't stand a chance.:classic_ohmy: I like to glance through the paper headlines and 

2 days ago a paper put "Christmas is doomed as containers are stuck in the port " and 

the very same paper the next day read " Christmas will be ok dont panic it's not as bad today ":classic_wacko: the paper is not bothered as long as the paper sells ! My Granddad had the right idea by cutting it into small squares and putting it to good use on the toilet ! That wasn't a good experience either :classic_unsure:

Anyway hope you all have a good day and stay safe :classic_smile::classic_love:

Sorry to hear about your granddaughter testing positive Kalos.

Prayers 🙏 that she recovers quickly and the rest of the family are well.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Yorkshire pudding is so easy to make and tastes great, we love our puds and are having them tonight with chilli sausage, onion, peppers and lashings of gravy. I also make pizza using Yorkshire pudding as a base, which we prefer to normal pizza base.

Sounds delicious.

28 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I'll have to get our local restaurant to do a combo like that.I'll call it octopus in the hole.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT......

I have decided, in my great wisdom, to have roast beef this Christmas, however my Yorkshire puddings  have an uncanny resemblance to hockey pucks, therefore I am after a "guaranteed success recipe " for individual yorkies please. 

Many thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, Waju said:

Auntie Bessie has a great recipe 😉

My hubby prefers the M&S ones, they are good as I always forget about them until just about to dish up, 

4 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Not necessarily......😂I have been known to c0ck up the most simple stuff!

An almost foolproof way is get a 2pt measuring jug  and fill it 1/4 way-ish with plain flour.

add a pinch of salt and two eggs and pour in milk until they cover the eggs .

Now get a fork and start to mix and gradually add cold water and beat the hell out of it 

until there is no lumps and you have a smooth mixture . If the mixture falls slowly off the

prongs of the fork that is about the right texture for your batter . leave it to rest .

Turn on your oven about 220.c and put a little fat or oil into your pudding tray and let it get 

really hot and up to temperature. Give the batter a quick stir and pour into the sizzling oil 

and return to the oven soon as possible and close the oven door and reduce temp to 200.c 

Twenty to twenty five minutes later you  should have something that looks and tastes like

a half decent Yorkshire pudding . You will get better and adapt with time just remember to

use a fork to mix as said earlier  it will help you get the right thickness of the batter .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

If I remember rightly, self raising flour = doughy puds,plain = fluffy.Years ago I preferred the former.

We only ever use plain, but that is how we like them, a friend always uses 3 eggs with the standard ratio of other ingredients. Whatever floats your boat.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I totally get your point Harry about the press and they’re really winding me up with the shortages news too as this will bring more panic buying.

However not all GP surgeries are as good as yours and I get at least one phone call a day in my job at people turning to our community service because they can’t get any answer from their GP.

Our GP practice was struggling pre-covid and I’m afraid that things have gone from bad to worse. We know of local mothers resorting to A&E miles away because they just can’t access any medical practitioners locally. I remember how panicky I became if mine were unwell as infants but we could always see somebody the very same day or the following day. I haven’t commented on this issue before because I do feel for many of you here who are doing your very best within the NHS, but people around here are very very unhappy with the local practice. I’m not talking about waiting lists, just basic general care. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Our GP practice was struggling pre-covid and I’m afraid that things have gone from bad to worse. We know of local mothers resorting to A&E miles away because they just can’t access any medical practitioners locally. I remember how panicky I became if mine were unwell as infants but we could always see somebody the very same day or the following day. I haven’t commented on this issue before because I do feel for many of you here who are doing your very best within the NHS, but people around here are very very unhappy with the local practice. I’m not talking about waiting lists, just basic general care. 

I'm sorry to hear that, Ardennais, but from what I gather (and it's based solely on media coverage - please correct me if I'm wrong) the Welsh NHS has an even bigger problem that the English NHS, and that goes back to pre-Covid days.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

I'm sorry to hear that, Ardennais, but from what I gather (and it's based solely on media coverage - please correct me if I'm wrong) the Welsh NHS has an even bigger problem that the English NHS, and that goes back to pre-Covid days.

You’re right. It’s very difficult to attract GPs to rural practices and just before covid, one local practice had to close. So now all those patients have joined the town practice but no additional doctors. My parents are in close contact (!!) with the practice, and my mother in particular has been appalled at the tone used by some of the receptionists. I get it that they’re probably in the front line, but there’s no excuse for some interactions. What’s the point of urging people to report symptoms quickly if you can’t see anybody face to face for weeks? And why should somebody who’s plucked the courage to ask for an appointment have to spell out the issue in detail to a receptionist? 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just to let you know Harry that further to yesterday's multiple discussions, the media coverage, the general beating up of GPs and GP surgeries, as of 11.30am today no-one has heard anything official from the government or NHS England.  Nothing.  We are in the dark as always but ready to fight the good fight!  Have a good day and best wishes.  Jane.x

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We only ever use plain, but that is how we like them, a friend always uses 3 eggs with the standard ratio of other ingredients. Whatever floats your boat.

James Martin recommended 4 eggs the last time I saw him do Yorkshire puddings on TV.

Edited by majortom10

21 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

James Martin recommended 4 eggs the last time I saw him do Yorkshire puddings on TV.

The egg is in ratio to the flour and milk you will see James Martin using 3 eggs in some of his shows.

All down to the amount you want to make really ,I sometimes make spare batter for pancakes etc  so will use more eggs and flour and the liquids .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

It is a cold 10°C but sunny.

When I ring my GP surgery there is a 3 minutes introduction and it says reception staff are authorised to ask questions to guide us to the best treatment either nurse,phone or doctor and what times to ring for test results, appointments or general enquiries.

It is usually 2-5 days waiting time for telephone or face to face appointments.

Masks to be worn,hands to be sanitised and social distancing in the waiting room.

Graham.

• Like 3

After heavy rain overnight its now very bright and sunny. I am having to almost have a lie down after my next door neighbour came to ask to borrow my wheel barrow. Then spent 15 minutes telling me it was about time I had done something with my garden as it let the street down. Never mind I bought the worst house on the street have spent a fortune on it with a dumb ass builder who turned up when he thought he would and then oh yes Covid. Until to day he has never even said hello. I almost snatched my wheelbarrow back. Plus who the heck can see my garden unless they peer out of their upstairs windows - obviously him. 

A nippy start here, only 7oC at 09:30 when we went out with a chill in the air, now a toasty 12oC in lovely sun. We have been to Bradford today, years since we last went. probably be years before we go again. Bradford architecture is quite spectacular and well worth seeing, it is such a shame some of our once great cities are declining.

• Like 3

The winding knob fell out of my watch on Monday,it cost over 200 quid so I took it into the village jewellers,he said  he would have to send it away.Went there today and it was all finished and working.15 euro Signor.What the hell,how does he make money.

• Like 1